The Student Room Group

Tell Tutors about Depression YES / NO?

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding depression & uni / mitigating circumstances and need your advice.
I believe that I was depressed for the past 3 months, since I have not been able to do much with my life to a really extreme extend during that time, I just felt like a stone. Well, during that time I realized that there is something wrong somehow, but I did not do anything about it or cared much, I just couldn't.
My tinnitus (I got tinnitus with 16) also got really loud during that time. The tinnitus got better soon though, I'm kind of used to it anyways if it is not all too loud, but the depression didn't go for quite some time. I am now feeling a bit better though still not fit.

Apart from feeling unfit still and hoping to get an appointment with a psychiatrist soon, my problem is this now: I had a deadline 3 weeks ago! I handed in my drafts that I had mostly written before things got bad. I couldn't be bothered to do any more work, so on the day of the deadline all I did was handing everything in as it was, well i added one sentence saying that I could not finish the paper properly and went through the quotes.

I am not sure what to do now.
I now that depression can be a mitigating circumstance, but I cannot prove anything, I didn't go to a GP or anything, and I should have also submitted the claim at the latest 2 weeks ago from now, but I didn't care about failing or not, but now I do care.
I am just worried that this will sound like a massive excuse to my professors and that they won't believe me, because, let's be honest, it would not be difficult to make something like this up and I have absolutely no evidence.
The only thing that I do have evidence for is my lifelong tinnitus (that is documented) and that my brother had a major depression last year as well (which is irrelevant, but might be showing that it's in the family? I dont know.)

Also, if they DO believe me, I don't want to be the psycho, i don't want the stigma of being someone who is mentally ill or that i'm f*** up in some weird way. I know people will not necessarily think that, but let's be honest, there are still many people who see it this way and who think that having a depression is similar to having a low mood, and that I should have cheered myself up etc.

What do you think should I do?
I would be willing to just leave it, if I don't fail, just to not have to talk to my professors, but if I fail both modules I would hate myself for not having said anything. But even writing this I feel like I'm lying.
Reply 1
hello? : /
Hi

Please talk to your tutors, in my second year I suffered depression and did not tell anyone, but then in my third year I got involved in some really messy stuff and had to tell the uni. I was so surprised by the amount of support given, they wanted me to do well and wanted to place measures to help me succeed. I wish in my second year I confided in my tutor, I could have got the help I needed.
I applied for mitgiating circumstances but couldnt get the evidence on time, they were so understanding and allowed me to submit it 2 weeks later than the deadline. They can`t help you unless you tell them.
Perhaps see a councillor or doctor and get them to diagnose you, this would be evidence.
Hope that helps :-)

And BTW there is nothing wrong with having a mental illness, university is not all fun and partying. People go through so many things that you don`t hear about, and you`d be surprised at how many people actually have mental health problems.
Nope, just keep it bottled in

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I do

Posted from TSR Mobile
And it works ever so well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look listen, whether you tell them you have depression or not to them, it doesn't get you special treatment.

I know this because i have depression. This is the UK, if you think telling them you have depression would save you from exclusion then you are wrong. My tutors and past tutors knew about my depression. Two of them kicked me out of the college and im expecting a third exclusion shortly.

I personally would rather not bother but if your depression is so evident then they might even guess something is wrong with you.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,
I have a question regarding depression & uni / mitigating circumstances and need your advice.
I believe that I was depressed for the past 3 months, since I have not been able to do much with my life to a really extreme extend during that time, I just felt like a stone. Well, during that time I realized that there is something wrong somehow, but I did not do anything about it or cared much, I just couldn't.
My tinnitus (I got tinnitus with 16) also got really loud during that time. The tinnitus got better soon though, I'm kind of used to it anyways if it is not all too loud, but the depression didn't go for quite some time. I am now feeling a bit better though still not fit.

Apart from feeling unfit still and hoping to get an appointment with a psychiatrist soon, my problem is this now: I had a deadline 3 weeks ago! I handed in my drafts that I had mostly written before things got bad. I couldn't be bothered to do any more work, so on the day of the deadline all I did was handing everything in as it was, well i added one sentence saying that I could not finish the paper properly and went through the quotes.

I am not sure what to do now.
I now that depression can be a mitigating circumstance, but I cannot prove anything, I didn't go to a GP or anything, and I should have also submitted the claim at the latest 2 weeks ago from now, but I didn't care about failing or not, but now I do care.
I am just worried that this will sound like a massive excuse to my professors and that they won't believe me, because, let's be honest, it would not be difficult to make something like this up and I have absolutely no evidence.
The only thing that I do have evidence for is my lifelong tinnitus (that is documented) and that my brother had a major depression last year as well (which is irrelevant, but might be showing that it's in the family? I dont know.)

Also, if they DO believe me, I don't want to be the psycho, i don't want the stigma of being someone who is mentally ill or that i'm f*** up in some weird way. I know people will not necessarily think that, but let's be honest, there are still many people who see it this way and who think that having a depression is similar to having a low mood, and that I should have cheered myself up etc.

What do you think should I do?
I would be willing to just leave it, if I don't fail, just to not have to talk to my professors, but if I fail both modules I would hate myself for not having said anything. But even writing this I feel like I'm lying.

Yes. Talk to people. Just talk even if you think they don't want to hear it. You have to take care of yourself. Just try. I wish I talked when I should have.
your tutors wont treat you any differently because of mental health difficulties so don't worry about stigma, they will be used to these things coming up

I would talk to your tutor about your options with regards to mitigating circumstances as they will be able to advise you best
Reply 9
I was recently diagnosed with depression and am in the process of getting mitigating circumstances which will cover the whole semester, im not sure if this is the usual thing but i gave them a doctors letter which explained that id actually been depressed since before i even started the course. My personal tutor and head of department are the only ones that know, i think, my other tutors just know that im ill a lot and am getting mitigating circumstances. When i first mentioned to my PT that i was a bit depressed i got very little sympathy and was told to go see a doctor, once i was diagnosed and gave them the letter he was very supportive.
I would highly recommend going to see your GP at least, even if you decide not to tell your university you can start treatment and get help, im now on antidepressants and am on the waiting list for counselling (so go as soon as possible, mine had a 4-6 week wait), and im now starting to improve :smile:
As difficult/awkward as it can seem, telling them is better than not telling them. If you apply for (and get) mitigating circumstances, there'll be less pressure for you.

And as an above poster said, there will have been other students in your situation now.

Good luck with everything x
Reply 11
I do tell my tutors, and they are amazing. I'm with the OU for my studies but also work for a different uni.
If your diagnosis is likely to last for more than 6 months then you can apply for your Disabled Students Allowance.
Once you are on the system, by going to a Disability Officer and explaining, as a student with mental health issues you have some degree of protection. You are more likely to get extensions. You will be told how to access crisis support out of hours if you need it. You may get interim mentoring support while your DSA is sorted out.
Reply 12
I don't have an official diagnosis, never been to a GP because of depression telling me I'm just overreacting, that there;s nothing wrong, I'm just being a pain, the usual, but I told my tutor about it coming back on the prompting of my best friend as well as about the anxiety it dragged in with it and he's been really understanding so far!

I've got counselling with Student Support but I don't know how far that would go if I needed ECs.

I haven't applied for extenuating circumstances, because I don't know if I need them at the moment, but eh stress is coming and that's rocky ground for me so I'll just see how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest