The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Original post by infairverona
Hi!

I'm not sure this is the right place for my post but hopefully somebody can help :smile:

I have been suffering anxiety/depression related issues for about four years with no help. Today I finally went to my GP about anxiety and she told me to self-refer to my local community services for a course of CBT, and then go back afterwards to discuss if I need beta blockers or antidepressants.

I have two questions for anyone who has done a similar route to me; firstly, my doctor asked me if I was depressed and I said 'I don't think so, I don't know' and we left it at that. However, looking at the questionnaire I have to complete before my telephone assessment with the community services, depression questions are included and tbh I want to answer it honestly. Doing this will mean answering 'most days/lots of days' to a lot of the depression criteria. How would this link with the service? Do they assess you and diagnose or is it just assessing for the purposes of what treatment you need?

Secondly, do you have much say in your CBT? My GP said it would be either one on one or a group session, and either 6, 9 or 10 sessions. My main anxiety comes from situations involving strangers, situations where I don't know who will be there or if I will not know anybody there, etc. Would I be reasonable in requesting one on one sessions at least at first? I really don't think I would be comfortable or able to attend group sessions and I really want to get this sorted, it ruined my first and second year uni grades and now I've graduated it's stopping me from taking part in all of the courses my employer wants to put me on. But, due to the nature of WHY I am going for this treatment, I really don't want to do a group session :frown:

Any thoughts or experiences of others would be really helpful and hopefully calm me down a bit!

Welcome! I don't think there's anything wrong in saying you prefer 1:1. Make it clear to them why and they will hopefully seriously consider 1:1 :yes:
Once again going to bed late. Seem to be excited by the election, but slightly at the expense of my health, my anxiety has certainly spiked this evening :/
gonna fail my ****ing test tomorrow because i cant sleep and i just have intrusive thoughts and they will not go
Have lay in bed for like 2 hours but my mind just doesn't want to be quiet and let me sleep. :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh God I need to get to bed because I'm entering the alpha-beta mode but I'm so scared of the election and my eye test tomorrow ahh conflicted
Feel uptight.
Original post by Pathway
gonna fail my ****ing test tomorrow because i cant sleep and i just have intrusive thoughts and they will not go

Good luck for your exam Pathway! You will be great! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm. Hello all. :h:
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Hmm. Hello all. :h:

:hi:
Original post by superwolf
:hi:

Herro :wavey:
Herro :wavey:

How's tricks? :bebored:
How's tricks? :bebored:

Better than yesterday/day before-you?
Better than yesterday/day before-you?

Same. :smile:
No idea how im gonna wake up tomorrow or saturday! So tired all ready!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
No idea how im gonna wake up tomorrow or saturday! So tired all ready!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you start your job yet? :teeth:
Same. :smile:

Good to hear.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
I'm taking a bit of a break from writing my PS atm :smile: But I will do soon! I start my volunteering with the gardening group next week :redface: bit nervous but it'll be nice to get out of the house I guess.

They are super cute :smile:

Yeah, I'm currently debating whether £90 is too much money to spend on 3 private lessons :colondollar: I've entered my schools annual competition in September and I desperately need help for my routine but can't get it in class so will have to do privates... and privates are fun, but eep, expensive.

Super tired and mopey tonight. I understand why he won't but I wish my ex would just text me or communicate in someway :frown: He said before he left we'd stay friends, well I don't think not talking for three weeks bar one text message is staying friends :frown:

Awesome, let me know how the volunteering goes. :smile: And PM me any time about the PS too.

I'd actually say £90 for three private lessons is pretty good going, assuming that's an hour each time. It's a lot of money, yeah, but if it's something you're passionate about and that you really want to advance in then I think it'll give you a lot more confidence. :yy: And I've spent a ton of money on my hobbies/mice recently, because I know I'll get something good out of it.

:hugs: Hope you're feeling better today.
Did you start your job yet? :teeth:

Yeah i started last week, so tired when i get home, how i used to do this more than 2 nights a week i dont know!!!

But the weeks super busy as i have first aid training all day saturday aswell as my normal hours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
just got back to uni. feel low as hell. also just before he went, dad couldn't resist mentioning how I 'look like a completely different person now I've packed on so much weight'. thanks a lot. try being as ill as I am constantly and not turning to drink/drugs/food/something which helps to take the pain away. also he found the book 'reasons to stay alive' and was questioning me about it. feeling ****.

Latest