The Student Room Group

Asurat's road to 4 As at AS

I thought I'd start with saying a bit about myself. I'm interested in fitness and combat sports. I also enjoy watching/reading animanga (which I kept secret for the best part of 4 years) and I like reading fiction, mostly 1900s American literature. I'm reading the Inferno part of the Divine Comedy right now which is ite. I obviously like doing other stuff too but that's what I do at the moment.
Academically, I want to study maths w/economics at university. What I'd really like to study being set, decision, game and probability theory. I'm also interested in the debate surrounding high frequency trading and try my best to follow the commodities and FX markets. One day I'd like to have a deep enough understanding so that I can see how my favourite mathematical areas and economics overlap (I can't really guess with Set Theory though). Sadly, my knowledge on the aforementioned is limited and I'm looking to develop it without impacting my grades.

=====

It's nice being interested in academic topics, but it means little if I don't get the grades required to develop my understanding to a high level, and have a related career afterwards. In preparation for mocks, I thought that I'd just revise exclusively from the specification and see how I did on the exams without any exam preparation. I was expecting to get ABCD in Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths and Physics respectively, and would have been happy with that as a start. But what I got was:

B+ Maths C1-This was totally unexpected as I thought I could secure a strong A in C1 with minimal effort, but I lost many method marks.

C Physics G481- I was pleasantly surprised by this, I was just on the grade boundary of a very difficult G481 exam but with little preparation I was pleased. Still obviously not good enough.

E Chemistry F321- This was a real surprise, my Chemistry has been weak the entire year and after sitting the paper I was adamant that I got at least a C.

E Further maths FP1 (complex numbers, co-ordinate systems and numerical solutions to equations)- I was sure that I had a strong understanding of all of FP1, and on the whole my paper was good. But I only completed the first 50 marks, scoring 42. Which is the same as completing the whole paper and only scoring 42 marks: an E.

E Further maths D1- I wasn't expecting to finish this exam as I have always been really slow with Decision maths. As with FP1, what I completed was correct, but leaving out between 20-25 marks still means I get an E.

Each week I'm going to complete either a D1 paper or an FP1 paper, As well as a C1 paper each fortnight. This blog will (if I can keep it up) be me posting reviews of each paper. I'm going to try and do an F321 paper and/or a G481 paper as well when I think I know the course well enough. Assuming I have the time and energy.

I'm starting this blog I can look back on my journey and at least say "I worked hard for this", and so that I have some sort of pressure keeping me going.

---------
If you do know who I am, I would prefer to remain anonymous. If I can't get that I'd rather not be ridiculed for anything personal that I have shared xxxx
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
January 31st end of week 1

Generally, I think I did quite well with this weeks papers, scoring at least 70% on all papers, 2 (weak) As and a C. by this time next week I'll probably have completed all of the questions I lost marks on again, and will post the results.

This week, I've completed:

June 2013 FP1- on the topics which I have been taught, scoring 33/39 marks, (84.5% being a strong A, 78% being borderline) not a bad start. The areas in which I lost marks were in simple algebraic manipulation and simple multiplication, other than that my understanding was solid.

May 2010 G481- scoring 48/60, a borderline A on the paper. The questions which I need to redo are: 1d, 2bii, 3a, 3bii, 3biii, 5c, 6aii, 7bii.
Marks were lost because:
>I didn't know that when terminal velocity is reached, drag=weight. (1d)
>Didn't consider sources of inaccuracy critically enough, or describe with enough detail. (2bii)
>Definition of a Newton: The force required to move 1 kilogram with an acceleration of 1 meter per second squared. (3a)
>Net force must be used in calculations, not just force in one direction. This is because Newton's second law is NET force= mass*acceleration (3bii)
>Using Newton's second law, I failed to understand that if force is constant, if acceleration increases mass must decrease. (3biii)
>For a describe and explain question, list as many things as marks required (5c).
>Made basic errors on Yung Modulus not worth detailing because I got bored.

May 2010 F321- scoring 43/60, a C on the paper.
>I shouldn't round my answer until the end of the question. (1c)
>I need to properly learn how to calculate empirical formula. (1d)
>I need to learn descriptions of reactions of acids and carbonates, not just the equations. (2aii)
>My understanding of mole calculation has dissolved. Require more practice (2bii, iii)
>Didn't consider the fact that there can be more than 1 P sub-shell in an atom, e.g Chlorine. (3bii)
>Lack of knowledge of Group 7 elements and reactions between them. Requires urgent attention (all of question 4a)/
>Not explicit enough when describing disproportionation reactions.
>Poor understanding of Group 2 elements and how ease of thermal decomposition decreases down the group. Require urgent attention (4ciii).
>Must state the number of bonded/lone pairs in a given molecule whe asked to explain bond shape. (4dii)
>Must refamiliarise myself with the shapes of molecules (e.g Pyramidal, 107 degrees). (4e)
>Describe atomic radii in terms of attraction of outer electrons, as well as other stuff. (4f)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I ended up sitting the first of my Jan 2011 papers because I haven't got the effort levels to compile all of the Qs I got wrong. I will be posting results for Jan 2011 Chemistry tomorrow with a bigger breakdown of what I got wrong on Sunday probably
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm about to start a D1 paper, I can't find my Jan 2011 paper so I think I'll just try and do a review tomorrow if I have the time.
Reply 4
So far this week I've completed 2 F321 papers (I got bored so I did another one) and one D1, I have to complete a C1 paper and G481 before I mark all of them and do a review. I think I'll redo the incorrect questions during my free next week because I don't really want to spend my weekend-entire doing school-work.
Reply 5
End of week 2

I can't be arsed to mark any of my papers and I didn't complete C1, maybe 4 papers was unrealistic considering I'm still attending school so I'll do 3 instead. I reckon I got a low B/high A in the D1 paper I sat yesterday and I'm still to sit any of my other papers. I will hopefully mark all of them at some point next week.
It also happens to be my birthday so I'm not in the mood. I've been lazy this week so to improve I'm going to mark any papers as soon as they're complete, or during frees so that it definitely happens from now on.
(edited 9 years ago)
This post is to confirm that Asurat's grades have been verified! :banana: :banana2: :banana:
Reply 7
Completed most of an FP1 paper bar the last 17 marks, I'll mark this when I've done :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I completed the June 2011 FP1 paper this morning. Altogether I think I took about 100 minutes because I was talking to my friends and wasn't really focused (1 free and over break and part of lunch). I think if I did it under exam conditions I would have probably finished that fraction in about 75 minutes.
I scored 58/69 for the parts which I have been taught, 84.1%, 4 more marks for an A on the entire paper, so an A (so far).

I didn't do the Series question very well which lost me 7 marks in total (which is just as well because I was only taught it yesterday).
The other 4 marks were lost because of poor calculator input on the Newton-Raphson process and I didn't draw an Argand diagram, which I'm going to blame on a lack of concentration.

Later this week I'm going to complete Jan 2010 FP1 under exam conditions and see how I score, not before going over my Series notes and clearing up sum issues with my teacher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm going to (probably) complete the Jan 2010 FP1 paper tomorrow, and I'll mark my D1 paper during my frees tomorrow. I'm going to try and complete all of my F321 and G481 notes over the half term as well as complete my notes for F322 and G482 for what we've studied so far. Hopefully I should be at a point in about March time where I can stop doing all of the papers (God willing)
Reply 10
I have completed by Jan 2011 FP1 and marked my D1 paper. Scoring 56/62 on FP1 (not learned proof by induction yet) and 62/75 on the entire D1 paper. Two As.
Reply 11
I'm done w/ exam papers for this week. I think I'll focus less on FP1 now because I'm quite confident with all of the topics. I'll post my half-term goals soon
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Half-term goals-(all complete as of the following Monday)

I'm going to try and make the most of this half-term so I'm going to set some goals for each day (in a format inspired by another user :smile:)

[x] Saturday 14th Februrary- Read over notes for activity networks on D1 which is a large source of error for me. Complete module 3 of my Unit G481 notes using spec. Complete all outstanding physics homework if possible.
[x] Sunday 15th February- Complete Module 3 of my Unit F321 notes using spec. Complete all outstanding Chemistry homework if possible.
[-] Monday- Revise FP1 proof by induction and arithmetic series, complete all outstanding maths homework. Read over F321 and G481 notes.
[] Tuesday- Complete module 1 notes of unit F322 exam and unit G482 (if covered in class). Complete C1 "Gold" paper under exam conditions and mark.
[] Wednesday-Complete any specification specific notes for F322 and G482. Start reading about C2 trig and FP1 proof by induction before the new term.
[] Thursday- Complete any notes not completed the day before. Read over all complete notes. Complete D1 paper under exam conditions and mark.
[] Friday- Read all notes completed notes. Start working through a C2 exam paper using the book for topics I haven't learnt yet in preparation for the new term.
[] Saturday-Complete 2 exercises ahead for D2. Work through the book on Proof by Induction and then when I eventually get bored I will Complete FP1 paper and exam conditions and mark. Depending on how well I know proof by induction at this point, I'll either complete the entire thing in 90 minutes or I will scale back the time.
[] Sunday- Read ahead for G482 and F322, making notes on loose pieces of A4. After organising folders. Read over all complete notes that have been done over half term.

and then first Monday back I'll complete an F321 paper and mark it, followed by a G481 paper on the Tuesday, results to be posted obvs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Good luck with completing your goals!
Reply 14
Original post by Nandosfood
Good luck with completing your goals!

Thanks! I'm about to start so I should hopefully be finished by 11:smile:
Reply 15
At this rate it's looking like all of the homework is going to be a form-time job, I've done all of the notes but found myself cut short on time when it comes to completing the work that needs to actually get marked because I have other plans
Lol I got a 'B+' too for my C1
Except for maths Im not doing anything anything like you (history, english lit, economics)

Have you heard of solomon papers? (i dint read the full thread, if you've already mentioned it) They're good practise :smile:
Also, do u revise a lot? Ive only started revsing now- got BBCD in my mocks... so defo do not want this for the real thing
And how do u revise?
Complete C1 "Gold" paper under exam conditions and mark.

I probably sound really stupid but what is a "gold" paper and where can I find them? Are you doing edexcel maths?
Reply 18
Original post by BryonyG98

I probably sound really stupid but what is a "gold" paper and where can I find them? Are you doing edexcel maths?

You don't sound stupid at all! It's a compilation of the harder questions from C1 for Edexcel as recommended to me in my messages if you click on my account.
Original post by Asurat
You don't sound stupid at all! It's a compilation of the harder questions from C1 for Edexcel as recommended to me in my messages if you click on my account.

Wow they sound really helpful! I will give them a go when I get time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending