The Student Room Group

Integration question

I have been stuck on it for nearly an hour. I have no idea how to solve it. Answer is a bit tedious and anything i get is miles off the real answer. Any help/tips appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nirm
I have been stuck on it for nearly an hour. I have no idea how to solve it.

Can you show some working as this is a fairly straightforward substitution question
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Can you show some working as this is a fairly straightforward substitution question

Basically, i did dx= 1/sec^2x du so the sec^2x cancels out into 1
so i have 1.tax.root u^2 du
simplifies to 1.tanx.u du
than i try to integrate it but the answer i end up getting is wrong compared to the answer i am meant to get which involes power of 5/2 and 3/2
Original post by Nirm
than i try to integrate it but the answer i end up getting is wrong compared to the answer i am meant to get which involes power of 5/2 and 3/2

Well ... You don't integrate that ... It still has x in it ... You need to continue the substitution before you integrate
Original post by Nirm

You are integrating with respect to U and u only. X is a variable and thats why you cant integrate that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well ... You don't integrate that ... It still has x in it ... You need to continue the substitution before you integrate

Okay thanks. Also do you know how i can remove images that i didn't mean to upload? I didn't mean to upload the first one buts its just there now and i don't know how to remove it :confused:
Original post by Nirm
Okay thanks. Also do you know how i can remove images that i didn't mean to upload? I didn't mean to upload the first one buts its just there now and i don't know how to remove it :confused:

No ... It can be a pain ... You could report your own post and ask a mod
Reply 7
No ... It can be a pain ... You could report your own post and ask a mod

Ah okay thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest