The Student Room Group

reaction of benzyl chloride and aqueous NAOH

I was told that benzylchloride doesnt react with hot aqueous NAOH. But , there's one reaction (production of alcohol called DOW process) , in which the benzyl chloride react with NAOH to form C6H5ONa.
I am confused now,. Which is true??
Original post by wilson dang
I was told that benzylchloride doesnt react with hot aqueous NAOH. But , there's one reaction (production of alcohol called DOW process) , in which the benzyl chloride react with NAOH to form C6H5ONa.
I am confused now,. Which is true??

Isn't that phenol and naoh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I don't know where you got your info from - benzyl chloride does react with aqueous NaOH to give benzyl alcohol.

The other reaction you mention isn't reasonable since somehow a C to C bond would have to be broken
Reply 3
So the Reaction of benzyl chloride and naoh is feasible??
Original post by wilson dang
So the Reaction of benzyl chloride and naoh is feasible??

Yes! Might not be as quick as, say, chloroethane but it's perfectly feasible.
Reply 5
Original post by KombatWombat
Yes! Might not be as quick as, say, chloroethane but it's perfectly feasible.

Ok, thanks!:biggrin:
Out of chlorobenzene and benzyl chloride which one gets easily hydrolysed by aq NaOH?
Original post by Rithik808
Out of chlorobenzene and benzyl chloride which one gets easily hydrolysed by aq NaOH?

Chlorobenzene won't react with OH- because the delocalised electrons will repel the hydroxide ion so nucleophilic substitution can't occur, which is understandable as the chlorine atom is bonded to the C which as the delocalised pi system.

Benzyl chloride will however undergo the nucleophilic substitution reaction with OH- to produce benzyl alcohol.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest