The Student Room Group

Is the Football League everything the Premier League should be?

Look at the Championship, Bournemouth leading the pack, Brentford in the play-off places, 6 teams on 34pts! (Charlton conceded in the last minute to Rotherham yesterday and dropped 6 places from 12th to 18th!)

Even in League One, you have 4 teams on 37pts queuing up for a play-off spot. League 2 has 5 teams on 30pts being dragged into a relegation dogfight.

It really is an 'anyone can beat anyone' league. And the gap in quality and money from Premier League to Football League seems to be growing. It's often described as the most difficult league to get out of as it's such a relentless slog. No warm weather training, just cold, gritty, English football.

I always see the Premier League as being 'too European' whereas the football league and lower to be more British.
I don't know as I don't think I've ever watched a lower league match.

Blues have turned their season right round though, they were in the **** at the start and a few wins later they could now be promoted.

Must be quite good following a lower league club and not having to put up with a lot of the nonsense you get in Premier League football.
I love the football league. At the start of a PL season you can predict who will finish top 6 with near 100% accuracy each season. In the championshp it's open. The only label you can really gives teams is top half and bottom half and even then it's a bit iffy. Nottingham forest at the start of the season i thought should have been a nailed on team to go up but now sit in 12th place.

since my team were relegated a few seasons ago I have enjoyed watching the premier league a lot more. unless you support a top 6 side it's a pretty depressing league to be in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
It's a very romantic view.

The FL is, of course, full of twists and turns and old fashioned grounds and players. It's the nostalgia factor which keeps it so relevant, really. The standard is so far below the PL, though. I have been to a few Championship matches over the last couple of years and they have been of poor quality - but anybody who goes down from the PL will likely go back up now due to parachute payments.
Reply 4
Original post by sr90
How are these examples any different from the current race for 3rd/4th place or the fight to stay in the Premier League?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The race for 4th is the same teams year in, year out. Similarly with the relegation scrap, it'll involve the new boys & the 2 or 3 regular Premier League strugglers.

Taking away all the glitz and glamour, the Premier League seems quite....boring? Imo the top flight would be so much better and more interesting if it was exactly how the Championship is.
Reply 5
The issue is the difference in quality. Sure, the Championship seems exciting when you view the league table - but the quality is a lot lower than the PL. I think it every Friday night when they broadcast games. Even matches featuring Bournemouth and the other promotion hopefuls are quite far off the standard of the PL.
Honestly La Liga is the best league going atm in terms of quality and competitiveness.
Football League and Lower = Real Football
Premier League = Soap opera with prima donna drama queens.

I been to nearly as many Football League games as I have been to Aston Villa games this season.
Reply 8
Original post by Rock Fan
Football League and Lower = Real Football
Premier League = Soap opera with prima donna drama queens.

Too naive a view.
Reply 9
The championship is less frustrating, the gap in quality really isn't as much as its made out to be.

Quick Reply

Latest