The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ICT is Informaton and Communication technology. Basically, to do with computers.
The thing is, I heard that if I want to study in the UK and come back to Spain and practise Law here, that means I need to do Law with Spanish, therefore, I need to take Spanish as an A Level too!

The sucky thing at my school is, everyone takes four A Levels max. So I see you have done 6, at IB, but I can only choose 4, and on top of that, I need to drop one after Year 12, so I am left with 3 A Levels.

Do you know by any chance, which universities in the UK offer law? I've heard King's does, and LSE, but do they offer Law with Spanish?
Well, I want to do Law with Politic's in two years time. I just did my GCSE's and I got in to Grammar School. Im in Northern Ireland, so I have to choose only 4 subjects and then at the end of the year drop to three. Therefore, I'm from Poland and so I'm doing five A-levels:
1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politic's & Government
4) ICT
5) Polich Language

Also, i'm doing lots of social programms: Link Up Programme, Breakthru Programme, School Magazine, Being Creative Network and I'm in school council. Also, my main aime, and all students that want to go to any University, is to get 100% attendance.

I went just couple days ago to Queens University in Belfast and there was an information night where was principal, teachers who teach Law and few Lawyers. Queens want AAA at A-levels or AAB + A A/S Level. Except of results, they want to see at least two community programms, attendance above 95% of last two or three years of school and perfecy communication skills: the inetrview is like 20 minutes and you have to talk and talk and talk and listen and talk and I mean it, it is crushial to have up-to-date portfolio and lots of extra-circulate activities.

The lawyers that I talk to after bars and everything, they're saying that Law isn't for weak and who want to sleep lots. One of the Lawyers said that on his first year it happen that he slept 3 or less hours per day! Also, very important is to be up-to-date with law and politics.

What I would prefer is to do for A-levels:
English ( either Lit or Lang, in my school there is no lang for a levels)
History ( its pretty crushial, lawyers says so, so it must be true!)
Religion ( well, in Northern Ireland on RE there is more History than RE)
Politics ( for simple Law and for Law with Politics; its great for law)

Languages ( Well, I'm Polish so I do Polish Lang but french, spanish etc)
ICT ( Always good to know it for anything you want to do in future)
Economics ( Well, it is pretty important )
Law ( There is no law in my school, therefore, I don't know if I would do it anyway :/ Teachers in Queens said it is useless because mainly out of date and inaccurate with what the are teaching!)
Sociology or Psychology ( everything about people is great for Law!!)

Do not choose subjects like: health and social care, child development, home economics, technology or so. Practical subjects are useless for Law and even while they count for Universities, University wants more teory and writing skills than theory. Also, they will not help you in future in Law University, and as much informations you have on Law, much chances you have to survive.

I on my own know three people who went for Law at Queens and did drop it after a month or so. One friend stay for a yers and then change to do Politics. After a term she decide that it isn't for her either and she left University to go to work. Another friend drop the Law after term and went for Business. He stayed there then, Law was too paper and book base. Then the third friend went for a Law for a month and decide that it isn't for him and went to the work and next year he went on the Architecture. He loved it- and he get in without neither Art nor Technology, he did portfolio on his own at those free month of the school and just got graduated in Architecture.

Make sure Law is for you: work experiences, University visites, part-time job at Solicitor office are perfect to make sure are you really up to law. I was twice in Solicitor Office for work experience, I'm going for every University open day and on summer I worked in the Solicitors office. I know Law is for me!

Sorry for the lenght but Law isn't easy subject and make sure you up to it. Many years of University, sleepless nights and lots of work- that is Law.

Paulina Catherine

P.S. If you have any Solicitor offices in town, go and ask for advice, work experience or even help to choose some books that could help for you at the University. Sometimes getting in to University doesn't mean stying on it :frown: Remember.
Reply 22
Hi, im in year 11 now, and i have to choose my subjects, my school provides the IB curriculum, i want to do medical law, and im not sure how this works. Do i study for law first, or do can i start with medical law straight away? and can anyone recommend some uni's for these courses?

Im in the science stream, and im planning on taking biology, chemistry, economics, math, and english, and french.
Any advice? would appreciate it! thanks! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending