The Student Room Group

I thought this was a compliment...she didn't.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Clip
What I'm saying is that in my experience, there's a fair chance that you wouldn't like it either (IRL).

True I don't disagree with you it's a risky one but what I'm saying is if a girl doesn't like it there's no need to throw a paddy.

On a separate note some men give these kind of compliments which can be interpreted as backhanded on purpose I believe it is called negging. It's more men that advise each other to do that in those hilarious pick up artist communities never heard a woman telling a man to do it. Yes I've been negged before I'll agree it doesn't work :biggrin:
Hmm..
What did you mean by 'lips like sin'?
Original post by Emily.97
Hmm..
What did you mean by 'lips like sin'?

lips for sin

She was in to me...she was talking seductively (at least I thought so).

I meant, lips for talking sexy, kissing...etc.
To be fair her reaction ids weird, I'd have probs just pissed myself laughing.
Reply 24
Original post by jazjaz
True I don't disagree with you it's a risky one but what I'm saying is if a girl doesn't like it there's no need to throw a paddy.

There's no context to this, so we don't really know how it came across. It could be that OP is really, really awkward and it sounded like a 40 year old on Tinder. She possibly did think that he was asking her for oral sex.

On a separate note some men give these kind of compliments which can be interpreted as backhanded on purpose I believe it is called negging. It's more men that advise each other to do that in those hilarious pick up artist communities never heard a woman telling a man to do it. Yes I've been negged before I'll agree it doesn't work :biggrin:

Again, this is the same old. If she's initially into him - it basically doesn't matter what he says as long as it isn't outlandishly offensive. If she's on the fence, she'll probably think he's a loser for starting to talk to her by basically insulting her.
OP that was hardly as bad as I thought it was going to be! The 'eyes of an angel' part was abit meh... but the 'lips for sin', a bit of an old fashioned compliment...but not something you would take badly. I think she may have misunderstood, I actually didn't think compliments like that existed anymore. I actually really like that compliment, I don't know why it was taken so terribly, haha the situation made me laugh a little but clearly wasn't funny for you, sorry my friend. :console:
Original post by Clip
There's no context to this, so we don't really know how it came across. It could be that OP is really, really awkward and it sounded like a 40 year old on Tinder. She possibly did think that he was asking her for oral sex.

Again, this is the same old. If she's initially into him - it basically doesn't matter what he says as long as it isn't outlandishly offensive. If she's on the fence, she'll probably think he's a loser for starting to talk to her by basically insulting her.

Im perfectly comfortable talking to girls. I'm also 2 years younger.

Her name starts with K, I call her 'Special K' at work all the time - she loves it. I think this was all a big over-reaction.
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm out at this after-work social at a bar in Oxford and I was talking to a girl I work with. We've been working together for a few months now. I think she's single but I've never really asked; no ring anyways.

After a few drinks I'm picking up some seriously good vibes from her. I tell her that she has 'eyes like an angel but lips for sin' with a bit of a grin on my face.

She then proceeds to say 'how dare you' and walks off and actually goes home.

I don't understand what I said wrong. It's hardly like saying 'nice tits'...

I am am not looking forward to Monday morning :/

She's crazy, run. On the other hand, if somebody would throw me that line I'd have a good laugh and then tell him goodbye. That's one stupid line, dude. If she's mediocre looking, tell her she's cute, if she's cute, tell her she's hot.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
OP that was hardly as bad as I thought it was going to be! The 'eyes of an angel' part was abit meh... but the 'lips for sin', a bit of an old fashioned compliment...but not something you would take badly. I think she may have misunderstood, I actually didn't think compliments like that existed anymore. I actually really like that compliment, I don't know why it was taken so terribly, haha the situation made me laugh a little but clearly wasn't funny for you, sorry my friend. :console:

Why thank you :smile:
Use good old flirt lines. What you said is too... shakespearean... and it makes you sound like a desperate pervert imo. No hard feelings it's good that you try to impress girls but fancy flirt lines are rather superficial and vain if you ask me.
Reply 30
Im perfectly comfortable talking to girls. I'm also 2 years younger.

Her name starts with K, I call her 'Special K' at work all the time - she loves it. I think this was all a big over-reaction.

You come out with the worst line I've ever heard, and somehow this is her fault?

Also - I would revise the idea of giving a woman a nickname based on a weight-loss product.
How dare you, OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
So I'm out at this after-work social at a bar in Oxford and I was talking to a girl I work with. We've been working together for a few months now. I think she's single but I've never really asked; no ring anyways.

After a few drinks I'm picking up some seriously good vibes from her. I tell her that she has 'eyes like an angel but lips for sin' with a bit of a grin on my face.

Real smooth; she's at a loss.
Original post by Clip
You come out with the worst line I've ever heard, and somehow this is her fault?

Also - I would revise the idea of giving a woman a nickname based on a weight-loss product.

Lmao I never thought of that.
Why thank you :smile:

Oh and OP it may be that she thought you were instigating a BJ

OR

she may have seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-QGC0bB0k

I would have been equally offended, good luck for monday :smile:
Original post by Gott
How did you get to that point? You'd have to have been practicing some serious banter skills to pull that off

Hmm

It was just talk about work to begin with.

Then it got to that stage wheres she's basically laughing at nearly each and every thing I say and she's fidgeting and touching my shoulder a lot.

May be I should have built up to it, with more "traditional" lines but this just felt like such an appropriate thing to say.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Oh and OP it may be that she thought you were instigating a BJ

OR

she may have seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-QGC0bB0k

I would have been equally offended, good luck for monday :smile:

Oh my...I used to watch the Apprentice and that show and I watched that series with great interest. Im sure that this is where that comment came from in a sub-concious way. Really well remembered!
Reply 37
Was her giving you a BJ on your mind? Lame line ditch it asap.

Enjoy Monday :biggrin:. You will probably have half the female work force giving you evils.
Oh my...I used to watch the Apprentice and that show and I watched that series with great interest. Im sure that this is where that comment came from in a sub-concious way. Really well remembered!

It was the first thing that shot into my head, I was hoping it didn't stem from that and rather you were a literary fanatic(it would have been a more interesting backstory to how you ended up coming out with that) haha either way you have some explaining to do on monday. All the best!

Bit of a bizarre chat up line

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply