The Student Room Group
University of York
York
johncleaner
I've recently been thinking that I might want to take a gap year, even though I've already accepted york as my firm. Is it too late? Do you think they would mind me deferring my entry by a year this late? I would ask them, but I only want to find out informally as I am not decided yet!

no, they wouldn't have a problem with that i'm sure, as long as you do something constructive with your gap year. Just tell them as soon as you have decided so they can offer your place for this year to someone else.
:smile:
What are you thinking of doing in your gap year?
What have you got the place for at york?
University of York
York
Reply 2
ruthiepoothie
no, they wouldn't have a problem with that i'm sure, as long as you do something constructive with your gap year. Just tell them as soon as you have decided so they can offer your place for this year to someone else.

yeh they dont mind defferred entrys because its you they want - why not get a tutor or parent to ring up for u and just ask generally what their policy on deferrals is
Reply 3
ruthiepoothie

Wow - I had no idea that they woulnd't mind. I was expecting it to be quite difficult.

My place at York is to study Maths. I just think I need a break from all the studying because all the work I'm doing at school is driving me insane! I would spend my gap year travelling around Canda, then hopefully get some kind of maths job whilst out there. But then again I'm not sure that if I have a gap year I will be bothered to do a degree when I come back! I really can't decide.
Reply 4
charlord
yeh they dont mind defferred entrys because its you they want - why not get a tutor or parent to ring up for u and just ask generally what their policy on deferrals is

Thats good idea - The amount of times i've emailed york asking them questions is a bit ridiculous...I'm sure they must have a big poster of me in the admissions office with darts through my head!
Reply 5
johncleaner
Thats good idea - The amount of times i've emailed york asking them questions is a bit ridiculous...I'm sure they must have a big poster of me in the admissions office with darts through my head!

lol i know what you mean. i ended up just getting my tutor to sort out questions for me in the end with universities I seemed to stop getting any help from them
Reply 6
johncleaner
Wow - I had no idea that they woulnd't mind. I was expecting it to be quite difficult.

My place at York is to study Maths. I just think I need a break from all the studying because all the work I'm doing at school is driving me insane! I would spend my gap year travelling around Canda, then hopefully get some kind of maths job whilst out there. But then again I'm not sure that if I have a gap year I will be bothered to do a degree when I come back! I really can't decide.

You will have a problem deffering for Maths. Many universitys tend to think you lose too much maths skill by not doing it got a year. With other degrees its like a fresh start, a whole new syllabus - however, this is not the case with Maths. Just ring up and ask them yourself, they can't take your offer away!!
Reply 7
corey
You will have a problem deffering for Maths. Many universitys tend to think you lose too much maths skill by not doing it got a year. With other degrees its like a fresh start, a whole new syllabus - however, this is not the case with Maths. Just ring up and ask them yourself, they can't take your offer away!!

yeh thats true - anyway, i doubt that if they hav made you an offer once they won't offer it second time round... you still want to go there, you just want to get a little life experience
Reply 8
corey

are you going to York?
Reply 9
hi does anyone know exactly when u get accomadation info if ur deferring?
im going away this summer so and wont b here to sort anything out anyway!!
Reply 10
nali
hi does anyone know exactly when u get accomadation info if ur deferring?
im going away this summer so and wont b here to sort anything out anyway!!

I would expect that youll get it in July or June of the year you deferred
Reply 11
That's what I'm doing if I get all As, taking a gap year.

You are allowed to do that, you just have to withdraw from the UCAS scheme after results day and don't accept your firm offer. Then apply again next year.
Reply 12
They sent me a letter asking me if I wanted to defer, saying that if I did that would probably be fine, as long as I told them by August.
It did seem like they thought I'd taken them as my firm though (they're my insurance) so they might think everyone who's taken them as insurance is coming, which would be way too many people...

Latest