The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
sherunsaway
Woo! Just got an offer from Manchester!:biggrin: AAA, but still. My top choice, apart from Oxford, but now I'm going to go to interviews at Oxford next week not worrying about whether I get in or not (although it would be nice) as I know that I already have a place at one of the best music departments in the country (provided I get the grades of course:eek: ).

Will be hard to decide between Manchester and Oxford if I get an Oxford offer as well.

Screw York.:wink: (no offence to any from/going to York)

Ahhh well done! Yeh screw york :biggrin:

Manchester is a great place for music I hear - I didn't apply there as I think it is very performancey whcih is not my strength. Good luck for Oxford too :smile:
Reply 61
Well done Rich and sherunsaway :biggrin:.
Congrats on the offers everyone.
Manchester is a great place for music! (I'm in my 3rd year there), and it only has to be performancey if you choose a performance route, but I guess it's a bit late to be saying that!
Reply 63
Hey guys, I'm feeling a bit down and confused about my Manchester offer and the RNCM lessons... could you help?> look on Uni of Manchester area...

thanks
:smile:
Reply 64
What do you need to know about RNCM lessons?

Manchester is an amazing place and everyone is exceptionally talented and bright, but you don't necessarily need to be an amazing performer, I'm not and surviving just fine!

Rich_b I got a BBB offer from Bristol and I was a state school candidate, but I was told that they lowered the offer because a) I was predicted A/B for music (bastards :P) and b) I had an academic interest in musical theatre, especially Sondhim and the Emritus prof there is the world's leading Sondheim expert....
I'm going to Oxford for interview tomorrow. I hope that I've done enough background reading. If I haven't, I suppose that I have a long train journey to catch up.
J'en ai marre
I'm going to Oxford for interview tomorrow. I hope that I've done enough background reading. If I haven't, I suppose that I have a long train journey to catch up.

Don't worry.....if you've done any, then you've done more than me. Starting to worry a bit that my Oxford interview is going to be a bit embarrasing, but then again, that's my fault.

Oh, and looking at the the offers that you and martl1 have got from Manchester, I'm really glad that I did both my grade 8s last summer, as even though I only got a scraped merit and a pass, I don't have any conditions on my Manchester offer about abrsm grades so I'm starting to feel quite lucky.
Reply 67
J'en ai marre

Good luck, hope it goes well :biggrin:.
Reply 68
i applied for jazz piano at birmingham, guildhall, trinity and leeds college of music. Birmingham have rejected me and leeds wont give me an audition! (even though i have my diploma!!!! :s-smilie: )

anyway i now have trinity and guildhall left. no pressure ! :biggrin:
sherunsaway
Don't worry.....if you've done any, then you've done more than me. Starting to worry a bit that my Oxford interview is going to be a bit embarrasing, but then again, that's my fault.

Oh, and looking at the the offers that you and martl1 have got from Manchester, I'm really glad that I did both my grade 8s last summer, as even though I only got a scraped merit and a pass, I don't have any conditions on my Manchester offer about abrsm grades so I'm starting to feel quite lucky.

How was Oxford for you? I don't think that I've got in. So I better start considering my other options. It's such a bummer.
Reply 70
darkfairy
:hugs:

Good luck! `

thanks! I've just had my Guildhall audition (managed to grab a computer for free at the apple store in london to write this :smile: )

it went quite well, i had the head of under grad jazz studies (sax player) and someone else, but haven't got a clue who!!!!! there isn't a female on the jazz piano staff list for guildhall, and you would think i'd have had at least on jazz piano player on the panel since i play that instrument!!!

Anyway, should get the result before christmas. Still haven't heard from leeds college of music as to whether i will get an audition! I have a diploma, you would think i'd at least get an audition! oh well, we'll see.

Has anybody else had any jazz auditions? how did they go and did you get in anywhere! From what i've gathered over the past few weeks it is extremely competitive for jazz piano.
J'en ai marre
How was Oxford for you? I don't think that I've got in. So I better start considering my other options. It's such a bummer.

It was so much fun. Perhaps I was just lucky with the people I met, but it was a really great experience. Tbh, I'm not that fussed if I don't get in, but it was definitely worth it. I didn't even find the interviews scary and actually quite fun which is quite significant for me considering only 2 years ago I was the shyest person imaginable.

My 2 interviews at Merton were quite scary though because everyone seemed really posh and were dressed in suits while I was wearing jeans and didn't seem to fit in. Oh well.
Reply 72
Hello everyone. I'm new to posting, havng lurked for a while.

I have my York interview tomorrow and Iiiiii'm not 100% sure I want to go. i am travelling from Glasgow so it's qute far but 've already bought my ticket. My school is moaning about another day off after Ox last week - will this interview actually matter, because my friend travelled 300 miles to Cardiff for a waste of time, and I'm not keen to do the same...
Reply 73
I have an interview coming for York in the New Year. A friend had one a few weeks back at York and I think it wasn't a waste of time interview (like ones I've heard music applicants have at Shefield and Bham) but was quite an indepth discussion (not that I am trying to scare you lol)
Good luck - and sod your school - I'm sure you can catch up anything you have missed. :smile:
sb2k1
Hello everyone. I'm new to posting, havng lurked for a while.

I have my York interview tomorrow and Iiiiii'm not 100% sure I want to go. i am travelling from Glasgow so it's qute far but 've already bought my ticket. My school is moaning about another day off after Ox last week - will this interview actually matter, because my friend travelled 300 miles to Cardiff for a waste of time, and I'm not keen to do the same...

Hi, Dave. York's not that far away although I have every confidence that your interview was fine at Oxford.
Reply 75
Rich_b
I have an interview coming for York in the New Year. A friend had one a few weeks back at York and I think it wasn't a waste of time interview (like ones I've heard music applicants have at Shefield and Bham) but was quite an indepth discussion (not that I am trying to scare you lol)
Good luck - and sod your school - I'm sure you can catch up anything you have missed. :smile:

hey, good luck with your interview! who was your friend who had an interview before? I may have met them... :tongue:

if you need any pointers about interview, which i'm sure you don't - give me a shout! :smile:
Reply 76
My friend was a guy called James. Plays trumpet and prob had a beard when he went there...
Reply 77
Rich_b
My friend was a guy called James. Plays trumpet and prob had a beard when he went there...

James Maloney?
Reply 78
correct! wow so you did meet him lol
has anyone heard anything from cardiff? i'm applying for english and music and haven't heard nothing still. I sent my app. on 1st november.

Latest