The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Best Accommodation at University of Bath?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Oh okay fiars, I hope at least one of those buses is empty enough :tongue:

:hide: it's difficult I know, I still miss that feeling, but you get used to it eventually but also find it very easy to just go 'nah, it's too far, gonna have a day off today'.

Do you study maths by any chance? :tongue:

I will miss laying in and getting to go home and nap in between lectures (and possibly just missing the second one) but I can imagine that being a thing ha.

I do not study maths.

Also, a bit unrelated do you have any clue when we get our timetables for next year?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by hycurrie
I will miss laying in and getting to go home and nap in between lectures (and possibly just missing the second one) but I can imagine that being a thing ha.

I do not study maths.

Also, a bit unrelated do you have any clue when we get our timetables for next year?

:lol: that definitely happens when you have like 4 in a row or you have 1 hour lecture, 1 hour gap, 1 hour lecture, if you even turned up to the 1st one after that you might think 'I can't be bothered to wait for an hour and then go to a lecture after', it's a bit demotivating really. But also it's a slippery slope, like you can afford to not go to lectures as long as you're doing the work and really not missing out - I did this for some of my modules and they went okay, but others I kind of fell behind and didn't do the work for so it was meh. So it's just a dangerous game to play :lol:

Fairs, I would've written you an essay on the dos and don'ts if you did :lol:

Erm.. I'm not sure to be honest. Are you familiar with the online timetables or did you get paper copies or something? It all happens fairly close to before lectures actually start as far as I remember (plus assigning tutorial groups and stuff) but then it goes up and you just deselect modules you're not doing, choose the right tutorial group and voila. I would be surprised if any of that happened this month though - there's literally no better feeling when you see your new timetable (in the second semester) if your first one is a crap one and you go 'yesss'. :lol:
Original post by SeanFM
:lol: that definitely happens when you have like 4 in a row or you have 1 hour lecture, 1 hour gap, 1 hour lecture, if you even turned up to the 1st one after that you might think 'I can't be bothered to wait for an hour and then go to a lecture after', it's a bit demotivating really. But also it's a slippery slope, like you can afford to not go to lectures as long as you're doing the work and really not missing out - I did this for some of my modules and they went okay, but others I kind of fell behind and didn't do the work for so it was meh. So it's just a dangerous game to play :lol:

Fairs, I would've written you an essay on the dos and don'ts if you did :lol:

Erm.. I'm not sure to be honest. Are you familiar with the online timetables or did you get paper copies or something? It all happens fairly close to before lectures actually start as far as I remember (plus assigning tutorial groups and stuff) but then it goes up and you just deselect modules you're not doing, choose the right tutorial group and voila. I would be surprised if any of that happened this month though - there's literally no better feeling when you see your new timetable (in the second semester) if your first one is a crap one and you go 'yesss'. :lol:

I honestly know the slippery slope it is so easy to just miss that one lecture a few times in a row.

I was only wondering as someone I know in Bristol has their timetable already. I am hoping for a nice timetable, but I can but hope. I am not looking forward to trying to find places to sit down in between lectures on campus.
Original post by hycurrie
I honestly know the slippery slope it is so easy to just miss that one lecture a few times in a row.

I was only wondering as someone I know in Bristol has their timetable already. I am hoping for a nice timetable, but I can but hope. I am not looking forward to trying to find places to sit down in between lectures on campus.

Yeah, good luck, but at the same time don't beat yourself up majorly over missing one lecture if you're genuinely feeling ill.

:eek4: they don't mess around over there I see :lol: it's not fun but also not bad for the first few weeks, then the computer seats are mostly full unless you swoop in quickly as everyone is leaving for lectures, and then exam time, there is no hope unless you get in early enough or late enough.
Original post by SeanFM
Yeah, good luck, but at the same time don't beat yourself up majorly over missing one lecture if you're genuinely feeling ill.

:eek4: they don't mess around over there I see :lol: it's not fun but also not bad for the first few weeks, then the computer seats are mostly full unless you swoop in quickly as everyone is leaving for lectures, and then exam time, there is no hope unless you get in early enough or late enough.

oh no I wont hah, but thanks.

oh yes the computer seats, with people either using their laptops or writing instead of actually going onto the computers. I worked shift work during exam times (after my exams were over) and would see people coming and going from uni at like 4 in the morning or similar stupid times to get work done!
Original post by SeanFM
Slightly off topic and I think you'd kind of know me if it were the case, but does your name start with L by any chance?

Regrettably not. My real name is Richard. I think that narrows me down to one of two people from our course.

Hint - despite talking lots in the past about gymnastics, I am only an ex-gymnast. Other Richard is a current gymnast. So I'm the Richard who doesn't do gymnastics :wink:
Original post by President Snow
Regrettably not. My real name is Richard. I think that narrows me down to one of two people from our course.

Hint - despite talking lots in the past about gymnastics, I am only an ex-gymnast. Other Richard is a current gymnast. So I'm the Richard who doesn't do gymnastics :wink:

:lol: right, the guy I was thinking of lived in Quads, cycled and studies Maths - if I remember correctly you tick all of those boxes as well.

I don't suppose you're the placements rep? :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
:lol: right, the guy I was thinking of lived in Quads, cycled and studies Maths - if I remember correctly you tick all of those boxes as well.

I don't suppose you're the placements rep? :tongue:

Good going!! I am the placements rep :smile:
Hi,
Is there an option that you can choose when applying for certain accommodation that has Eat and Drink Credit but choose not to pay for it as I plan to cook myself?
Original post by Kevdog_107
Hi,
Is there an option that you can choose when applying for certain accommodation that has Eat and Drink Credit but choose not to pay for it as I plan to cook myself?

Hi there,

No, you can't live in part/fully catered accommodation that has Eat & Drink Credit, but not pay the credit. The Eat & Drink credit is paid in the same payment as your rent, I as you can see in this quote from the university accommodation webpage:

"Eat and Drink credit is added from your accommodation fees to your library card in three instalments. The first is in September, the second in January and third in April."

It would be unfair for the accommodation team to allow people who don't want Eat & Drink credit to live in catered accommodation, but not use the catering, as then that student is taking the place of someone who did want/need Eat & Drink Credit. The Eat & Drink credit is £50 per week for Brendon Court & Polden Court, which covers about 2 meals per day, and £25 per week in Woodland Court (ensuite shared rooms) and The Quads, which covers about 1 meal per day. These accommodations still have full kitchens as the Eat & Drink credit only covers part of your meals, so you can still cook.

Essentially, if you live in accommodation with Eat & Drink credit, you do have to pay the Eat & Drink credit. However, you don't have to spend it. The credit will keep rolling over to the following year, so you could spend it on the occasional meal or snack throughout your degree, and cook for yourself regardless. If it is a matter of money, then obviously this isn't really an option.

If you are asking as you like the look of the catered accommodation buildings, but just don't want the Eat & Drink Credit, then I would suggest looking at Marlborough/Solsbury court accommodation, as these blocks are very similar to Brendon Court, Polden Court and The Quads - they are all pretty large ensuite bedrooms, and there is no Eat & Drink credit.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Jessica, a third year NatSci student

Quick Reply

Latest