The Student Room Group

A/As explanation for adult private candidate

hello
am 24years old
in january i have taken 5 igcse (math, bio, phys, chem, eng) as private candidate. still waiting for results,
but now am considering A level. so i think this summer i could take 3-4 levels AS and next year level A (as from september there are changes in gcse and levels a).
the cost is about 90-150p per unit. every AS level has 3 units right?
but how it is with coursework unit? there are just 2units + coursework unit? and science practical unit means coursework?
and most important: am working full time, so if i want physics, math, chemistry, biology - do i have to attend the college for coursework?

and in applications i've found terms like "specification B practical modules AS", "practical route t, or practical route x" . or science practical unit cost 650p...
later i wish study on university applied science, or medicine so i would like to choose the right subject.
of course i will ask at college to specify, but am confused about it completely

thanks for answer, peter
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Original post by pepcules
hello
am 24years old
in january i have taken 5 igcse (math, bio, phys, chem, eng) as private candidate. still waiting for results,
but now am considering A level. so i think this summer i could take 3-4 levels AS and next year level A (as from september there are changes in gcse and levels a).
but how it is with coursework unit? there are just 2units + coursework unit? and science practical unit means coursework?
and most important: am working full time, so if i want physics, math, chemistry, biology - do i have to attend the college for coursework?

and in applications i've found terms like "specification B practical modules AS", "practical route t, or practical route x" . or science practical unit cost 650p...
later i wish study on university applied science, or medicine so i would like to choose the right subject.

thanks for answer, peter

Most A-levels have 3 units per year (AS or A2).
The practical assessments count as a unit. You need to talk to the college to see if you can take them privately. You will have to take them there. It's generally around 1.5 hours per assessment. Each year of A-level for each science has 3 assessments and you generally get two tries of each, so it's around 13.5 hours total each year.

If you want to take ASs this year, you have to hurry because the official entries close in a few weeks and schools/colleges will soon stop taking private candidates if they haven't already.

Self-studying 4 ASs in 3.5 months while working full time is going to be a huge amount of work, good luck.

GCSEs/IGCSEs are very important when it comes to applying to university-even more so for medicine, so you will need some more.
Reply 3
hello
am 24years old

What subjects do you want to take? Have yo any idea which exam boards you hope to use?

Maths and Sciences have 3 units each at AS, most other subjects have 2.
The entry deadline for the summer is 21 February but many centres will already have closed their books to private candidates. It is possible to enter after 21 Feb but the fees go up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I am a private candidate aswell due to take igcse biology in May/June I am self taught and I'm literally stuck on how to revise for it do you have any tips or books?
Reply 5
Original post by Elsieloo123
Hi I am a private candidate aswell due to take igcse biology in May/June I am self taught and I'm literally stuck on how to revise for it do you have any tips or books?

so you take only igcse biology?
i've took edexcel, i had only edexcel student book, but i didn't learn from it at all.
there is a lot of noticed that are too obvious and then the topic looks huge.
i found subject specification on exam board web, and there syllabus. to each question in syllabus I found a very short answer on some blog trought google (just search all the queastion).
then i wrote it down into pad. after all i had all topic only in few pages
so you take only igcse biology?
i've took edexcel, i had only edexcel student book, but i didn't learn from it at all.
there is a lot of noticed that are too obvious and then the topic looks huge.
i found subject specification on exam board web, and there syllabus. to each question in syllabus I found a very short answer on some blog trought google (just search all the queastion).
then i wrote it down into pad. after all i had all topic only in few pages

Yeah I'm doing edexcel igcse biology yeah there's a lot to learn from the book and it's making me nervous I will have a look at what you said thanks
Reply 7
thanks for answers,
i tried to send message days ago, but it was removed:confused:

i made a call to london brookes college,
i wanted to take edexcel board, but they can offer practical unit only for AQA, so no choice is possible.
they can schedule the practical assesment also during weekend, as am working. i have to attend the college 3-4times per science subject.

am filling now the application, so i'll see
thanks so far

Quick Reply

Latest