The Student Room Group

Prince Charles seeks more powerful role as King

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CuddlyViking

Providing he keeps his opinions to himself a monarchy is preferable to a republic because it's part of the history of the country and pumps money into the tourist economy in a way I don't think a president ever would.

Totally, I heard Versailles barely gets any visitors these days due to the fact there are no Capetians in residence :rolleyes:

Out of interest, I am in favour of retaining the monarchy as long as they stick to the guidelines you laid out above. But tourism is probably the most feeble reason for retaining the monarchy I can think of. Leaving aside the fact it has no basis in reality, the only arguments that are supportable are, "What is the best form of government for the British people?". Everything else is irrelevant
Original post by young_guns
I'm sorry, what you're saying is completely incomprehensible.

Really? What do you think I said?
Reply 62
Totally, I heard Versailles barely gets any visitors these days due to the fact there are no Capetians in residence :rolleyes:

Out of interest, I am in favour of retaining the monarchy as long as they stick to the guidelines you laid out above. But tourism is probably the most feeble reason for retaining the monarchy I can think of. Leaving aside the fact it has no basis in reality, the only arguments that are supportable are, "What is the best form of government for the British people?". Everything else is irrelevant

Of course tourists visit the empty buildings in France but what about the hundreds of the thousands that came just for the Royal wedding, the jubilee, the birth of Prince George? all the extra extra visitors, merchandise sales (tax income) and the world wide media attention on the UK all those events got for the UK for free, they were all headline news in every nation.
Reply 63
Original post by Ace123
Of course tourists visit the empty buildings in France but what about the hundreds of the thousands that came just for the Royal wedding

The government actually said the Royal Wedding dented GDP growth.

In the tourism stakes, France is the most visited country in the world. The UK is in eighth place
Well rightly or wrongly the monarchy is seen abroad, especially in the States, as an important element of British history and culture, and that is all part of the package that entices people to visit London. Of course tourism wouldn't stop if we had a president but the monarchy is part of our USP as a tourist destination.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/19/becoming-king-not-silence-prince-charles-allies

To my mind, this is unacceptable. He seems to believe he can unilaterally change the role of the monarchy in public life and abandon the fundamental idea that the monarch must be apolitical and uncontroversial. He wants to be free to make public interventions into the political realm where and when he sees fit. He's playing a dangerous game, and risks the future of the institution itself.

Also, the idea that a man as out of touch as Prince Charles believing he will "relay public opinion to those in power" is puerile. The man is beginning to lose touch with reality.

"Sources close to the heir"... yeah, sounds really reliable, lol.

Non-story.
Original post by Ace123
Of course tourists visit the empty buildings in France but what about the hundreds of the thousands that came just for the Royal wedding, the jubilee, the birth of Prince George? all the extra extra visitors, merchandise sales (tax income) and the world wide media attention on the UK all those events got for the UK for free, they were all headline news in every nation.

Exactly.

Tourism is a perfectly valid argument. The global interest in our royal family isn't limited to the buildings.
Reply 67
He can't intervene in Law Making, which is what I think he desires. It's always nice to hear someone else going on about the environment with saccharine quality sentimentalities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RayApparently
To anyone who thinks politicians are out of touch - multiply that disconnection a hundred-fold and you'll have a Prince.

This is utter guff. The monarchy maintain our traditions. In a constitutional monarchy, it is not just the Rule of One, but the Example of One. Families are constructed and relationships built and taste replicated to fit the royal model. They have the largest stake in the nation, and the queen is doing a terrible job of keeping her subjects secure. I hope the new king is stronger and actually pays attention to what parliament is doing. Hell, the house of Lords won't anymore.

What you're forgetting is that politicians aim to make as much money for themselves as possible, whilst the monarch already has vast wealth: what they want is something completely different. They are here for, potentially, forever. A government is in power for 4-10 years.

To the anarchists and federalists, let me ask you this: since the increase in democracy and destabalisation of our institutions, have we become more or less corrupt?
Original post by HigherMinion
This is utter guff. The monarchy maintain our traditions. In a constitutional monarchy, it is not just the Rule of One, but the Example of One. Families are constructed and relationships built and taste replicated to fit the royal model. They have the largest stake in the nation, and the queen is doing a terrible job of keeping her subjects secure. I hope the new king is stronger and actually pays attention to what parliament is doing. Hell, the house of Lords won't anymore.

What you're forgetting is that politicians aim to make as much money for themselves as possible, whilst the monarch already has vast wealth: what they want is something completely different. They are here for, potentially, forever. A government is in power for 4-10 years.

To the anarchists and federalists, let me ask you this: since the increase in democracy and destabalisation of our institutions, have we become more or less corrupt?

I'm not sure how to reply seeing as what you've written isn't relevant to what I wrote...
I'm not sure how to reply seeing as what you've written isn't relevant to what I wrote...

tl;dr is that the monarchy is a landed family like the majority. Unlike politicians the monarchy actually want their subjects to be content.

You can't reply because you are wrong that the royals are out of touch with the majority.
tl;dr is that the monarchy is a landed family like the majority. Unlike politicians the monarchy actually want their subjects to be content.

You can't reply because you are wrong that the royals are out of touch with the majority.

You didn't mention 'being in touch' in your post. Wanting subjects to be content =/= being in touch.
You didn't mention 'being in touch' in your post. Wanting subjects to be content =/= being in touch.

Understanding the issues at hand and being able to deliver is what makes them in touch. Unfortunately, the monarchy has had to remain inert for the last century because of neoliberalism attempting to delegitimise the crown. The problem with removing the crown is you end up with another USA government, rife with corruption and nothing to limit it's power.
Understanding the issues at hand and being able to deliver is what makes them in touch. Unfortunately, the monarchy has had to remain inert for the last century because of neoliberalism attempting to delegitimise the crown. The problem with removing the crown is you end up with another USA government, rife with corruption and nothing to limit it's power.

Removing the crown and not having Prince Charles 'seek a more powerful role as King' are two very different things.
Removing the crown and not having Prince Charles 'seek a more powerful role as King' are two very different things.

What you want to see is an inert monarch. This is effectively the same thing.
What you want to see is an inert monarch. This is effectively the same thing.

Minions will always need masters hey?
Minions will always need masters hey?

Whereas you would rather be governed by a corrupt tyranny. Good job matey! But good job ignoring any of my points and resorting to ad hominem.
Whereas you would rather be governed by a corrupt tyranny. Good job matey! But good job ignoring any of my points and resorting to ad hominem.

It was a joke matey.

I'm assuming you specify corrupt tyranny as opposed to ordinary tyranny - as symbolised by genuine monarchial government.

You've been living under democracy for too long, you don't realise how crappy things are when petty kings rule without checks on their power.
It was a joke matey.

I'm assuming you specify corrupt tyranny as opposed to ordinary tyranny - as symbolised by genuine monarchial government.

You've been living under democracy for too long, you don't realise how crappy things are when petty kings rule without checks on their power.

Poor Ray. He thinks we live in a democracy.
Poor Ray. He thinks we live in a democracy.

The democracy in the UK isn't great but that's a rich comment for you to make seeing as you appear to be arguing for the erosion of representative democracy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending