The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakeel1
Oh... he has the
[h="1"]Dunning–Kruger effect[/h]

hahaha yes and not afraid to say I had to refresh my memory of what that was :smile:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
hahaha yes and not afraid to say I had to refresh my memory of what that was :smile:

Lol I forgot the name but remembered the results of the study... spent like 3 minutes trying random words that began with d + psychology.
Contrary to what every shred of our instincts says, there's something beautiful about life being limited that way. On the one hand, it's what drives our will to live and fight for life, and on the other hand, it forces us to try to make it more meaningful. I would want to have affected some people's lives positively, to be remembered as a good person (by my (potential) children, family...). I don't think my grandfather ever died. He's always somewhere in my memories. Although, being dead, you wouldn't be aware of this, but this does mean something, doesn't it? This whole idea of mortality and ceasing to exist just forces you to get rid of that "selfishness" of thinking that something out there "owes" you eternal life, and it makes you think of the bigger picture: that the universe, with or without you, will go on, but that you can make a very tiny "microscopic" contribution and that contribution actually means something to the living beings around you.
PS: I don't write lyrics for Drake.
Original post by Decorpi12
Contrary to what every shred of our instincts says, there's something beautiful about life being limited that way. On the one hand, it's what drives our will to live and fight for life, and on the other hand, it forces us to try to make it more meaningful. I would want to have affected some people's lives positively, to be remembered as a good person (by my (potential) children, family...). I don't think my grandfather ever died. He's always somewhere in my memories. Although, being dead, you wouldn't be aware of this, but this does mean something, doesn't it? This whole idea of mortality and ceasing to exist just forces you to get rid of that "selfishness" of thinking that something out there "owes" you eternal life, and it makes you think of the bigger picture: that the universe, with or without you, will go on, but that you can make a very tiny "microscopic" contribution and that contribution actually means something to the living beings around you.
PS: I don't write lyrics for Drake.

Interesting point of view, thanks for sharing
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Contrary to popular belief (especially on TSR) being intelligent has a major downside. You're not ignorant of the future and what's to come in life.

You don't take life as it comes you have to plan out everything from getting married to buying a house to setting up your pension.

I hate it, knowing how pointless life is really depresses me, especially as of recent. We grow up, get old and die, non-existent. No wonder less intelligent people are happier overall.

I wish I was ignorant of these facts and I would sacrifice my intelligent to live a happy carefree life like all animals do except humans.

Anyone else feel this way?

I really don't know what to do

:sad:

Yup. I'm on the verge of depression (or this is how I feel) since I became an atheist.

And here's my Great List of Reasons for not committing suicide: mom would go crazy because of the pain; I'll die anyway at some point, why rush; maybe I'll be able to help a little before dying (help in science, cos although I like helping people as well, this has the counter point of not mattering cos they die as well). But the greatest reason for me to live is my competitiveness, I simply feel the need to be the best in the domains I care about (and this means suffering the pains of living).

The best advice is could give you would be to take an entire day a week to do whatever you like (nothing beats the feeling of reading a good book, or watching a good movie). You'll forget for a while you're alone, miserable, or whatever. (Also, now that spring's coming, the first time you'll see a flowery tree -or whatever it's called- look at it for a while, so you can remember the feeling when you're sad. I keep a couple of these pictures in my head to remind myself that world's not entirely ****ty, and it works.:smile:
I sometimes get the same feeling. If I was dumb I could have started work long time ago instead of focusing and worrying about studies all the time. I know a 17 year old who works as a minicab driver. I know a guy that's 19 who's married and has a daughter. He also works. Being aware of these things makes me think that they are making big steps in life and moving on while I am stuck in the same position not knowing how my future is going to be like. My parents know I'm smart so its not like I can say in front of their faces that I don't want to study anymore as they'll get upset which I don't want. Also I have offers from one of the best Universities in the world so there's no point turning them down.
Interesting point of view, thanks for sharing

You're welcome :smile: I really don't see why people are attacking you. You raised a very legitimate question, and one to which no one has an answer. Many people (myself included) ponder on such questions. :dontknow:
You're welcome :smile: I really don't see why people are attacking you. You raised a very legitimate question, and one to which no one has an answer. Many people (myself included) ponder on such questions. :dontknow:

I didn't seek to attack his point of view, only the obnoxious expression of it and condescension of mine. Every time I tried to help him he said 'you're wrong' 'you must be stupid' 'lol' etc.

I think it's because they see it as bragging thread about intelligence and you know what TSR students are like when people brag about intelligence :laugh:

I know, it's these questions that get us thinking about what we really should do in our lives
Original post by Raymat
I sometimes get the same feeling. If I was dumb I could have started work long time ago instead of focusing and worrying about studies all the time. I know a 17 year old who works as a minicab driver. I know a guy that's 19 who's married and has a daughter. He also works. Being aware of these things makes me think that they are making big steps in life and moving on while I am stuck in the same position not knowing how my future is going to be like. My parents know I'm smart so its not like I can say in front of their faces that I don't want to study anymore as they'll get upset which I don't want. Also I have offers from one of the best Universities in the world so there's no point turning them down.

I somehow have the feeling that we're both gonna end up metaphorical minicab drivers (minicab? like, tiny little cars??). If from the beginning you're not happy with your life... that's a pretty bad sign.
I don't think this is strictly true. I'm intelligent (at least I think I am) and I never even consider my life to be pointless, nor do I believe it to be more stressful than others.
I agree to some extent that others lives appear to be more carefree but they will have their own depressing problems. It's how people deal with said problems that determines whether or not their life is pointless.
Apologies if this sounds rude, but if you're as intelligent as you profess yourself to be, you would know that life really is what you make it. Why are you concerned so much with what the future holds? Yes, of course there is nothing wrong with forward planning, but focusing so much on things such as marriage and getting on the property ladder? You're preempting a life of worry and stress. Sit back, have a beer and live for the now.
This does raise an important point that society glorifies and rewards stupidity (think TOWIE) and generally it is not 'cool' to be intelligent (think how intelligent the most popular people at school were).

I've always thought it is sad that society doesn't encourage people to achieve to most they can academically but I guess that's just the way it is.
Isn't there any hope for a non-religious afterlife?
After all, there are so many things we humans don't know (like our consciousness, or other big questions).
This thread has me all over it.
Reading this thread was deep.

OP do you still feel the same way?
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Reading this thread was deep.

OP do you still feel the same way?

Nope, I don't
Nope, I don't

pls elaborate, I now resonate to what you are saying in your OP.

I am speaking your song, or old song?

also bandicoot/riku/occums such a wasteman
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
pls elaborate, I now resonate to what you are saying in your OP.

I am speaking your song, or old song?

also bandicoot/riku/occums such a wasteman

I've accepted that one day I'll die and I should enjoy life while I can.

I not take every opportunity I can to do stuff, I take life as it comes now and try not to think too much about everything :smile:
Contrary to popular belief (especially on TSR) being intelligent has a major downside. You're not ignorant of the future and what's to come in life.

You don't take life as it comes you have to plan out everything from getting married to buying a house to setting up your pension.

I hate it, knowing how pointless life is really depresses me, especially as of recent. We grow up, get old and die, non-existent. No wonder less intelligent people are happier overall.

I wish I was ignorant of these facts and I would sacrifice my intelligent to live a happy carefree life like all animals do except humans.

Anyone else feel this way?

I really don't know what to do

:sad:

This is me every single day tbh
Esp in case of studies. If I dont do well on a test I get very depressed abd tgat lasts for a few days. But some friends who get lower than just laugh it off, as if it didn't even affect them, and it probably doesn't. I worry and worry about ny future, but they're on facebook 24/7, wothout a care in the world. So yes, I do wish I was, not necessarily stupid, but carefree.
I've accepted that one day I'll die and I should enjoy life while I can.

I not take every opportunity I can to do stuff, I take life as it comes now and try not to think too much about everything :smile:

What about the claim that a life isn't lived unless you have a legacy/you are remembered?

Consider the average tsr user, 4 generations down probably their descendants (if there are) will not even know who they are and they would would be closer to said person than some random

Latest

Trending

Trending