The Student Room Group

alevel chemistry/biology for me for law??/

hey guys im picking a levels soon with the goal of going to uni to do law.

already decided on 2 subjects history and eng lit.

however i don't know much about a level biology and chemistry. for each of them i would like opinions/facts on difficulty and will i be able to manage with history and eng lit.

also i would like to know the type of things ill be studying and how they're different to gcse. i know i excel in the subject and really enjoy it but im put off by myths of ppl dropping out for one reason or another. are these myths true?

Alternatively i'm considering psychology as i really enjoyed it in taster sessions. but i would like a mix of subjects.

help is very much appreciated ppl.

predicted gcses are: 7As 3Bs: am i capable?
Reply 1
I do Chemistry and Biology.

Obviously it depends on the exam board, but for AS edexcel Chemistry it starts off quite straightforward - in fact, unit one really isn't much harder than GCSE single-award Chemistry. In unit two you study some areas in more detail, such as organics and kinetics/equilibrium, but the difficulty level isn't too high. Rather than a single coursework assignment, you complete a series of assessed practicals and then sit a short practical-based exam which tests pure recall. As for A2, I obviously haven't finished the course yet, but it is considerably harder. The depth of knowledge required is extremely high and there is certainly a big jump up from AS.

For AS AQA Biology, there is lots to learn and memorise. Virtually all of the entire AS papers are based on recalling information or applying it to vaguely different situations. In my opinion, the best way to excel is to simply practice numerous past papers. At A2, I don't think that the step-up is quite as bad as compared with Chemistry, it's just lots to memorise.

I think Chemistry and Biology would be good compliments to History and English Literature. I also chose 2 sciences/2 arts - I think it shows you have a broad range of abilities. Good luck.
Personally although the course gets harder, I found that FOR MY LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE I didn't feel it getting any harder to understand. The work is in more detail, but you hav emore experience so can grasp is better if you catch my drift. I, however, am in the minority and most find some aspects of A-level very hard. (Chem, I didn;'t do bio). Either would be fine...
ta for da feedback.but will the science subjects be bad subjects for law? ie will the tutors think more less of it.
Reply 4
No!
Reply 5
For a competitive subject like law, the most important thing are the grades rather than the subject. However, it is often recommended to have at least one essay writing subject then whatever you want apart from that. Another recommendation is to take traditional, respected subjects which (arguably) teach more valuable skills.
You've got TWO essay writing subjects (arguably the two most important) so you've got nothing to worry about.
Also by choosing two sciences you show that you can think logically, very attractive, some law schools even favour those who show a mixture of a level subjects (like your perfect arts:science mix)
Reply 6
Completely personal view so feel free to ignore it! I took the same a-levels you're thinking of and dropped chemistry for a-level. Really didn't enjoy it much, was lots of learning hard facts and not creating your own opinion really. I thought that bio and chem would stand me in good stead in case i wanted to follow a career in medicine but i eventually chose law. I think it makes my subjects sound rounded and i'm certain that a combo of arts and sciences WON'T stand you in bad stead when applying for law. Still, i ain't got any offers yet so we'll see!
I just started my AS Levels taking that combination - and I'm mostly enjoying it. It involves a lot of work... but if you think you can manage, go for it.
Strangely, I'm finding Biology more of a challenge than Chemistry. But it's a question of memorizing and learning - and if you managed to get good grades at GCSE, and you work hard, you should do fine.
How could chemistry ever be forming your own opinion... no offence but at A-level what you do is still very basic... unless you do original research for degree then you might get opinions, but even so it;s rare.

As for history a-level, ur very unlikely to be expressing ur own opinions anyway, everyone in the country probably says that a source from communist Russia is biased and this means X,Y,Z... everyone has the same opinions on Bismarck's time in charge etc... still not exactly forming ur own opinion, cos if you are ur a genius... most stuff has already been written somewhere!

Latest

Trending

Trending