The Student Room Group

Applying To University With Only 4 Courses

Hey Guys! I'm a high school student from Ontario, Canada, and I'm really interested in studying in the UK for university. I'm just concerned about one thing. Where I live, we take 4 courses for half the year(September-January) and then another 4 from February to June. I've noticed that the deadline for applying is in mid-January. The thing is, by then, I will only have incomplete marks for half of my courses! Most of the courses that I am interested in say that they need a certain average in at least 6 courses. So basically, I was wondering, are there different application deadlines for international students? Would applying later(February to June at the latest) hurt my chances of getting in? I've noticed some universities that only require 4 courses at a certain average, but I don't want to limit my options! Thanks!
Over here it works by UCAS points, so if you get a certain amount of UCAS points + meet the GCSE Grades (English+maths) Then you're likely to get in.

The deadline date for UCAS is 15th January.

Universities will give you a conditional offer which allows you to get the grades you need, so you can apply while in the middle of your course :smile:.

(UCAS is how we apply to university)
UK students apply without their final grades, because we use a predicted grade system. In your case, you would apply with a pending grade for your courses, and your referee (a teacher or tutor) would predict grades for you.

Home and International students apply through UCAS together, but universities do understand that your application will be slightly different due to your educational background.
Original post by marker791
Hey Guys! I'm a high school student from Ontario, Canada, and I'm really interested in studying in the UK for university. I'm just concerned about one thing. Where I live, we take 4 courses for half the year(September-January) and then another 4 from February to June. I've noticed that the deadline for applying is in mid-January. The thing is, by then, I will only have incomplete marks for half of my courses! Most of the courses that I am interested in say that they need a certain average in at least 6 courses. So basically, I was wondering, are there different application deadlines for international students? Would applying later(February to June at the latest) hurt my chances of getting in? I've noticed some universities that only require 4 courses at a certain average, but I don't want to limit my options! Thanks!

As has been said, most UK students (and most international students, in fact) will apply without their final grades. Your referee will need to predict you grades for the courses you haven't yet finished, and you'll probably be given an offer conditional on getting certain grades in these courses. If you meet the conditions of your offer, you get into uni, and if you miss them slightly, there's still a chance of being let in.

Applying late would disadvantage you massively, as universities would not necessarily have to consider your application at all. It would certainly be a bigger disadvantage than applying without your final grades as this is totally normal within the UK system.
Reply 4
How could I get predicted marks for a class I haven't even started yet? I understand how I could get predicted for 4 of my courses, but predicting on something I haven't done yet is a bit of a stretch
Original post by marker791
How could I get predicted marks for a class I haven't even started yet? I understand how I could get predicted for 4 of my courses, but predicting on something I haven't done yet is a bit of a stretch

They would most likely base it off previous work you've done, maybe in earlier years or similar subjects. So if you were going to take a maths-based course, your predicted would be based on your attainment in a maths-based course.

Your only other choice would be to ask universities if they'd consider an application without predicted grades for half your courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending