The Student Room Group

The 2015 Six Nations Thread

Surprised there isn't one of these already (or apologies if there is!). I can't wait for Wales v England next Friday evening, the nerves are starting to arrive already.

Who are we supporting and who do we think will win?

Predicted
England

Spoiler

France

Spoiler

Ireland

Spoiler

Italy

Spoiler

Scotland

Spoiler

Wales

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by O133
Surprised there isn't one of these already (or apologies if there is!). I can't wait for Wales v England next Friday evening, the nerves are starting to arrive already.

Who are we supporting and who do we think will win?

*Groans @ Friday Evening*

I think this year will be more interesting than the previous. I expect Ireland to win and Wales/England to battle it out for 2nd and 3rd. My predictions;

Ireland
Wales
England
France
Scotland
Italy
Original post by _Morsey_
*Groans @ Friday Evening*

I think this year will be more interesting than the previous. I expect Ireland to win and Wales/England to battle it out for 2nd and 3rd. My predictions;

Ireland
Wales
England
France
Scotland
Italy

You might be spot on there. It'll certainly take somewhat of a miracle for an injury-ravaged England to beat a full complement of Wales players.

I'm going for:
Ireland (4 wins)
Wales (3 wins)
France (3 wins)
England (3 wins)
Scotland (2 wins)
Italy (0 wins)
with points difference to be crucial. My simulation has Wales on +17, France on +15 and England on +14.
This could be the third-to-last tournament on terrestrial TV with the organisers looking at a deal with Sky Sports or BT Sport from 2018 onwards.
Reply 4
England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

It's a disgrace that Sky will be getting the Six Nations, and BBC is losing The Open Championship in golf, too. First the Ashes, then these two, what's next? Wimbledon?
Original post by Mackay
It's a disgrace that Sky will be getting the Six Nations, and BBC is losing The Open Championship in golf, too. First the Ashes, then these two, what's next? Wimbledon?

Nothing's decided yet.

I wouldn't rule out a BBC-BT joint deal for the Six Nations, nor for Wimbledon for that matter.
Original post by Mackay
England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

I think you're overrating England a little there. Do you think they'll do the Grand Slam or will it be another year of 4 wins from 5?
Prediction:
Ireland
Wales
France
England
Scotland
Italy

I'm Welsh btw, Cymru am byth! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by O133
This could be the third-to-last tournament on terrestrial TV with the organisers looking at a deal with Sky Sports or BT Sport from 2018 onwards.

Oh that would suck so hard! I'll just end up in the pub to watch there than buy a Sky subscription.

My predictions/hopes:
Wales
Ireland
France
England
Italy
Scotland

Suspect Wales may lose to Ireland, but still take the championship.
Original post by dhr90
My predictions/hopes:
Wales
Ireland
France
England
Italy
Scotland

Suspect Wales may lose to Ireland, but still take the championship.

Whereas I've got Ireland winning but losing to Wales.
Reply 10
Original post by O133
Whereas I've got Ireland winning but losing to Wales.

I don't really follow rugby much, so its kinda a guess based on what I remember from the last internationals, and a (probably safe) assumption that Italy and Scotland will take the bottom two spots as usual. To be honest I have a fear Ireland will win, but I don't want them to hence my picking Wales over them :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by O133
I think you're overrating England a little there. Do you think they'll do the Grand Slam or will it be another year of 4 wins from 5?

Nobody is capable of a Grand Slam I don't think.
First team out - Wales team to play England:

1: Gethin Jenkins 2: Richard Hibbard 3: Samson Lee
4: Jake Ball 5: Alun-Wyn Jones
6: Dan Lydiate 8: Taulupe Faletau 7: Sam Warburton (c)

9: Rhys Webb 10: Dan Biggar
12: Jamie Roberts 13: Jonathan Davies
11: George North 15: Leigh Halfpenny 14: Alex Cuthbert

Bench: Scott Baldwin, Paul James, Aaron Jarvis, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Mike Phillips, Rhys Priestland, Liam Williams

Certainly no surprises there.
If anyone is interested in a SuperBru prediction competition then please say and I'll set us up a TSR pool.
Original post by O133
First team out - Wales team to play England:

1: Gethin Jenkins 2: Richard Hibbard 3: Samson Lee
4: Jake Ball 5: Alun-Wyn Jones
6: Dan Lydiate 8: Taulupe Faletau 7: Sam Warburton (c)

9: Rhys Webb 10: Dan Biggar
12: Jamie Roberts 13: Jonathan Davies
11: George North 15: Leigh Halfpenny 14: Alex Cuthbert

Bench: Scott Baldwin, Paul James, Aaron Jarvis, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Mike Phillips, Rhys Priestland, Liam Williams

Certainly no surprises there.

Not a bad starting 15 for us but the bench isn't the best. Glad to see Webb and Biggar ahead of Phillips and Priestland though. Also i think Halfpenny's position won't be guaranteed this year considering how well Liam Williams played during the Autumn tests.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by _Morsey_
Not a bad starting 15 for us but the bench isn't the best. Glad to see Webb and Biggar ahead of Phillips and Priestland though. Also i think Halfpenny's position won't be guaranteed this year considering how well Liam Williams played during the Autumn tests.

The front row subs don't look all that great - when you consider England will probably have Tom Youngs, Alex Corbisiero and Kieran Brookes.
Reply 16
Wales, Ireland and France to win this weekend - by 5, 20 and 10 respectively.
Wales by 10
Ireland by 12
France by 15
The one time I take an interest in Rugby Union each year. Supporting England but have had a love for Ireland ever since I got them in a sweepstake in 2009. Was the last one to draw a team and won big time :cool:

Just a shame I'll be working during most games :sad:
Original post by WilJones138
Prediction:
Ireland
Wales
France
England
Scotland
Italy

I'm Welsh btw, Cymru am byth! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spot on what I thought!