The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Studying OU modules besides "ordinary" BSc degree

Hi! I'm wondering if it's worth it to study additional modules at OU while I'm taking my degree in Biomedical Sciences. I'd be interested in studying maths because it's not taught at my course. I'm going to do an entire degree course at OU. But the achievements in only few modules are going to be considered for a potential application for a Master course, for example?
Hope you have some experience and can help me,
thanks!!:smile:
Reply 1
Have a look at the price.

And then there's the rules now about pathways and only being allowed to do certain modules together.

Have a look at Coursera.
(edited 9 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Simes

And then there's the rules now about pathways and only being allowed to do certain modules together.

Have a look at Coursera.

But I'd be concerned that if you are already doing full time (120 credits) then to do additional credits on that would be hard going...not impossible but you really need to think about it. I did biology & chemistry at a Durham uni and that was pretty full on couldn't imagine doing more on top of it (turns out I wasn't cut out for full time studying...but that's another story :wink:) . Although I did get to take some Maths modules as part of it. Then completed a different degree at the OU (Maths & Computing).

Not only the time and effort needed but the cost is higher these days for a module with the OU. (Thanks government!) It's around the £1300 mark for a 30pointer and around £2600 for 60 pointer. So any extra modules will have to come out of your own pocket if you already have a student loan for current course.

The OU only allows you to do 150 credits in exceptional circumstances but not sure how it would work if the credits are done at another uni. Best to call and ask and at least get some brochures sent out and have a look over the website. But I personally think you might be over doing it and it might negatively affect grades on original course not to mention eat into spare time. But these are things you will have to weigh up.

A general rule is 9-10hrs for a 30 point module a week and around 20 for a 60point module but it varies between modules and how well you take to it. But I can imagine it might be horrendous if exams/assignments end up being due at similar times though.
Reply 3
Original post by Simes

Have a look at Coursera.

Thanks!!
I am following some courses on Coursera and on Open Yale Courses as well. (If you are interested they are for free and very interesting!!)
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by laalNick
But I'd be concerned that if you are already doing full time (120 credits) then to do additional credits on that would be hard going...not impossible but you really need to think about it. I did biology & chemistry at a Durham uni and that was pretty full on couldn't imagine doing more on top of it (turns out I wasn't cut out for full time studying...but that's another story :wink:) . Although I did get to take some Maths modules as part of it. Then completed a different degree at the OU (Maths & Computing).

Not only the time and effort needed but the cost is higher these days for a module with the OU. (Thanks government!) It's around the £1300 mark for a 30pointer and around £2600 for 60 pointer. So any extra modules will have to come out of your own pocket if you already have a student loan for current course.

The OU only allows you to do 150 credits in exceptional circumstances but not sure how it would work if the credits are done at another uni. Best to call and ask and at least get some brochures sent out and have a look over the website. But I personally think you might be over doing it and it might negatively affect grades on original course not to mention eat into spare time. But these are things you will have to weigh up.

A general rule is 9-10hrs for a 30 point module a week and around 20 for a 60point module but it varies between modules and how well you take to it. But I can imagine it might be horrendous if exams/assignments end up being due at similar times though.

Hi and thank you for your reply!!
You said that you did get to take some Maths modules as part of your degree..How?

And yes, the prices are quite high and I already got a loan for my degree...

I am just trying to find something to put in my CV concerning maths and physics..I think it may be quite important for an application in cellular biology at a Master level..

Original post by Evellinej
Hi and thank you for your reply!!
You said that you did get to take some Maths modules as part of your degree..How?

And yes, the prices are quite high and I already got a loan for my degree...

I am just trying to find something to put in my CV concerning maths and physics..I think it may be quite important for an application in cellular biology at a Master level..

I did natural sciences at Durham (joint bio and chem honours) so I got to pick and choose modules to some extent and took some maths at level 1. (I also did maths & further maths at A level). However if you are wanting to do masters in cellular biology I would concentrate more on the biology than the maths as getting the best marks possible for biology will go a lot further on your application than a few tagged on maths modules which could take your time away from getting the best scores you are capable of in your current degree. You can always ask around unis about masters and how they feel about maths and take a year out and do a couple of maths modules and work alongside to help fund them if you feel you really need them.
Reply 6
Original post by laalNick
I did natural sciences at Durham (joint bio and chem honours) so I got to pick and choose modules to some extent and took some maths at level 1. (I also did maths & further maths at A level). However if you are wanting to do masters in cellular biology I would concentrate more on the biology than the maths as getting the best marks possible for biology will go a lot further on your application than a few tagged on maths modules which could take your time away from getting the best scores you are capable of in your current degree. You can always ask around unis about masters and how they feel about maths and take a year out and do a couple of maths modules and work alongside to help fund them if you feel you really need them.

Thanks for your advise! I will email some universities and they can give me some more information on the preparation they require.

Original post by Evellinej
Thanks for your advise! I will email some universities and they can give me some more information on the preparation they require.

Yeah I think that's the best then you don't end up wasting money & time on something you didn't need to do. They will tell you what they want so then you can go from there.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest