The Student Room Group

Transfering after the foundation year

Anyone knows if it is possível to transfer University after a foundation year, in case we don' t like the uni we are in or in case of having excelente grades in the foundation year and wanting to go to a better uni?
Yes
Reply 2
If it's a Foundation Degree, then it's designed to be more transferrable. However a Foundation Year is designed to prepare you to progress to a specific degree, so is less transferrable. You'd need to find a degree elsewhere which has the same sort of content. In both instances your A Level results might still be taken into account by your target uni.

A number of people in my year tried to transfer away to "better" unis after their Foundation Degree, but none of them were accepted and they all had to continue where we were.
Reply 3
Ok thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Arpernes
Ok thank you so much :smile:

Not so sure about the person above btw. There will be truth to what they say, but I've had friends who have done foundation years and moved into other courses. One mate who was doing a foundation year science degree, moved into law at Manchester with poor a A levels (had 240 UCAS or something), as he got 70% on his foundation year despite it being an unrelated field. Think
The best thing to do is email the departments you are interested in and explain your situation to them (give prior history of grades etc.), ask them how likely an offer is. Some will reject, some say they'll consider you with UCAS application which you'll have to make, in which case personal statement, extra curricular and work experience comes into play, you're basically just like any other applicant. There are success and failure stories but if you believe you can do it go for it. Good luck either way.
Reply 5
Original post by FellainiSucks
Not so sure about the person above btw. There will be truth to what they say, but I've had friends who have done foundation years and moved into other courses. One mate who was doing a foundation year science degree, moved into law at Manchester with poor a A levels (had 240 UCAS or something), as he got 70% on his foundation year despite it being an unrelated field. Think
The best thing to do is email the departments you are interested in and explain your situation to them (give prior history of grades etc.), ask them how likely an offer is. Some will reject, some say they'll consider you with UCAS application which you'll have to make, in which case personal statement, extra curricular and work experience comes into play, you're basically just like any other applicant. There are success and failure stories but if you believe you can do it go for it. Good luck either way.

thank you! I'm from Portugal so I didn't have the opportunity to visit the uni on an open day ( I got in the foundation in archaeology at Uclan, because it's a science based course and I study Languages and humanities), I'm a bit scared because I have read mixed reviews of the University. May I ask your opinion on UCLan?
thank you! I'm from Portugal so I didn't have the opportunity to visit the uni on an open day ( I got in the foundation in archaeology at Uclan, because it's a science based course and I study Languages and humanities), I'm a bit scared because I have read mixed reviews of the University. May I ask your opinion on UCLan?

Can't say I know much about it if I'm honest, a quick google search says it has leaped up 20 places in the rankings in the last year so it seems to be on the up, a good location too. I guess it depends a lot on the course as well, but because it's most improved I'd imagine the bad things people say about it have been fixed or are being. Congrats on your offer.
Reply 7
Original post by FellainiSucks
Can't say I know much about it if I'm honest, a quick google search says it has leaped up 20 places in the rankings in the last year so it seems to be on the up, a good location too. I guess it depends a lot on the course as well, but because it's most improved I'd imagine the bad things people say about it have been fixed or are being. Congrats on your offer.

20 places is very good, I did not see that during my search about it. I guess I'm a bit less nervous about UCLan now, thanks :smile:
Reply 8
20 places is very good, I did not see that during my search about it. I guess I'm a bit less nervous about UCLan now, thanks :smile:

One of the people on my Masters course did their undergrad at UCLan. They're now doing a funded PhD at an RG uni - and there aren't many of those around in archaeology. It seems to be a solid place to study archaeology.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
One of the people on my Masters course did their undergrad at UCLan. They're now doing a funded PhD at an RG uni - and there aren't many of those around in archaeology. It seems to be a solid place to study archaeology.

Thank you so much for your help, I was starting to get really nervous due to some comments I have read... May I ask, how as uni been for you? Do you like it?
Reply 10
Thank you so much for your help, I was starting to get really nervous due to some comments I have read... May I ask, how as uni been for you? Do you like it?

Well I started my undergrad when I was 44 and lived in my own home rather than halls/shared accommodation, so I didn't really have a 'normal' uni experience. But if it helps - I loved it! I've done a Masters and started a PhD, and my undergrad has definitely been my favourite part so far. There will always be duff parts - coursework deadlines are never fun and exams still scare the heck out of me - but overall it was an incredibly happy experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
Well I started my undergrad when I was 44 and lived in my own home rather than halls/shared accommodation, so I didn't really have a 'normal' uni experience. But if it helps - I loved it! I've done a Masters and started a PhD, and my undergrad has definitely been my favourite part so far. There will always be duff parts - coursework deadlines are never fun and exams still scare the heck out of me - but overall it was an incredibly happy experience.

The exams are scaring me and I haven't even started uni... But I'm so exited for this part of my life, studing in a different country and meet new people. I can't wait for september :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest