The Student Room Group

DSA - Worried how all the issues I have will be viewed

Hi.....

I am a mature student who will be starting Uni in October.

I am a little worried about applying for DSA as I have a few issues.

I have Bipolar, periods of anxiety, chronic back and hip pain, only half the hearing I should have in my left ear and a brief screening for dyslexia scored me highly likely.

I am not sure how i am going to be able to declare all this to someone as I get really embarrassed, especially if I am having a good day and it seems like there is nothing wrong with me!

Also, how will they be able to assist me with all thee issues? When I write them all down it just seems like there are so many I do not know why I am bothering to even try to study at Uni level.
They'ev seen it all before. They accept that students do have good and bad days.
Reply 2
I am in the same sort of situation.

The disability rights Uk Website has fact sheets about the sort of adjustmenta that you can get.

I would advise writing down your conditions and how they affect you then look for ideas of how to get around them.
It will all be confidential at uni too, only people who need to know will be told.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They will be able to assist with those issues and they have experience in how to deal with them. Do not worry!
Posted from TSR Mobile
It is far better to declare things in advance than wait until they are actually causing you a problem, or worse, waiting until things reach crisis, particularly when mental health is involved. On TSR and in other places, students often post because they have reached crisis point and can basically no longer cope with university- and sometimes it's clear that if they had sought help before starting the course, they may never have reached that crisis.

A huge range of support will be available, and it is great if you can seek it out while you are mentally and physically ok, rather than reaching the point where you are struggling, and less able to reach out.

I am sure with the appropriate support, you will be successful in studying your degree. If the university did not think you could cope, they wouldn't have offered you the place.
Original post by Beautifully Chaotic
Hi.....

I am a mature student who will be starting Uni in October.

I am a little worried about applying for DSA as I have a few issues.

I have Bipolar, periods of anxiety, chronic back and hip pain, only half the hearing I should have in my left ear and a brief screening for dyslexia scored me highly likely.

I am not sure how i am going to be able to declare all this to someone as I get really embarrassed, especially if I am having a good day and it seems like there is nothing wrong with me!

Also, how will they be able to assist me with all thee issues? When I write them all down it just seems like there are so many I do not know why I am bothering to even try to study at Uni level.

All 4 Unis I applied to accepted me.

I have no doubt you will be accepted if you get the predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest