The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Pros and Cons of Keele

I got an offer from Keeleto study film and psychology, unfortunately I'm on a gap year and have to make a decision on which uni to go to whilst I'm out here, so won't have an opportunity to go to an open day.

I was hoping you wonderful people could give a bunch of pros and cons about the uni, the town, the nightlife, the transport, whatever, to give me a better idea of where to go and what to choose

Cheers
Original post by aidangarrett12
I got an offer from Keeleto study film and psychology, unfortunately I'm on a gap year and have to make a decision on which uni to go to whilst I'm out here, so won't have an opportunity to go to an open day.

I was hoping you wonderful people could give a bunch of pros and cons about the uni, the town, the nightlife, the transport, whatever, to give me a better idea of where to go and what to choose

Cheers

Hi,

If you have any questions about studying Psychology, I might be able to help answering a couple of questions you may have there! I recently graduated from Keele after studying Psychology on a dual honours course with Media Communications. Now, I work as a Graduate Assistant in Residence Support at the University, so could probably answer any questions you have about living on campus in halls of residence also!

Hopefully this link may be able to tell you a bit more about the area of Keele http://www.keele.ac.uk/aboutus/aboutthearea/

Many students will agree that the campus environment is much like a 'bubble', where students create their own communities in Keele. However being a campus University away from a city doesn't mean you can't get the best of both! Living here means you can take advantage of wandering around a beautiful campus and the local countryside, but Stoke Train Station is on good rail-links to larger cities of Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, and around 90 minutes on the train from London.

There are enough amenities in the local town of Newcastle-under-Lyme: supermarkets, shops, sports and leisure centres etc. These are only a short bus journey away (the 3/X3 is a popular route for students travelling between Keele, Newcastle Under Lyme, Stoke Station and Hanley).

It's a shame you can't make it to an open day - it's difficult to draw up an entire picture of the University and local area, though let me know if I can answer any other questions!

I hope this helps!

Illana
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Cheers

Hi :smile: I'm a current Keele university student so my answer will be a bit biased but hope it helps you anyway :biggrin:

Pros:
- Beautiful campus
- Friendly and helpful students and staff.
- You'll have no trouble making friends.
- Feels safe (24/7 security team)
- 24/7 library during term time.
- One bus route to and from the nearby town Newcastle-under-Lyme, hospital, stoke rail station and the bigger town Hanely.
- All major supermarkets (lidl, morrisons, sainsbury's, tesco, etc) are easy to get to by bus or if not then they deliver right to your block.
- Wilkinsons, subway, mcdonalds, argos, boots, superdrug, newcastle-under-lyme library, jubilee2 gym, vue cinema, pizza hut, dominos, etc are all nearby.
- Alton Towers is just two bus journeys away.
- I don't drink or party so can't really talk about my experiences on the nightlife but other students seem to like it.
- You can walk around campus in your pyjamas and no one will find it strange haha :biggrin:
- Birmingham and Manchester are easy and quick to get to by train.
- We have an observatory free entry on Tuesday evenings.
- The squirrels!!

Cons
- Not the best place for a proper shopping spree but Manchester and Birmingham are easy enough to get to if you need to.
- Sometimes, especially on sundays, it can feel a little too quiet if you're used to a big busy city. I personally like it it's nice and peaceful but I know people who don't.

Hope this helped!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :biggrin:

Samera
Second year pharmacy student at Keele :smile:
That really helps actually :smile: is the public transport expensive? Like, how much do you reckon you spent each month?
That really helps actually :smile: is the public transport expensive? Like, how much do you reckon you spent each month?

Students can buy a pass called the 'student 10 trip' you pay £15 for 10 bus journeys and there is no expiry so each trip would be just £1.50 which is cheaper than places like Birmingham where it is £2.20. There are also longer bus passes available if you take a bus everyday but if you live on campus that probably won't be the case. I usually go to town maximum once a week for general shopping and days out so £12 a month if I take the bus and go to town every week (which I don't really).

If you are going somewhere with a group of friends you can also take a taxi and split the fare. To Newcastle-under-lyme it's about £4 and to the train station or Hanely its about £5 - £7.

Samera
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
How often do the buses to newcastle under-Lyme and Hanely come?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Curlsss
How often do the buses to newcastle under-Lyme and Hanely come?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About every 10-15 mins during the weekdays; it takes a bit longer on Sundays :smile:

Samera
Reply 7
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx
Hi :smile: I'm a current Keele university student so my answer will be a bit biased but hope it helps you anyway :biggrin:

Pros:
- Beautiful campus
- One bus route to and from the nearby town Newcastle-under-Lyme, hospital, stoke rail station and the bigger town Hanely.
- All major supermarkets (lidl, morrisons, sainsbury's, tesco, etc) are easy to get to by bus or if not then they deliver right to your block.
- Wilkinsons, subway, mcdonalds, argos, boots, superdrug, newcastle-under-lyme library, jubilee2 gym, vue cinema, pizza hut, dominos, etc are all nearby.
- I don't drink or party so can't really talk about my experiences on the nightlife but other students seem to like it.
- You can walk around campus in your pyjamas and no one will find it strange haha :biggrin:
- The squirrels!!

Cons
- Not the best place for a proper shopping spree but Manchester and Birmingham are easy enough to get to if you need to.
- Sometimes, especially on sundays, it can feel a little too quiet if you're used to a big busy city. I personally like it it's nice and peaceful but I know people who don't.

Hope this helped!

Samera

Does the keele bubble exist with only people from keele hanging out with keele students
Original post by deww6
Does the keele bubble exist with only people from keele hanging out with keele students

Hi my name's Jodie I work in the Student Services Centre and graduated from Keele last year. My personal view is that there is a personal feel to campus where you will get to know a lot of people and make a lot of friends on campus since the buildings and halls are so close together. This is the main reason Keele is sometimes referred to as a 'bubble'. Also because everything you need is on campus e.g. a doctors, a pharmacy, shops, bars, places to eat, there's no need to travel if you didn't want to. However, it's so easy to get to cities such as Manchester and Birmingham which are both an hour away, when I was a student we used to go shopping there a lot together.

Also there are trips run throughout the year to places which are a bit more tricky to get to such as Blackpool, Liverpool, Bristol etc.

You are welcome to have friends come and stay over and come to nights out in the Students' Union.

Hope this helps.

Jodie
Reply 9
Original post by Keele University
Hi my name's Jodie I work in the Student Services Centre and graduated from Keele last year. My personal view is that there is a personal feel to campus where you will get to know a lot of people and make a lot of friends on campus since the buildings and halls are so close together. This is the main reason Keele is sometimes referred to as a 'bubble'. Also because everything you need is on campus e.g. a doctors, a pharmacy, shops, bars, places to eat, there's no need to travel if you didn't want to. However, it's so easy to get to cities such as Manchester and Birmingham which are both an hour away, when I was a student we used to go shopping there a lot together.

Also there are trips run throughout the year to places which are a bit more tricky to get to such as Blackpool, Liverpool, Bristol etc.

You are welcome to have friends come and stay over and come to nights out in the Students' Union.

Hope this helps.

Jodie

As I am from London, would you see me fitting in to the biggish change in surroundings. I quite like the busy life London has to offer
Reply 10
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx

Pros:
- Beautiful campus
- The squirrels!!

Cons

Hope this helped!

Samera

Also how is pharmacy going for yu as I have applied their to study pharmacy
I spent a year at Keele, here's what I thought of it.

Pros: Everything you need is on campus, it's pretty & green.

Cons: Yeah the library is open 24/7, but it's way too small, especially during examination periods. I found it impossible to find a seat on many occasion, which was disappointing.

Stoke isn't the nicest area to look at, to be quite honest it looked rather gloomy. Some of the accommodation isn't the best.
Original post by deww6
Also how is pharmacy going for yu as I have applied their to study pharmacy

Hi

That's great! You'll definitely enjoy Keele if you decide to come here the university is really very special.

In terms of the pharmacy course I'm doing well; it's definitely not easy but it's 100% achievable if you put in the time and work. I'm a procrastinator and that's where most of my main issues were but as you progress through the years you become better at avoiding it. The difficulty of the course is pretty much what you'd expect for university and it's possible to learn all of the topics. There's plenty of support available if you get really stuck though.

Good luck with your application :smile: hope this helped. If you have any more questions or need anything clarifying let me know.

Samera
Third year pharmacy student at Keele :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deww6
As I am from London, would you see me fitting in to the biggish change in surroundings. I quite like the busy life London has to offer

I'm from Birmingham so a pretty big city though not as busy as London and I do miss the busier life living in Stoke from time to time. Especially when it comes to finding a good place to eat with friends or go for a shopping spree. However, the quiet is great for studying I can't get any work done at home and it's lovely to be in the green surroundings of the campus in nice weather just to walk and relax.

Keele is also not completely remote as mentioned above it's well connected to Manchester, Bham and London via the trains and I've had many day trips out to eat and shop then it's nice to come back to campus as it really grows on you.

A final thing is that the uni does pretty popular SU party nights. I'm unfortunately unable to give you any info on that though as I don't drink and party personally but if you're interested then I'm sure any other member on here can answer your questions :smile:

Hope this helped

Samera
Third year pharmacy student at Keele :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by deww6

I'm from London as well and I love it here! Definitely quite a change when it comes to things like transport - I miss my oyster card ;(
This is tricky as it really depends on your personality and interests. I loved Keele because I found it calm and relaxing. In the spring I would head down to Keele Hall and study on the grass in the sun. I enjoyed having a safety bus take me back to halls after a night in the Students' Union instead of getting a taxi back. I liked that because the Students' Union is the main place people go out you meet so many people you know and the majority are Keele Students. Keele is very different to a city but personally I preferred that because it meant I could have the beautiful campus to walk around and could have relaxing days with friends but I could go to the city environment whenever I wanted by hopping on a train.

Everyone is different it just depends what you are looking for in a university.

I've attached a picture I took in Autumn last year of Keele Hall.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Do you drive? Getting a parking permit is hard, but paying to park is not too expensive and if you really want to be more adventurous lots of people live in Manchester or Birmingham and commute to the university for classes - it's not so easy if you join a sports team though I think. You could always live your first year on campus and see!
Hi!
just got an undergrad offer to keele to do Law with politics and I'm now drawing up my own pros n cons list, so i was just wondering about how the political climate is in keele?
Reply 18
It's gorgeous and the teaching quality is good.
Original post by JasmineLas01
Hi!
just got an undergrad offer to keele to do Law with politics and I'm now drawing up my own pros n cons list, so i was just wondering about how the political climate is in keele?

Hello there,

Keele is a university open to a range of political views, and I think from my experience students understand and respect your opinions. The Student Union has several political societies who all co-exist fairly peacefully, and all students are welcome to get involved in union decisions.

Keele once declared themselves an independent state in the seventies.:tongue:
https://www.keele.ac.uk/thekeeleoralhistoryproject/declarationofindependence/

Hope this helps.:yy:
Mark,
Second year

Quick Reply

Latest