The Student Room Group

How to check if my mum saw my self-harm scars?

I have some quite graphic scars on top of my left wrist at the moment. Because I was alone in my room I had short sleeves on, and my mom came in to ask about something. I completely forgot about them, and could not have been more obvious... I even lifted my left hand to my mouth when I was thinking about something she asked me! But she didn't react at all, and since she was keeping total eye contact with me the whole time, I wonder if maybe she just didn't see them or register them? I think that's possible too if you're concentrating on having a quick conversation with somebody.

Anyway, could anyone please suggest a way to check if she saw? Obviously without revealing or alerting her to them in the process. I can't exactly walk up to her and ask "so what do you think of self harm?" or anything because a) it outs her on guard b) we don't really have an amiable talking relationship, so anything personal or affectionate would also be weird.

Thank you so much everyone!!

(and for those who may be worried, my therapist does know about this... I just don't want my mum to know because it can be difficult and I'd rather work through it without that)
Honestly? I'd have a proper conversation with her about it, tell her what you've been doing, and how she can help you stop (assuming you have any ideas, if not then get her to research stuff. Going to the doctor's/your therapist together is a good first step, and Mind also have some good information online if she wants to read up on it). You might not be the best at expressing your emotions to her, and vice versa, but now's a perfect time to have a go and see what happens. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest