The Student Room Group

Why do people wear band tshirts?

So I guess they like the band, but why show it on a tshirt unless you want people to know

I dont think its a bad thing i just dont get the point
Very good question. I don't know, but I want to.
Why would you wear t-shirts plastered with NIKE or ADIDAS logos etc?
Reply 3
Original post by Izzyeviel
Why would you wear t-shirts plastered with NIKE or ADIDAS logos etc?

I personally do not.

For the people that do, I guess they have been advertised as a stylish product worn by celebrties, associated with good sports performance. Branded products tend to be more expensive hence its a statement of wealth or something. Ironically worn by hipsters?

Again, nothing wrong with that.

But band tshirts I cant think of a reason...
For some people, the type of music you like is effectively what defines who you are as a person and where you fit into society. They consider that music to be a core part of their identity and their life, rather than something you just listen to and pass the time. Perhaps most of their social life involves going to gigs, meaning that if you want to be friends with them, liking the same sort of music really helps. A band t-shirt helps them to basically display which "club" they belong to and to be recognised on that basis.

It's probably not all that different to how people wear items to show that they belong to a particular religion, or are from a particular country/culture, support a particular football team, have a certain amount of wealth (and thereby belong to a particular socioeconomic class)... People wear this type of thing, or sometimes actively refrain from wearing them, just because they're trying to basically show the world who they are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because they're comfortable? They look cool? I don't wear them to show people that I like a band. I mostly just wear them because they look cool, they're comfortable, and they're versatile - they look good with anything. :yy:
3 stages:

1 - 'it was a gift/present/oh I did not even know it was a band.. its just comfy and a tshirt, who cares'
2 - 'I just like the band, and would prefer to support them, then a random fashion company'
3 - 'This band is who I am, and I want everyone to know it. they define my identity, and its important you all know that this is who I am'

stage 3 always feels very insecure to me.. and a lot of people pretend to be a lower stage then they are..
Original post by tazarooni89
For some people, the type of music you like is effectively what defines who you are as a person and where you fit into society. They consider that music to be a core part of their identity and their life, rather than something you just listen to and pass the time. Perhaps most of their social life involves going to gigs, meaning that if you want to be friends with them, liking the same sort of music really helps. A band t-shirt helps them to basically display which "club" they belong to and to be recognised on that basis.

It's probably not all that different to how people wear items to show that they belong to a particular religion, or are from a particular country/culture, support a particular football team, have a certain amount of wealth (and thereby belong to a particular socioeconomic class)... People wear this type of thing, or sometimes actively refrain from wearing them, just because they're trying to basically show the world who they are.

I think this is spot on.
I just want to point out a lot of people who wear band t-shirts do so because they were given as a gift by their parents who meant well. You wear so not to hurt their feelings and after a while, it becomes just another clean t-shirt to wear,
commodity as identity culture mentioned above ^^^

but also cos I like saying I saw Lostprophets a year before the scandal, u mirin
Cause some band tees have the raddest designs. I'd only wear my favorite bands though because of that and to show em my love and support.
I wear band shirts because in my mind it's still the 1980's.

"You're walking down the street and you see that guy's wearing a slayer shirt too... and... you just know."
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Nearly all my t-shirts are band shirts. It's a mix of shirts I've bought at gigs (as memorabilia), and ones I've bought because I really like the design. I don't like plain shirts and I don't like a lot of high-street designs either...so band t-shirts are the next best thing.
Being into Black Metal, I love when people try (and fail) to read the band logos.
I have a Kanye West/Jay-Z shirt from their tour (not really a band but still) & I really like the design and it brings back good memories of seeing them perform so that's why I wear it. :smile:
Original post by number23
So I guess they like the band, but why show it on a tshirt unless you want people to know

I dont think its a bad thing i just dont get the point

I used to wear the t-shirts of non-mainstream bands who toured the UK and played in my town from time to time. For those bands, selling merchandise is their main source of income, so I wore them partly to support the band financially and give them free marketing.

Besides, some of them looked really cool.

Some of those bands later became major bands recognised globally - bands like Architects, Sylosis, Enter Shikari and SikTh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Mostly I wear them because they're shirts I own and in my wardrobe. Sometimes I make a conscious effort to wear a particular band shirt to certain events as it's nice if people notice and strike up conversation over a shared interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm wearing one now because I like it.
I'd love an AC DC t shirt with ROCK OR BUST on the front. Or a Metallica t shirt with ride the lightning album art printed on it, would look sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wear band tees (paramore, two door cinema club, the pretty reckless, the xx) because i find that opens up discussions with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest