The Student Room Group

Joined new course in 3rd year and marking criteria seems very different.

I studied 2 years on a Digital Design course and when I got to the third year joined to the equivalent course at the partner university in Graphic Communication. Throughout my two years I worked reasonably hard, not much intense effort, but I am naturally academic so I got mainly firsts (my grades ranged from 68 at lowest to 84 at highest). Great! I was really pleased and proud of myself. Now in the 3rd year of the other course, I have presented 2 projects so far and I put in so much more effort as I felt I needed to give a good impression to my new tutors etc. However, despite a greater intensity of effort and work load on my part, I have received the lowest grades I have ever got. (64 and 65) now I know 2:1 is a decent grade, and that is not the issue, I am just concerned that I was maybe previously being marked too nicely, or maybe now too harshly? I'm leaning more towards my last course marking me too highly but I am now a bit uneasy about what I have to do to get a first again. I put in a lot of effort and the feedback was all positive but it just feels so odd to drop by like 10-15%. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest