The Student Room Group

Complicated Sitatution HELP Student Finance

Hi Guys,

Really need some help.

I'll just give a run down for the last 3-4 years i haven't lived at home, i was with living with my ex girlfriend for 3 years and my other ex girlfriend last year (by live with i mean both them and their mothers). I was in work sometimes and out of work others due to temp & 0 hour contracts in which period i claimed JSA.

My mother does not financially support me in anyway and she does not work as she has severe spinal problems consequently in receipt of ESA. We have a rocky relationship and don't talk very often.

In July my dad passed away and i split up with my ex girlfriend and i am currently living in his house with my brothers. I work a 32 hour week and have been in work since i moved into this property (August)

Now my problem is, i am trying to apply as a self supported student being as my parents have not provided for me for the last 3-4 years. The problem is to be classed as self supported you have to earn a threshold of £7500 per year over the 3 years of which i didn't. I rang Student Finance and they have asked me to get my benefit history from DWP and employment history from HRMC and attach a covering letter with these detailing the situation.

The lady on the phone said that they may not class me as a self supported student as i may not of earn't over the threshold, in which case i have to declare my parents earnings.
So what do i do! If i'm not granted the self support application then i can't afford to go to University :frown:

I've worked so hard for this and i have received an unconditional offer and paid my deposit on my accommodation.

Really stressing guys!
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you still in contact with your mother?
Reply 2
If the household income on which you're assessed has dropped by 15% or more since the year you'll be assessed on, then you can apply to be assessed on the current year.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Are you still in contact with your mother?

Nope
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
How old are you? Once you hit 25 you will automatically be considered independent. If you go to uni full-time and have no other source of income, you will get the maximum loan/grant.

So you may not be able to go to uni immediately, but you will be able to go at some point.

Doesn't help with the current problem I know, but uni isn't financially out of reach for good.
Reply 5
I'm 21 so yeah it's still a while off.

I'm awaiting the documents from DWP and HMRC before i send it off with a letter.

I just hope it gets accepted because i genuinely have been self-supported and not living with parents.

If I don't I think it's disgusting. Why should someone have to wait for years to take an opportunity that everyone else has due to personal things happening in their life and getting dealt a bad hand of cards.

All I want to do is achieve and better myself and my situation but it's looking like a loosing battle.

So fed up, lets just hope whoever assess' my application can empathise.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest