The Student Room Group

Vetsim 2015

If anyone's already started this thread, I apologise... But if not, hello! I'm thinking about going to vetsim this year (I will have just finished year 11) and was wondering who else was going. Also, if you e been before, do you recommend it and is there anything we should know before booking a place? Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,
It's been 6 years since I went but I'd definitely recommend going even if its just to have a good look around Nottingham University and the Vet School. It was a much better course than Vet Medlink so would choose this over that one if you've thinking about going to one or the other.
You get to meet people you may be studying with in a few years time, I still speak to some of those now six years later.

Not sure if the Marine Mammal Medic course is still an option at the end of it but we did that and thought it was interesting, we were put on the register of volunteers to be called upon in case any local strandings happened ...strangely I was never called upon living in Birmingham.

There's a few photos and information about what we got up to here on my blog
Reply 2
I didn't go to Vetsim, but I did go to VML in 2013...I think VML, at least, was definitely worth it, since I've made friends through it that I still talk to and I felt a lot more prepared to go into vet after attending (ie. knowing to avoid the debt trap that is St Georges Grenada!) However, what I gathered from that was that you had to do VML to do Vetsim? I'm not sure if that's changed.

In other words, Vetsim is another way for the company to make money out of you, and, while it is useful, you've got to decide whether you'd rather use the money to go on a more expensive/farther away work experience placement, as this will be worth more to you in the long run (since mentioning Vetsim on your PS will do nothing at all, but an individual and interesting placement might).

I hope that helped!
Original post by VittoriaAnna
If anyone's already started this thread, I apologise... But if not, hello! I'm thinking about going to vetsim this year (I will have just finished year 11) and was wondering who else was going. Also, if you e been before, do you recommend it and is there anything we should know before booking a place? Thanks! :smile:

Hi, I'm doing Vetsim this year and never done it before but pretty excited. Seems like a lot of good experience and learning. I'm in year 12 😊
would you say vetsim is better than VML??
also is anybody planning on doing vetsim next year?
Original post by EllyBelly2207257

Im hoping it do it next year :smile:
Reply 6

I'm also probably going next year :smile:
I haven't done vet medlink, but I heard from a friend that it was full time lectures, which were probably very helpful, but it was apparently quite boring.

Vetsim was good fun, I met a lot of animals I'd never seen in real life before, the practice interview was very helpful and I got to learn about ultrasound, practice keyhole surgery, put a plate on a bone and learned to do CPR. There was less information on animal handling than I thought but it was good fun and the best thing you'll draw out of either one is contacts, with students and other people going through what you are.

It depends if you'd rather have fun or learn more I think.
Original post by Failedallmyexams
I haven't done vet medlink, but I heard from a friend that it was full time lectures, which were probably very helpful, but it was apparently quite boring.

Vetsim was good fun, I met a lot of animals I'd never seen in real life before, the practice interview was very helpful and I got to learn about ultrasound, practice keyhole surgery, put a plate on a bone and learned to do CPR. There was less information on animal handling than I thought but it was good fun and the best thing you'll draw out of either one is contacts, with students and other people going through what you are.

It depends if you'd rather have fun or learn more I think.

so is vetsim more fun but vml more helpful?? what are the lectures based on for vml??
Yeah I'd say so, I'm not sure about vet medlink I haven't been, I'm just repeating what I've heard
Be aware that you won't be able to put your experiences of vetSIM on your personal statement because it is a paid experience and doesn't show any dedication, apart from being ran by one uni; placements are FAR more valuable in that respect.

I went to vetSIM years ago because I felt I would be disadvantaged if I didn't and to be honest it was a lot of money for me at the time which would have been better spent elsewhere. I really enjoyed the experience and the practicals but I didn't feel it was that useful in my application. I learnt a lot more about applying from TSR, going to open days (and chatting to current students there) than from vetSIM. The mock interview was nothing like the 4 interviews I got when I applied (including my Notts interview). So if you have the money and want to go, then you'll probably enjoy the experience. But if you are on a tight budget, don't feel like you'll be disadvantaged by not going. I wish I was told this beforehand which is why I am posting now; in retrospect I personally wouldn't have gone!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Be aware that you won't be able to put your experiences of vetSIM on your personal statement because it is a paid experience and doesn't show any dedication, apart from being ran by one uni; placements are FAR more valuable in that respect.

