The Student Room Group

Is it weird to shop at charity shops?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
I've never been to one before! What's it like?!

:rolleyes:
Original post by pocahontas lol

What's your problem?
Charity shop vs vintage? To me they are the same thing. Buying from charity shop is no different to buying off a seller on eBay. Yeah they have been used but if in good nick, clean and you clean them again anyway (other peoples stuff never smell right to me even when cleaned...) ...
Only thing is charity shops near me bit crap, ok for books etc but unless 60+ & obese clothes are awful lol! But I did like some in Durham when was at uni.
I've never been to one before! What's it like?!

Depends on the charity shop, some are more organised than others. Some have a bit of a funny smell which I'm pretty sure is from all the books they often have. Books just seem to smell after a while.

Also a lot of charity shops sell new stuff as well, a lot of stores or outlets seem to donate old stock that didn't sell and stuff like that so it's not all used stuff.

If you're wanting to go in there knowing what you want to find you won't enjoy shopping a charity shop because it can be hard to do that, if however you don't mind browsing and looking through racks of things and just having a general gander it can be good. And you often find unique things.
Original post by laalNick
Charity shop vs vintage? To me they are the same thing. Buying from charity shop is no different to buying off a seller on eBay. Yeah they have been used but if in good nick, clean and you clean them again anyway (other peoples stuff never smell right to me even when cleaned...) ...
Only thing is charity shops near me bit crap, ok for books etc but unless 60+ & obese clothes are awful lol! But I did like some in Durham when was at uni.

Since I'm the only one who said the word "vintage" that I know of, I didn't say charity shops are vintage. I said they sell clothing that people no longer want and used to own. So common sense says, these are old or "vintage" clothes. And hipsters, as another poster mentioned, are one of the major types appreciating the vintage trend.
What's your problem?

Original post by Anna1437
Same well at least 50%. Just like the idea of helping charities as I feel bad I no longer have time to do voluntary work. Oh and bargains!

Aww that's sweet!
for my case it's just because it's cheaper haha

Do you rewash the clothes before you wear them?

yeah. But keep in mind some of the stuff is new as corporations often donate clothes to avoid financial aid (mostly unsold clothes but YE)
Original post by SophieSmall
Depends on the charity shop, some are more organised than others. Some have a bit of a funny smell which I'm pretty sure is from all the books they often have. Books just seem to smell after a while.

Also a lot of charity shops sell new stuff as well, a lot of stores or outlets seem to donate old stock that didn't sell and stuff like that so it's not all used stuff.

If you're wanting to go in there knowing what you want to find you won't enjoy shopping a charity shop because it can be hard to do that, if however you don't mind browsing and looking through racks of things and just having a general gander it can be good. And you often find unique things.

I shall go and have alittle tour :h:
I shall go and have alittle tour :h:

Have fun :smile: and just member all charity shops are different, and if you don't like one it doesn't mean you won't like another. Also charity shops closer to city centres tend to have better stuff or newer stuff
When I worked in a charity shop the clothes that went good enough to sell were cut up and put in bags to be sold for sewing projects which I thought was a great idea. This was a few yrs ago so not sure if its still what's done

In the ones I worked at, they were bagged up and sold for donation money to the "rag man". I don't know what he did with them.
Charity shops are great, I was amazed at them when I visited the UK - I wish we had them in my country. Take advantage of them because you're lucky to have them :biggrin:
Original post by pocahontas lol
Since I'm the only one who said the word "vintage" that I know of, I didn't say charity shops are vintage. I said they sell clothing that people no longer want and used to own. So common sense says, these are old or "vintage" clothes. And hipsters, as another poster mentioned, are one of the major types appreciating the vintage trend.

Oh I wasn't meaning any poster on here more of a general thing....like in magazines when refer to things as vintage and posers about town who do "vintage darling" :wink: Second hand is second hand in my book and if it's a bargain and in good shape then I don't care where it comes from!
I don't use them much but you can get great things

One time i got a nintendo ds for a fiver

Last month, there was a brand new 'line a day journal' for 5 years in the window... Only a pound!

£8 on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Line-Day-Five-Year-Memory/dp/0811870197/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423165079&sr=8-1&keywords=Line+a+day
Reply 33
I think it's weird not to with all the bargains to be had!!!

plus I'd rather prefer the profits to go to cancer research or save the puppy or whatever instead of into the pockets of those who extort child workers in dingy corners of the world.
Original post by Ricky Rooster
Is it not weird that other people would have worn those swimsuits?

Is it not weird that people had shared memories in those garments?

Is it not weird that charity shops don't give clothes to charity? Am i right?

Yes it's weird. Don't do it, it's a trap

I suppose it could be seen as weird for the memories but then again it does pop into my mind of I would like to know what the swimsuits looked like on the previous girls who have worn them and know a bit of the history from when it was first brought till it ending up in the charity shop and see them wearing them.

I always wash the clothes before wear them and the charity shop from what I guess does clean them. If people didn't pass clothes on either via charity shops or online then there would be a lot of clothes which would either end up in land fill or get recycled for some other things what ever that is which would be a shame as there is nothing wrong with the clothes in the charity shops they are mainly defect free.

I think that charity shops do give some clothes to those who need it and either sell the rest in their shops or do other things with the clothes which can't be sold for what ever reason. The money they make from selling the clothes I am sure some of it does go to help the people who need it. To some it is weird to others it isn't. There can be some snobbery with charity shops but at the end of the day the money is probably doing some good.
Original post by SophieSmall
Your friends sound like pompous snobs to be honest, I got my newest bag from a charity shop and I love it. Charity shops are fantastic places, and It's hardly disgusting at all. I'm pretty sure charity shops actually have to comply with hygiene standards and wash all things given to them. As for shameful, how ridiculous. So it's shameful according to your friends to pick up bits and bobs in the name of charity? I think your friends are the shameful ones. :tongue:
they sure do worked in one yesh boi!

the mens selection can often be poor though hence I dont shop there

as for books I only want specific stuff
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'll take you, awesome 2nd date! :awesome:

Yup, course! (albeit because people may have tried them on and they may need creases washing/ironing out etc)

Couldn't agree more :h:

I hope you mean it :h:
Aye,I don't know if I would feel comfortable wearing clothes which once belonged to a complete stranger!
That being said,I have donated my old clothes to charity,to help women/children in Syria and Palestine.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Course, it will be a cute date - we could even make it into a challenge, each having a certain budget! Got dragged round Brick Lane market yesterday by the Italians and now I have a hankering for some charity shop action (a lot of the stuff there was actually very expensive and not all that dissimilar from what you get in charity shops)!

You'd be comfortable enough wearing mine and they once belonged to a man who was once a complete stranger :sexface:

Good for you :smile:

Something like that would definitely be life changing as you know what my upbringing was like and right now,I'm looking for some photo frames,like really nice ones. I have looked in my latest Harrods edition but it's so expensive and they aren't that nice so we should go on a hunt for things!

Yeah because it's sexy when a girl wears her man's baggy shirts or hoody,I wouldn't question where it came from. :wink:
Your friends are idiots, it's fine.
For the last 6 or so months almost all my clothes I've got have been from charity shops. I've picked up some real bargains on good brands. But some of my friends think its absolutely disgusting and shameful. I always wash everything and obviously don't buy second hand underwear! What do you think?

I do it all the time sweetie

Quick Reply

Latest