The Student Room Group

Not making the most of University

Hi everyone,
This is my first time using the site so sorry if this is long-winded etc.

Basically, I started at university in September- I'm really sociable, love going out, meeting new people; find it really easy to meet people and start conversations. The first term I had such a laugh always going out with lots of different people and different groups.

Now I'm in second term, and everyone has separated off into these groups and I'm not really a part of one. I feel so isolated- even though I still go out and have a laugh, I rarely do other university-type things like cooking together, seeing the town (during the day) and I have no 'group' of friends per se.

Back home, I have a nice little group of friends, ,and to be honest, the knowledge that theyre coming to visit soon is the only thing keeping me going.

A lot of my 'friends' last term were guys (I'm a girl), but after getting with/sleeping with a couple of them, their whole groups seems to feel uncomfortable around me which I feel is unfair. I have two good friends who I can basically always chill with and who 'get me' but theyre not friends so were not a group exactly.

I enjoy one half of my course, the other half is a bit of a let down but I can manage it.

I feel so isolated, so depressed- Ive lost so much weight in the last two weeks and, despite my sociable nature, can barely muster the energy to leave my room, let alone go out.

I guess what I'm asking is, would it be stupid to drop out and try university life again somewhere else, or did I just have too high expectations? Just writing this, I feel stupid because I know some people have no friends or hate their course immensely etc. - but it is really getting to me and I don't know if I can spend the rest of university like this.

Sorry so long-winded, but would really appreciate some advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thilly6

A lot of my 'friends' last term were guys (I'm a girl), but after getting with/sleeping with a couple of them, their whole groups seems to feel uncomfortable around me which I feel is unfair. I have two good friends who I can basically always chill with and who 'get me' but theyre not friends so were not a group exactly.

Der is problem.
If this is what you go to Uni for, then you miss the whole point of uni.
Reply 3
1. Theres nothing wrong with getting with someone/having relationships etc. it shouldnt have to interfere with friendships.

2. I dont think theres anything wrong with going to university and wanting to make a group of friends- you have to spend the next 3ish years with these people- you cant just rely on home friends etc.
Reply 4
Original post by A5ko
Der is problem.

Theres nothing wrong with doing this, its how relationships start etc. and its something both parties wanted to do- why should it make me excluded from my friends and not the guy?
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
If this is what you go to Uni for, then you miss the whole point of uni.

Okay, yeh the point of uni is to study and gain a degree- something im finding hard to do without the social aspect. I'm a social person, therefore I need to have the social part of my in order to succeed in other parts of my life. Its how I relax, if I cant relax I cant work.
Original post by thilly6
Okay, yeh the point of uni is to study and gain a degree- something im finding hard to do without the social aspect. I'm a social person, therefore I need to have the social part of my in order to succeed in other parts of my life. Its how I relax, if I cant relax I cant work.

Make friends at societies.

Also what uni do you go to and what course are you doing?
Original post by thilly6
Theres nothing wrong with doing this, its how relationships start etc. and its something both parties wanted to do- why should it make me excluded from my friends and not the guy?

How can u say theres nothing wrong with sleeping with a couple of guys who are in the same group ? Smh :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by chelseafan
Make friends at societies.

Also what uni do you go to and what course are you doing?

I study Geography and id rather not say which uni- its a pretty good uni, not amazing but nice for sure

Im trying out a bunch of societies this term, but isnt second term too late?
Reply 9
Original post by AsandaLFC
How can u say theres nothing wrong with sleeping with a couple of guys who are in the same group ? Smh :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only one guy, but different groups- all im saying is why my fault and not the guys/
Reply 10
Original post by thilly6

Sleeping with your entire group of friends..?

Wow, I must be a true gentleman.
Original post by thilly6
I study Geography and id rather not say which uni- its a pretty good uni, not amazing but nice for sure

Im trying out a bunch of societies this term, but isnt second term too late?

Its not pretty good. As for friends, you have to make the effort.

Talk to people in lectures/seminars. Its not too late for societies. Its always easier due to a common interest.
Reply 12
Its not pretty good. As for friends, you have to make the effort.

Talk to people in lectures/seminars. Its not too late for societies. Its always easier due to a common interest.

what do you mean 'its not pretty good'?
okay well yeh i will join some societies
Original post by thilly6
what do you mean 'its not pretty good'?
okay well yeh i will join some societies

I mean its lower than top 50.
Definitely don't drop out just because of the social aspect that is ridiculous.
You could move and it could be worse and then what? I'm assuming you chose your Uni for a reason so you will have to find ways of making it work for you.

So you've got two friends who 'get you' that's a good start. Can you suggest doing things together?

Also not to sound harsh because that is not my intention but if you need to learn to cope without close friends for a short while. There will probably come a time when you do meet some good friends at uni...and equally you may not. You have to just focus on Uni and the reason why you are there; continue to build up your friendships with the people you do talk to and take it from there.

People need to start learning to be comfortable with their own company and not relying on other people to make them feel 'complete'. Don't let your social life ruin you like this!

Try and find positives to make you feel better...did you do really well on an assignment? Are you proud of yourself for that? How can you improve next time? Try and occupy your time with other things and hopefully you won't feel so sad.
Reply 15
I mean its lower than top 50.

Its in the top 20
Reply 16
Original post by MaseratiJay
Definitely don't drop out just because of the social aspect that is ridiculous.
You could move and it could be worse and then what? I'm assuming you chose your Uni for a reason so you will have to find ways of making it work for you.

So you've got two friends who 'get you' that's a good start. Can you suggest doing things together?

Also not to sound harsh because that is not my intention but if you need to learn to cope without close friends for a short while. There will probably come a time when you do meet some good friends at uni...and equally you may not. You have to just focus on Uni and the reason why you are there; continue to build up your friendships with the people you do talk to and take it from there.

People need to start learning to be comfortable with their own company and not relying on other people to make them feel 'complete'. Don't let your social life ruin you like this!

Try and find positives to make you feel better...did you do really well on an assignment? Are you proud of yourself for that? How can you improve next time? Try and occupy your time with other things and hopefully you won't feel so sad.

thanks so much for this- i just needed someone to be blunt me i think. i am over - thinking it a bit but it is getting to me everday and affecting my health.
as to the bit in bold- i totally agree with this but i just dont know how. i love being around people, even if were not talking or anything- it really relaxes me and i get pretty anxious/tense if left on my own. this has been the case all my life and i cant just change overnight- any advice?
Original post by thilly6
thanks so much for this- i just needed someone to be blunt me i think. i am over - thinking it a bit but it is getting to me everday and affecting my health.
as to the bit in bold- i totally agree with this but i just dont know how. i love being around people, even if were not talking or anything- it really relaxes me and i get pretty anxious/tense if left on my own. this has been the case all my life and i cant just change overnight- any advice?

I am opposite in the fact that I could be left alone for a year or more with no friends and I'd be okay and I've pretty much always been like that so I am not sure...

Maybe if you start by giving yourself some 'me-time'? like spend a portion of each day on your own and take it from there? Don't do too much at once though because some [as you've mentioned, you do it as well] can get anxious when left alone so don't spend too much time with yourself at first because it may just be too much of a shock to your system and make you feel worse.
University is not a place for fun and games. Its a place to be focused and studying to get a degree. If people are doing it for other things then they shouldn't be wasting £9000 a year.
I was in a similar situation in 1st term and so my biggest tip would be to be proactive. Ask course mates to do things - go watch a film - go for cocktails/bowling etc. Join societies and clubs and introduce your friends to each other if you think they'll get on. It isn't the end of the world not to have a group tbh I have loads of friends in totally different friendship groups. Me and my best uni friend aren't part of any specific 'group' atm but I guess we have our housemates group for next year. But anyway just be proactive - ask people to do stuff - they won't think it's weird - they'll think its flattering/nice/cool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending