The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

under 1000 cals a day isn't healthy, you need more. Do some exercise to lose weight if you want instead. Your weight is fine anyway, your BMI would be around 20 which is on the lower side of average. And if your a size 8/10 thats also fine.
That sounds an ideal weight to me.
Reply 3
Well for starters your not eating enough, eat at least 1200 cals a day if you want to lose weight. But to be honest you sound like youre at an ideal weight anyway.
Reply 4
Strangely enough, you may be eating too little - your body goes into fasting mode and stores all available food. Eat little and often - split 1600-2000 calories into 6 meals per day, cut carbs out after 6pm. Make sure your protein intake is high too, it feeds muscle which burns calories and helps promote weight loss. And of course exercise 4-5 times per week. It's a gradual process.:smile:
Reply 5
ok then.i'll try that. what exercises can i do to tone up my legs? especially my thighs?
Reply 6
Using a BMI calculator, (body mass index), and your information (5 foot 4.5, 9 stone), your BMI value is 21.6

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

You are well within the 'normal' category.

If you were to drop to 8.5 stone, your BMI would be 20.4
Even though this would still be considered normal, you do NOT need to loose weight, and you should be eating alot more than 1000 calories a day.

Please don't take peoples dieting advice.
Reply 7
For thighs do squats and lunges. Not too heavy weights, more reps than normal, say 15-20, 4-5 sets. You could try circuits too to break the boredom.

But remember that definition comes from losing the fat which covers the muscles, so CV work is essential. Rowing and swimming would be good for leg definition. :smile:
Reply 8
Bananarama
Using a BMI calculator, (body mass index), and your information (5 foot 4.5, 9 stone), your BMI value is 21.6

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

You are well within the 'normal' category.

If you were to drop to 8.5 stone, your BMI would be 20.4
Even though this would still be considered normal, you do NOT need to loose weight, and you should be eating alot more than 1000 calories a day.

Please don't take peoples dieting advice.

Firstly, BMI is relatively pointless for all but model build people. A better guide is waist/hip ratio.

Secondly, sensible dieting advice is good - a healthy, balanced diet coupled with exercise is sound advice. Nobody here has said anything bad, and most have said eat more.
Reply 9
im happy with what i am, thanks.
Reply 10
my weight to hip ratio is 0.79, which is really high isnt it?
Reply 11
Anonymous
my weight to hip ratio is 0.79, which is really high isnt it?

Not at all, that's within the ideal limit!
Reply 12
Hang on, just re-read - it's waist not weight you want to be using.

But all these measurements are only very general guides. You can't radically alter your shape unless you want to bodybuild. It's best just to eat balanced and exercise. Don't fret so much!:smile:
Reply 13
yeh, sorry. i meant to type waist. just got confused. thanks!
i wish i was 14st , i gues just eat healthy, and exericise , i am still going thru my "losing weight" period , i guess just another few months....
You aren't eating enough, which means you must have a really slow metabolism. I'm probably the same proportions as you, but I probably eat around 2,500 calories per day (although I exercise a lot). Because you're not eating enough, your body realises that it isn't getting the ideal amount of calories, and so it has become more "efficient", i.e. requires fewer calories to function. If you eat 4-6 small meals each day, amounting to 2,000 calories in total, and do some exercise, you will be able to raise your metabolism. I would recommend swimming twice a week for fitness, and weights twice a week to build muscle. Muscle will make you put on weight, but you will be slimmer because muscle is highly metabolic tissue, and the more muscle you have, the faster your body burns fat even when you are resting. If I were you I would ignore your weight and focus on your measurements instead. That way you won't freak out if you put on muscle weight, because presumably you're more concerned with your actual size than with numbers on a set of scales. You don't actually need to lose weight at all, but your lifestyle isn't healthy, and if you do want to lose weight, you're going completely the wrong way about it. Also, if you continue to eat so little, you will have weight problems in later life because as your body becomes more and more efficient, you will function on fewer and fewer calories, and will need to keep eating less and less just to stay the same weight. So weights really are the way forward. And don't worry, you won't get butch. Women just don't bulk up in the way that men do.
Reply 16
Apricot Fairy
And don't worry, you won't get butch. Women just don't bulk up in the way that men do.

I started getting butch when I was doing press-ups. I did 10 press-ups everyday for a year and by the end of the year my chest looked a lot bigger (I had even developed a few stretch marks on my chest) and I had big muscley arms, haha. But I've stopped now.
Anonymous
im 18, 5ft 4.5 and around 9 stone.size 8/10. is this normal? i really want to get down to at least 8 and a half stones, but i cant seem to lose anything. i loose about a pound a week, if that, and can put it straight back on. i eat healthily, and normally eat under 1000 cals a day. help please?

Hiya - I'm 20, same height, possibly a slightly bigger build, I'm not sure, you haven't said, and I was weighed at the doctors last week. Apparently I'm 4 pounds over my optimum weight and I weight 11st at the moment. (Quite happy, lost a stone in the last few months :smile: )

Having said that, it shouldn't be about what you weigh, but how you feel.

Under 1000 calories a day will make you ill, you'll be lethargic and in all possibility put on more weight because you'll not have the energy to do anything.
Reply 18
Michelle12
I started getting butch when I was doing press-ups. I did 10 press-ups everyday for a year and by the end of the year my chest looked a lot bigger (I had even developed a few stretch marks on my chest) and I had big muscley arms, haha. But I've stopped now.

Blimey, I'd love to be able to only do 10 pressups a day and develop my chest!:smile:
Reply 19
Dimebag
Blimey, I'd love to be able to only do 10 pressups a day and develop my chest!:smile:

The stretch marks put me off. After a few months it was very slight, then after 7 months or so it became quite noticeable then after a year I had developed two stretch marks on either side of my chest and I decided to stop alltogether. :p:

My breasts perked up aswell, they looked really good actually and I didn't really want to stop. I had got so used to the routine but I couldn't stand the thought of developing more stretch marks on my chest because they're so hard to get rid of.

Latest

Trending

Trending