The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St Catharine's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Yep A*A*A is now the standard Cambridge sciences offer for all colleges. A*AA for arts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But but on their website under entry requirements it says:

"At present the typical conditional offer for applicants to Cambridge courses in science is A*A*A, and for arts and humanities subjects A*AA. However, the St Catharine's 'typical' A-level offer for candidates who apply in autumn 2014 will be A*AA in all subjects - arts, humanities and science"

But it would seem they haven't stuck to this, so some students hoping for an easier time by applying to St Catharines may have had a surprise when their letter arrived.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by uklizzie
But but on their website under entry requirements it says:

"At present the typical conditional offer for applicants to Cambridge courses in science is A*A*A, and for arts and humanities subjects A*AA. However, the St Catharine's 'typical' A-level offer for candidates who apply in autumn 2014 will be A*AA in all subjects - arts, humanities and science"

But it would seem they haven't stuck to this, so some students hoping for an easier time by applying to St Catharines may have had a surprise when their letter arrived.

Thanks - I didn't know that :smile:
A bit naughty for the college to do that if they've given hints otherwise...
Reply 1402
Original post by mjr23
Has anyone's track updated yet? Some of friends now have their offers on UCAS, but mine isn't yet...is everyone in the same boat?

Mine has just come through now! Very glad to see that my letter wasn't a mistake :smile:

People's track are updating at different times, it isn't all done at once - yours should come through fairly soon
Original post by jneill
Thanks - I didn't know that :smile:
A bit naughty for the college to do that if they've given hints otherwise...

I suspect it's a typo, it wouldn't be the first technological error Catz has made during the application cycle, there's normally at least one a year
Reply 1404
Original post by Ferret604
I suspect it's a typo, it wouldn't be the first technological error Catz has made during the application cycle, there's normally at least one a year

They specifically mentioned it at the open day (a way of attracting potential applicants?)
I'm applying for general engineering. Has St Catherines ever asked for a STEP or an admissions test prior or after the interview process?
Original post by Dhalham
I'm applying for general engineering. Has St Catherines ever asked for a STEP or an admissions test prior or after the interview process?

Have you checked their website yet?
http://www.caths.cam.ac.uk/subject/engineering
Original post by vincrows
Have you checked their website yet?
http://www.caths.cam.ac.uk/subject/engineering

Yes although it doesnt tell you much.
Most colleges don't ask for STEP, and as things currently stand Catz don't ask for STEP. From the new website it looks like they may be introducing a test, which I would imagine will be a maths test. Christ's are known to ask for STEP.
Reply 1409
Any postgrad's for Catz?
Hey guys!

I will be applying to Cambridge in October and was just wondering if all of you could tell me the pros/cons of St Catherine's college, Cambridge? And if you could comment on the following?

-Food
-Accomodation - on main site and St Chads
-Atmosphere - friendliest college.. I've heard.. is this true?
-Laundry - are there washing machines in accomodation, do you have to pay? I dont know how it all works!
The main thing that concerns me is the size.. it's really small.. but I've heard good and bad things about that:

Pros: you get to know EVERYONE in college, won't feel lonely, it consequently has a friendly atmosphere
Cons: may feel claustrophobic at times, not much space to clear your head if you're doing an intense course, like medicine, lacks the beautiful grounds that some of the other colleges have

So yeah, if you could add to the point about size too and you guys' opinions on it, I'd be very grateful!

Thank you, and congratz to those who will be studying there!
Oh! and is there anything that the college has that makes it stand out from other colleges? I think it is the only one to have an astroturf, but is that it?

Annie :smile:
Hey, I've just graduated. There are two open days coming up if you want to find out more.

Original post by annie79
Hey guys!

I will be applying to Cambridge in October and was just wondering if all of you could tell me the pros/cons of St Catherine's college, Cambridge? And if you could comment on the following?

-Food
As you'd expect, not michelin star quality but pretty reasonable and if you don't like it you can always cook for yourself. I might be able to find a menu or two (covers a week) if it's that important

-Accomodation - on main site and St Chads
What about it? accommodation is cheaper than a lot of colleges with rooms on a large cost scale representative of quality. Chad's is awesome! Huge rooms, all flats have been recently refurbished and you live in flats with mates

-Atmosphere - friendliest college.. I've heard.. is this true?
Of course!

-Laundry - are there washing machines in accomodation, do you have to pay? I dont know how it all works!
Yes there are (and tumble driers) yes you do have to pay

Really central yet doesn't have the issues with tourists of our neighbour

The main thing that concerns me is the size.. it's really small.. but I've heard good and bad things about that:

Pros: you get to know EVERYONE in college, won't feel lonely, it consequently has a friendly atmosphere
Definitely true

Cons: may feel claustrophobic at times, not much space to clear your head if you're doing an intense course, like medicine, lacks the beautiful grounds that some of the other colleges have
Wouldn't say it's claustrophobic just that gossip spreads fast. Being small also means a good support network of friends

So yeah, if you could add to the point about size too and you guys' opinions on it, I'd be very grateful!

Thank you, and congratz to those who will be studying there!
Oh! and is there anything that the college has that makes it stand out from other colleges? I think it is the only one to have an astroturf, but is that it?
It's the best college? Will that do? Yes it does have an astroturf and we do better at sport than our size would predict

Annie :smile:

Anything else just ask
Original post by Ferret604
Hey, I've just graduated. There are two open days coming up if you want to find out more.

Anything else just ask

Sounds grrr8!!! (no need for the menu, I'll save the food as a surprise :wink: )

It's between Catz and Clare!

I'm going to both open days to make a more informed decision, but thank you! Was so anxious to if the claustrophobic point was true.. :P But yeah, a strong network of friends is deffo important and maybe something highly unlikely in larger colleges, such as John's.

Clare isn't MASSIVE, it's medium sized right?
Original post by annie79
Sounds grrr8!!! (no need for the menu, I'll save the food as a surprise :wink: )

It's between Catz and Clare!

I'm going to both open days to make a more informed decision, but thank you! Was so anxious to if the claustrophobic point was true.. :P But yeah, a strong network of friends is deffo important and maybe something highly unlikely in larger colleges, such as John's.

Clare isn't MASSIVE, it's medium sized right?

Hi, I'm an incoming fresher at Catz :smile:
When I was applying I was torn between Catz and Clare too. What made me choose Catz in the end was that I felt Catz had a more down to earth vibe, and that the people were friendlier; however this was just my experience, you may well find it the other way around yourself!

In terms of size, Clare is maybe slightly larger but I definitely wouldn't say Catz was a particularly small college - others like Peterhouse and Corpus are much smaller.

Both are great colleges with all the most important assets imo - central location, great sports and music facilities, above average accommodation and nice old architecture - maybe the one thing Clare has over Catz is the college gardens and being next to the river, though this does also mean more tourists. It just comes down to personal preference I think :smile: you'd have a great time at either college!
Any interview invitations yet?
Reply 1415
Original post by blksheep
Any interview invitations yet?

I received an interview invitation a few weeks ago. I'm applying for Computer Science and was wondering if anyone had any experience, advice or tips? Absolutely anything would be greatly appreciated.
Any more interview invitations here? I have one for HSPS.
Original post by Revenants
Any more interview invitations here? I have one for HSPS.

I have one for HSPS too. When is yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Already replied in the HSPS thread, I think, but nevermind. Here in St. Catz it's more cosy.

Mine is late one 1st December. I think I read yours is the day before? Funnily, mine was supposed to be on the 30th too, but I got it changed. Well, what I am saying is that you ought to tell me how yours went.
Staying in the college? And who are your interviewers?
Reply 1419
Does anyone know anything about the written test for history? The description is so vague and I can't really find anything about it...I assume it's not subject specific since someone mentioned theirs was about Wikileaks, it's kind of nerve-wracking since I don't know how to prepare (although I guess we're not supposed to??)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending