The Student Room Group

What happens after a Foundation Year?

Hey,
So I applied for Computer Science (G407) with Plymouth University and they've offered me Computing with Foundation Year (G408).
I understand the concept of the foundation year but what exactly happens after? I'd still like to study Computer Science with them but do I have to re-apply via UCAS to Plymouth again? And will I have any higher chances of getting in with them than anyone else or because I've done the FY with them, would I automatically get a spot?

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey,
So I applied for Computer Science (G407) with Plymouth University and they've offered me Computing with Foundation Year (G408).
I understand the concept of the foundation year but what exactly happens after? I'd still like to study Computer Science with them but do I have to re-apply via UCAS to Plymouth again? And will I have any higher chances of getting in with them than anyone else or because I've done the FY with them, would I automatically get a spot?

Thanks
If you pass the foundation year then you move into year 1 of the degree. You don't apply through UCAS.
i dont think you need to re-apply, once u pass the foundation year you may continue with the full degree... i think anyway
Reply 4
Original post by Calummullen
Hey,

Thanks

If you pass the foundation year, you will be given an automatic spot on the actual degree next year. However, what I would be vary off is whether Computing with foundation degree allows you to progress to a Computer Science degree, personally don't think it would be an issue but it is still worth contacting the admission tutors by email to be sure because Computing is regarded as a different degree to Computer Science.
Original post by Calummullen
Hey,

Thanks

Generally if you pass you'll be able to progress into Yr1 of the course.

Sometimes a FY will prepare you for a range of courses so you might be able to chose to study something other than CS if you change your mind.

Sometimes a FY doesn't come with guaranteed progression onto the course you want (this is particularly the case with a handful of FY courses which offer *some* people entry onto medicine but most people only get offered to carry on with biology courses).

Sometimes a FY will be taught by a local FE/sixth form college so although you'll live in halls you wont be taught by university staff.

Sometimes a FY will be taught by a private profit making company so although you'll live in halls you wont be taught by university staff.

The only way to find out for sure what is being offered in this particular case is to talk to Plymouth and ask them about the FY. Ask what courses you can progress onto. Ask when that gets decided. Ask what guarantees they give. Ask who will be teaching you.
I actually know a few people who did this course and similar foundation years at Plymouth. Obviously things are subject to change, but currently foundation years are taught on the university campus by university staff. Foundation degrees aren't, and are delivered by partner colleges, and the quality of these does vary between colleges- I know in some cases, those wanting to top up their degree had to enter year 2 of some programs instead of year 3, because the college hadn't covered enough content.

I believe you have to achieve 70% or higher to guarantee your progression, which the majority of people do achieve, but they are fairly intensive courses, so it is quite common for people to miss the grade and not be allowed to progress, and you don't get as many chances to resit as you do during your actual degree.

Everything is subject to change though, so do confirm all of this with the university before deciding whether or not to accept the offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending