The Student Room Group

Need advise for the future!

Hey guys, basically i am 16 and still doing my GCSE's. I don't want to hear 'just focus on your GCSE's' please, i need some advise. I may possibly go into business as it interests me and is something that would always be in demand. What type of businesses are good? And what qualifications would be good to go into business and what specific business jobs would be great. My plan is to go into business in my 20s and then own my own business when i am around 27 ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Honestly to make yourself more employable and to gain the experience for starting your own business I'd advise looking at a degree or apprenticeship. You need to define what you mean by good?
Original post by Aliobeid
Hey guys, basically i am 16 and still doing my GCSE's. I don't want to hear 'just focus on your GCSE's' please, i need some advise. I may possibly go into business as it interests me and is something that would always be in demand. What type of businesses are good? And what qualifications would be good to go into business and what specific business jobs would be great. My plan is to go into business in my 20s and then own my own business when i am around 27 ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Batman V Superman: Dawn of justice
Reply 3
Original post by snowy173
Honestly to make yourself more employable and to gain the experience for starting your own business I'd advise looking at a degree or apprenticeship. You need to define what you mean by good?

I will hopefully start my own business when i am 27 ish, but firstly, i want a job with a decent salary and something i can work hard and get promoted in, but in the business sector. What job would be good? And what qualifications shall i do? I've chose business studies for one of my A levels next year. I dislike maths though.
Reply 4
To be honest, "business" is too wide a term. Anything from scrap metal dealing to ice cream manufacture, through film promotion, stockbroking and running a strip club, is "business".

You need to have some sort of more specific interest before you can really make any plans. Your A Level may give you a better idea.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
To be honest, "business" is too wide a term. Anything from scrap metal dealing to ice cream manufacture, through film promotion, stockbroking and running a strip club, is "business".

You need to have some sort of more specific interest before you can really make any plans. Your A Level may give you a better idea.

I see... I am choosing business studies for A level. How can i narrow down what type of a business i'd want to start off with for my first job? Like what field i'd want to get into and work for?
Reply 6
This is the central careers advice website:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/

It details a range of potential fields and the types of qualifications which will help you get there. As you don't have any specific interests, you can just have a browse around.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88

It details a range of potential fields and the types of qualifications which will help you get there. As you don't have any specific interests, you can just have a browse around.

Won't let me sign up, ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88

Would have to have finished uni or started college ... Sadly i'm in my GCSE's. But i'll look around :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Aliobeid
Won't let me sign up, ha

You don't have to sign up to read it, nor did I intend you to use its services :smile: I was suggesting it so that you could get a better idea of the range of potential employment you could consider.

If you click the "Job Sectors" tab, it will walk you through many fields of employment, most (if not all) of which will include an element of 'business'.

Ultimately, we can't tell you what you want to do. I suspect the answer might become clearer as you work through school qualifications. Some answers just take time. I didn't decide what I wanted to do with my life until I was in my forties.

Quick Reply