The Student Room Group

How do you get over a fear of driving?

Yes I admit I have a fear of driving. I find it hard to concentrate, don't have that good judgment & am a fairly nervous driver (I worry about other cars & my hands seem to shake on the wheel). I've had lessons before & about 6 tests already that I failed. I can go on small quiet roads but the big busier roads are the problems plus the junctions.

I reckon even if I past my test, as the route I've been on isn't too bad. I'd be too anxious to go on my own & cause or have an accident :redface: My mother is getting ill & old & apparently I'll have to help out drive her places & additionally my dad is getting old too :erm: Can anyone give me any words of advice or encouragement please? It will be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
I would suggest taking much more lessons to gain confidence. I wouldn't be taking my test if I was lacking confidence. And what kind of instructor makes you fail a test that many times?
Reply 2
"Multitalented me" starts to sound a little ironic in this context...
You can get learner driver insurance on your parents' car and practice so long as one of them is with you. It comes in cheaper than lessons and it sounds like you just need more practice till you become more confident.
Get over the fear of driving by driving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I kind of have this fear too and I haven't even started driving yet. :redface:
Reply 5
Only way to get rid of a fear is to face it.

First thing I'd work on is getting rid of that self doubt. All that'll do is hold you back. Next is to just practice and stop worrying about what mistakes you're gonna make. Everybody who drives here and in general have made those stupid mistakes at some point whilst they were learning and even well after they had passed their test. It just happens, it's how we improve, etc.
I passed my test a little under a year ago after several failed attempts that generally came down to nerves. I always felt on edge doing lessons and could never enjoy them because of how nervous I was. The nerves led to me making stupid mistakes which was what caused me to fail multiple times.

In the end I tried a hypnotherapy CD and after listening to it a few times I did feel noticeably calmer when driving. I purchased the CD at the end of last January and passed by early March. Hypnotherapy is not for everyone but it might be worth a go if, like me, you were desperate to try anything that would help you overcome your nerves and gain confidence.

I bought this one, but I am sure there several other alternatives:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pass-Your-Driving-Test-Nerves/dp/1901923711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423066525&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+pass+your+driving+test+glenn

I still get nervous occasionally when driving now but I am much, much calmer than I used to be.
Reply 7
Not to worry. You should not give up, I am sure you are capable. I used to be nervous about driving as well and after failing first test I changed my instructor ( he started to annoy me ) and carried on with my housemate's driving instructor and that lady was simply amazing!!! She was so cool and calm, just made for the job, I gained more confidence and was able to do it. I knew I will pass on my second attempt. So for you I would advice maybe changing an instructor, for me it was vital in my progression. I still get nervous in heavy traffic, but much much much less. Because I just go and do it. You need to practice maybe using the same routes, as you know where you going or go somewhere quieter. Finally you'll be able to feel confident on the road in any situation/ condition. It took me some time even after passing my test I needed to work in it but it was well worth it. Good luck !
Original post by moment of truth

I have this as well :redface: and I'm at the age now where not being able to drive is a little embarrassing for me haha! But everything about it scares me- other drivers especially!
The only time I panic when driving is when I get to a roundabout, not the mini-roundabouts, the big ones and I'm not sure why o_o
Fixing up blind spots help though...
Original post by moment of truth

Same.
Original post by Anja99
Not to worry. You should not give up, I am sure you are capable. I used to be nervous about driving as well and after failing first test I changed my instructor ( he started to annoy me ) and carried on with my housemate's driving instructor and that lady was simply amazing!!! She was so cool and calm, just made for the job, I gained more confidence and was able to do it. I knew I will pass on my second attempt. So for you I would advice maybe changing an instructor, for me it was vital in my progression. I still get nervous in heavy traffic, but much much much less. Because I just go and do it. You need to practice maybe using the same routes, as you know where you going or go somewhere quieter. Finally you'll be able to feel confident on the road in any situation/ condition. It took me some time even after passing my test I needed to work in it but it was well worth it. Good luck !
Thank you very much for the advice :smile: Yeah I suppose I just need to face my fears & keep trying until I get a licence. Hopefully I'll get better with practice, not everyone can be a decent driver straight away.
Reply 13
I rolled back and hit someone last December three weeks after I started taking lessons whilst out doing private practice. For the rest of the month and into January I hated driving. My dad gave me some advice that has been echoed here: running away from a fear only makes it bigger. And it's true. Driving is all about confidence and awareness and that will come with practice. Yesterday, I took my car out on my own even though I have not yet passed (DO NOT DO THIS!!!!), but that helped me realise that driving is really not as bad as it looks and when you're driving alone, the habits and mannerisms, such as knowing when to slow down, clutch in, turn, etc, just come almost instinctively.

As a learner driver, you WILL make mistakes you will look back on and cringe. But just so long as you learn from them, it's fine. Nobody is expecting you to drive perfectly, even the examiner won't ask that of you. But yes, work on your confidence. In driving, panicking will only heighten the chance of you doing something silly. I would advise that you tackle the junctions you fear head on. Once you've done it a couple of times, I can guarantee you will wonder why you feared them so much. When doubting yourself when driving, just think of how good the freedom will be when you pass. That's motivation enough :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending