The Student Room Group

Hmm grade progress

Just started my AS year and I've been getting Bs in English with one C (and I am bound to get a D or lower in one I will be getting back on friday) - will it be possible/is it likely that I will get an A by the end of the year?

I know it's a bit soon to be thinking about it and stuff but I've got my heard set on a uni that requires AAB (with an A in English) so I really want to work hard now to get up to consistent A grades.
Reply 1
It's easily possible for you to get an A at the end of the year. I never got anything above a B in English essays, and I got a fair few C's and D's :mad:
But I got an A at the end of the year.
I think the most important thing is to know your assessment objectives, so knowing what you have to write about and will get marks for, eg form, language and structure, but also to remember to put in some of your own original ideas about a text or whatever the exam's on.
Reply 2
Thanks Rogue. :smile:
Reply 3
yeah absolutely. It's quite a hard transition from GCSE to AS level for most, and you'll find that by summer exams time, your written language and english would've improved a lot.
Definitely. I was getting Ds in my English lit essays at the start of Year 12, then I went up to Cs and by the end of the year, it was a curious mix of Bs and Cs with the odd A and the odd D :confused: I got an A on my coursework and Bs in both exams, which was 3 marks off an A overall. As Rogue275 said, assessment objectives are really important. You also need to know your texts inside out, especially for closed text exams. If you do coursework, it really is worth giving it everything you've got and putting loads of effort in because it will take the pressure off a bit for the exams.
Don't forget that if you really badly in an exam you can always retake it.
Reply 6
With english it really is a case of practising writing essays. The best preperation for exams is rereading the texts so you really engage with the characters and themes.

Latest

Trending

Trending