The Student Room Group

Provisional Driving License:I want to buy a car

Do I need insurance to buy a car ?
Pls suggest me from where I can buy a used automatic within £1000.
I live London
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mailsmsi
I live London

To move a car on the road it needs to be taxed and whoever is driving the car needs to be insured to drive it. To tax a car it needs to be insured. So whilst it is possible to do with either a car transporter of someone else insuring the vehicle or the party selling delivering to you pre sale and then parking it off road there are practical difficulties.
Reply 2
Thanks DJKL for your reply.

I spoke one insurance company over the phone.
He informed me that I can buy a car with provisional license.And , I can drive with someone 21+ with me.
After passing ,I just need to inform them.

Pls confirm all his advice is correct.
(edited 9 years ago)
I live London

The person you drive with needs 3 years of experience too.
Btw if you pass your test on an automatic you'll only be eligible to drive automatic cards.
Reply 4
Thanks all for the reply.

But to buy a car insurance ,as a provisional license holder , it is £1100 per year
but if I say(to check how much it cost after passing the test) I passed less than one month, the quote comes to £ 2000 per year

Totally confusing.
Thanks all for the reply.

But to buy a car insurance ,as a provisional license holder , it is £1100 per year
but if I say(to check how much it cost after passing the test) I passed less than one month, the quote comes to £ 2000 per year

Totally confusing.

It's not confusing, it makes sense that insurance is cheaper on a provisional license as there is someone else in the car and the insurance company deems you less of a risk.

On a full license, and passing within a month, will mean you're a higher risk and so you will pay more.
Reply 6
Thanks ELLO Dave

But if I buy now as provisional license ,after passing can I get no claim bonus.
That is can I save some money after passing because I am already insured

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending