The Student Room Group

Royal College of Art : Interviews 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by etyiyentavsan
Hi everyone!

As most of you, I did go through the internet but couldn't find satisfactory answers to interviews. I have received interview offers from History of Design and Critical Writing in Art and Design and I am kind of anxious as I cannot quite imagine what kind of questions I would be receiving. Does anyone here have any idea on the possible contents of the interviews for these programmes? Like on what criteria do they evaluate applicants and reject some of them?

Best of luck to you all! :smile:

I shall let everyone know how it goes.

etyiyentavsan, as with any interview, I expect that the RCA would like to to demonstrate both your preparedness to take the course and your potential to benefit from going to the RCA. You will probably have to know at least the basics of how to go about doing design research, show interest in a topic and have some kind of question or thesis related to that topic. I wouldn't worry too much about having something set in stone, I doubt they expect you to stick exactly to your topic over two years. Basically be enthusiastic and be able to talk about your experiences and past work in a way that creates a nice story leading up to the MA.
Original post by -smiles-
I shall let everyone know how it goes.

etyiyentavsan, as with any interview, I expect that the RCA would like to to demonstrate both your preparedness to take the course and your potential to benefit from going to the RCA. You will probably have to know at least the basics of how to go about doing design research, show interest in a topic and have some kind of question or thesis related to that topic. I wouldn't worry too much about having something set in stone, I doubt they expect you to stick exactly to your topic over two years. Basically be enthusiastic and be able to talk about your experiences and past work in a way that creates a nice story leading up to the MA.

Hi -smiles-

Thank you for the reply! Your answer is very relieving, and I'm also assuming that they might expect the applicants to have somewhat of a proposal in their minds, but not necessarily. I also believe that, as you said, the research question we have in our minds is highly likely to change over two years. We'll see what will happen.

Good luck with your interview! :smile:
Reply 22
Aiy.

I was way too nervous! It didn't go very well. They will ask everyone the same questions for the history of design ma, but they're very general. In the interest of fairness I won't reveal them but as long as you have a topic/interest you'll be fine. And make sure you know why you want to study history of design.

My only hope is that I managed to say a few interesting things in my nervous state. At least all the other parts of my application are good.
Reply 23
Sounds like a fair overview of what happened. Good luck with the (hopefully not so) long wait for the final result!

Aiy.

I was way too nervous! It didn't go very well. They will ask everyone the same questions for the history of design ma, but they're very general. In the interest of fairness I won't reveal them but as long as you have a topic/interest you'll be fine. And make sure you know why you want to study history of design.

My only hope is that I managed to say a few interesting things in my nervous state. At least all the other parts of my application are good.
Aiy.

Being nervous can also be a sign that you care, so don't think of it as negative. :smile:
Reply 25
Aiy.

Hi SMiles!
Thank you for sharing this with us :biggrin:
I'm sure they know how normal it is to be nervous for an interview like that - especially on skype!

I sure hope they keep it general, and perhaps follow the hints that I gave them on my application statement. If they start firing specific question on history of design I will shut down for sure :biggrin:

Best of luck with the outcome!!
Reply 26
It was also a bit tough because none of the interviewers were familiar with my area of study. They actually asked me a lot less about my statement or writing sample than I anticipated.

Best of luck to everyone!

And yes, Skype interviews are hard.
Original post by glitter_ever
Yes I'm waiting here patiently and a bit nervously. I don't expect to hear before they say though, which is 13th February? I've applied for Painting, and I can't find much about previous applicants online. Wondering how many people they invite for interview?

What have you applied for?

Hi
Did you get interview offer from RCA?
Original post by Chloe0612
Hi

I haven't heard anything yet. Has anybody else from the UK?
Hi

I've just received a rejection for MA Painting in my email. However I did have doubts as my portfolio did not contain any traditional painting. I sent in an app to Printmaking though on Monday, so going to wait and see if I get an interview for that instead. Otherwise, will probably give up..
I've just received a rejection for MA Painting in my email. However I did have doubts as my portfolio did not contain any traditional painting. I sent in an app to Printmaking though on Monday, so going to wait and see if I get an interview for that instead. Otherwise, will probably give up..

Sorry that you didn't get an interview.. Do they normally prefer figurative and traditional painting than abstract?
Hope you get an interview for printmaking. fingers crossed.
Sorry that you didn't get an interview.. Do they normally prefer figurative and traditional painting than abstract?
Hope you get an interview for printmaking. fingers crossed.

I'm not sure, my portfolio contained quite figurative stuff in photography, drawing, video. But I'd say it's more about the quality of production than the style, and maybe mine isn't up to the standard yet.

Thank you, we'll see what happens. I will probably have a year break and try again next year if I don't get in anywhere. I hear they are bringing in postgraduate government funding so there will be more options for me. Have you applied this year?
I'm not sure, my portfolio contained quite figurative stuff in photography, drawing, video. But I'd say it's more about the quality of production than the style, and maybe mine isn't up to the standard yet.

Thank you, we'll see what happens. I will probably have a year break and try again next year if I don't get in anywhere. I hear they are bringing in postgraduate government funding so there will be more options for me. Have you applied this year?

I think I am going to apply for painting next year. I heard it is difficult to get in Slade and RCA.. RCA is my top choice though.
I think I am going to apply for painting next year. I heard it is difficult to get in Slade and RCA.. RCA is my top choice though.

Oh okay. Slade does seem hard but worth it, i see you have to write quite a detailed proposal for that one? RCA would be my first choice too, though. Good luck!

I've just got offered an interview for RCA MA Printmaking! Am so happy and quite excited, but got a lot of preparing to do.
Reply 34
Heyy that's great! :smile: Good luck!
Oh okay. Slade does seem hard but worth it, i see you have to write quite a detailed proposal for that one? RCA would be my first choice too, though. Good luck!

I've just got offered an interview for RCA MA Printmaking! Am so happy and quite excited, but got a lot of preparing to do.

Nice!! Good luck!!! :biggrin:
Reply 36
Is there anyone who has applied for the MA/MSc programme in Global Innovation Design?
Hi guys!

I have applied for the Visual Communication MA and I still haven't got an email for an interview and I am getting quite bummed.I thought that everyone would get a possible invitation exactly on Feb 13th ,but I stumbled on this forum and saw that people have been getting invitations for days!:frown: Has anyone here applied to Vis Com?
Reply 38
Hello, just got an interview offer for ma Photography and would like to know if anyone has some info about what they ask about in the interview. I heard they usually ask you why you want to go to RCA, which artist do you admire and relate to, etc.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Hi Katerinafo! I also applied for vis com, still waiting! I thought we would hear from them today. I didn't know that people have been receiving invitations for days now... Fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up!

Quick Reply

Latest