The Student Room Group

personality or looks (girls only)

Hi, I was just wondering whether girls cared more about a guy's personality or his looks for bf material?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most definitely personality. Obviously looks are a bonus and might be what attracts me in the first place, but theyd have to have a great personality otherwise looks doesn't mean anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personality, he better be funny...
Personality is a prerequisite

Attraction is important too
Reply 4
You forgot the third option - Money.
Personality. Physical attraction kind comes after for me unless they are very physically attractive.
Boyfriend material = personality. Personally in terms of physical appearance I'm only really concerned about if they're hygienic, clean teeth, clean hair etc. like they take care of themselves.
I get attracted to someone's personality and if they're like 'gross' (not 'ugly') then I'll be less attracted
Personality for me too.
Reply 8
Keep in mind that when people say personality, there's still a minimum threshold of physical attraction needed.
For a boyfriend personality would come above looks
Reply 11
Definitely personality, then looks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think for me it's more the initial attraction first that makes me want to get to know his personality
And then after it's personality that matters more
For everyone it has to be a bit of both, but if your personalities are not compatible, you're not going to have a sucessful relationship

Taking basic care of your appearance is kind of part of personality though
Personality! And looks are bonus!
Personality for sure, although some physical attraction has to be there for a relationship to work out. I'm willing to overlook every flaw expect obesity (no offence I can't help it) if our personalities are incredibly compatible. In fact I usually don't find people physically attractive before getting to know their personalities. :tongue:
Reply 16
My personal experience is that girls are almost as shallow as guys. Great looks and you're in, whatever. No doubt, if your in the average looks camp a good personality helps, and particularly if you can make people laugh. But if your not in the attractive set its pretty hard work to land a date.
So I feel like I'm the only one being honest here, I was genuinely surprised to read everyone's responses haha.
I was originally going to say both, but when I think about it, I'd never consider going out with an ugly guy who was really nice, and while I also wouldn't if he was good looking but an *******/boring/just not interested in what I was interested in, I'd be more willing to make allowances for criteria that is normally important to me.

EDIT: ugly to me is probably overweight and doesn't look after appearance, or, uncharismatic AND bad dress sense etc. If he's probably average or slightly below average, I can handle that, if his personality is better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Personality is what matters for me,look is a bonus only..
Personality for sure. I've been attracted to guys in the past who I didn't particularly find attractive looks wise, but their personality and great sense of humor won me over :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest