The Student Room Group

I wish I was stupid

Contrary to popular belief (especially on TSR) being intelligent has a major downside. You're not ignorant of the future and what's to come in life.

You don't take life as it comes you have to plan out everything from getting married to buying a house to setting up your pension.

I hate it, knowing how pointless life is really depresses me, especially as of recent. We grow up, get old and die, non-existent. No wonder less intelligent people are happier overall.

I wish I was ignorant of these facts and I would sacrifice my intelligent to live a happy carefree life like all animals do except humans.

Anyone else feel this way?

I really don't know what to do

:sad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why does being intelligent necessarily entail the idea that life is pointless?
Original post by Hariex
Why does being intelligent necessarily entail the idea that life is pointless?

That's not what I said, life is pointless from whatever angle you look at it
Reply 3
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
That's not what I said, life is pointless from whatever angle you look at it

Depends on how you define pointless. Many men of intelligence will define their lives according to how their lives impact those of others. Many people of intelligence will ascribe a religious meaning to their lives.
Reply 4
Even though we all wind up worm-fodder wouldn't life be more pointless if we wholly lived it dwelling on that fact?
Plus planning ahead is boss because if it happens as planned it's a cruise and if it doesn't you get to refine the strategy.
Just try not to be a dick to people while you're living and also not irreversibly damage the earth. Beyond that, not much we can do.
Original post by Hariex
Depends on how you define pointless. Many men of intelligence will define their lives according to how their lives impact those of others. Many people of intelligence will ascribe a religious meaning to their lives.

Those impacts will be lost upon their deaths, meaningless prolonging.

I'm going to get slated for this but most intelligent people aren't religious, at least not in the way any organised religion describes it.

We live we die, that's it.

That is all there is
Original post by Lwin
Even though we all wind up worm-fodder wouldn't life be more pointless if we wholly lived it dwelling on that fact?
Plus planning ahead is boss because if it happens as planned it's a cruise and if it doesn't you get to refine the strategy.
Just try not to be a dick to people while you're living and also not irreversibly damage the earth. Beyond that, not much we can do.

I can't just ignore this fact, that is the reason of this thread.

Why should humans care about the earth when they won't even exist on it? We won't know about it. When the sun turns into a red giant in 6 billion years the earth will be engulfed anyway

I'm going to get slated for this but most intelligent people aren't religious, at least not in the way any organised religion describes it.

That is all there is

It's that belief that scares me from being an atheist.The idea there's nothing afterlife scares the **** out of me as I would feel my life and accomplishments are for nothing.But before any atheists go and bash me, at least I admitted it ya hear me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nihilism is a stupid or rather, lazy reductionist short-cut, hyperbolic wails of absolute existential despair to evade the effort seeking the shades of grey that encompass the human condition
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9

That is all there is

Fair enough: if we ignore the religious side of things, I agree that life is pointless.
Reply 10
Since when do all animals, except humans, live a carefree life?
Original post by Noble.
Since when do all animals, except humans, live a carefree life?

have you seen my ex-cat literally its only concern was whether it could scratch the sofa and bag the last of the tuna pasta
I can relate to this the more intelligent you are the more worries you have in life and if something doesn't work out it can lead to self loathing and depression. The fact that we are more intelligent makes us more aware of the consequences of life and you start to question everything. I'd rather be ignorant to be honest all I do now is worry about potential mistakes that could jeopardize my future. As OP stated earlier we tend to plan for everything in life whether it is the present or future instead of living as it comes. Failure takes it toll each time.

I often think to myself these types of questions

What's the point of working for the rest of your life?
What if so and so doesn't work out what's the point?
I can't just ignore this fact, that is the reason of this thread.

Why should humans care about the earth when they won't even exist on it? We won't know about it. When the sun turns into a red giant in 6 billion years the earth will be engulfed anyway

That is so deep. Anyway, I kind of know what you mean. Having knowledge about some things really sucks but that's life right? there's always something you need to sacrifice for something cause nothing's ever free. And in this case, naivety for intelligence.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Contrary to popular belief (especially on TSR) being intelligent has a major downside. You're not ignorant of the future and what's to come in life.

You don't take life as it comes you have to plan out everything from getting married to buying a house to setting up your pension.

I hate it, knowing how pointless life is really depresses me, especially as of recent. We grow up, get old and die, non-existent. No wonder less intelligent people are happier overall.

I wish I was ignorant of these facts and I would sacrifice my intelligent to live a happy carefree life like all animals do except humans.

Anyone else feel this way?

I really don't know what to do

:sad:

Why does life need to have a point?
Original post by ILovePancakes
Why does life need to have a point?

Because everyone one of us needs something worth living for. What's the point in living if we don't?
Original post by Black Cat
Because everyone one of us needs something worth living for. What's the point in living if we don't?

The point is that there is no point. That's probably why religion developed, for people to find a point. The way I see it is that whilst I'm alive I might as well make the most of it, regardless of a point. It's difficult to believe that each and every life out of the billions that have ever existed carry significance.
Original post by Hariex

SEXISM!

jk

That is all there is

There are some good quantum scientific theories of consciousness and the afterlife and some good evidence for reincarnation.That being said there isn't reall any certainty about what is to come when I die but the thought that death is the end does lead up to the logic that you are quoting if death is the end, then life is almost certainly pointless(why would you do your homework if you knew it would be ripped up by someone?(that is the problem that death poses)-people often quote this illogical phrase "you may as well make the most of your life" but it will be as if they have never lived at all which is a concept most people cannot fathom, so making the most of your life and how your achievements have affected others will be non existent from your perspective and thus pointless thats why I think what happens when you die is the most important question there is that solves our meaning of life.

You do have to remember of course we still have the biological meaning of life to reproduce and spread our genes but from a philosophical viewpoint this seems pointless as they will also eventually die and have everything taken away from them and so will their grandchildren.

There are indeed other things to consider as well despite my great fear of death, I feel a longing to connect with death due to how tiring and exhausting life is so I wish it to come but also fear it which I find strange, I certainly wouldn't want to have to live through a long life as life is already long and strenuous, I think people who say life is short are in serious denial when it seems as if it takes ages for simply a year to go by.
How can you classify yourself as "intelligent" ? Pray tell OP, what consists of this "intelligence" of yours ?

Latest