I went to vetSIM years ago because I felt I would be disadvantaged if I didn't and to be honest it was a lot of money for me at the time which would have been better spent elsewhere. I really enjoyed the experience and the practicals but I didn't feel it was that useful in my application. I learnt a lot more about applying from TSR, going to open days (and chatting to current students there) than from vetSIM. The mock interview was nothing like the 4 interviews I got when I applied (including my Notts interview). So if you have the money and want to go, then you'll probably enjoy the experience. But if you are on a tight budget, don't feel like you'll be disadvantaged by not going. I wish I was told this beforehand which is why I am posting now; in retrospect I personally wouldn't have gone!

THANKS!!! yeah i'm on a bit of a tight budget and I wasn't sure if it was essential or anything

also has any one gone to the RVC Pre-vet summer school this year?? because I was thinking of going next year and wasn't sure if it was any good??
(edited 8 years ago)
THANKS!!! yeah i'm on a bit of a tight budget and I wasn't sure if it was essential or anything

If you're on a tight budget putting that money towards accomodation or travel to work experience placements is a better idea in my opinion :smile:
Reply 13

also has any one gone to the RVC Pre-vet summer school this year?? because I was thinking of going next year and wasn't sure if it was any good??

I know it's been a while since u posted this message but I went to the RVC Pre Vet Summer School this year (August 2015) and I absolutely loved it! It was the first time the RVC had held a summer school for students outside of the UK and I totally recommend going. I learnt a lot about how to apply, techniques in animal handling, what the university is looking for, and I met loads of other people that were also interested in the same career area as me. It was totally worth the 2 weeks experience. Along with what I mentioned before, I also got to know the admissions staff personally and this is always a helpful hand when applying.

On the other hand though, it does cost a lot of money (£2300 for 2016) so if you're on a tight budget it might not be the right way to go, unless you are sure RVC is one of the universities you are looking to study at.

Hope this helps if your still deciding whether or not to go :smile:

Cesca12
Original post by Cesca12
I know it's been a while since u posted this message but I went to the RVC Pre Vet Summer School this year (August 2015) and I absolutely loved it! It was the first time the RVC had held a summer school for students outside of the UK and I totally recommend going. I learnt a lot about how to apply, techniques in animal handling, what the university is looking for, and I met loads of other people that were also interested in the same career area as me. It was totally worth the 2 weeks experience. Along with what I mentioned before, I also got to know the admissions staff personally and this is always a helpful hand when applying.

On the other hand though, it does cost a lot of money (£2300 for 2016) so if you're on a tight budget it might not be the right way to go, unless you are sure RVC is one of the universities you are looking to study at.

Cesca12

Hi, I was wondering whether they did interviews for the summer school, I have applied to do it this year and have sent off the application. It would be great to know what happens next from someone who has been through it. Thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Where did you find your other work experiences or volunteering places? Since I am having some trouble to find some in uk with accommodation or around Hertfordshire.
Original post by Mosmps1
Where did you find your other work experiences or volunteering places? Since I am having some trouble to find some in uk with accommodation or around Hertfordshire.

What part of Hertfordshire? I have contact details for a dairy in Rickmansworth (they don't offer accommodation). PM me if you're interested.
Original post by Cesca12

Cesca12

Sorry,I know its been a while but I was wondering whether to go during the summer after year 12 or during the summer after year 13 just before uni?
If it helps you with your application then I'd say summer after Year 12 :smile:

I didn't realise how expensive it is, that's almost a years rent as a student!
Reply 19
Seriously £2300 is a years rent for a student!!

Quick Reply

Latest