The Student Room Group

Does a muscular body matter on men?

Clarification: I'm not talking body-builder style muscle mass, more like footballer or perhaps model.

Do people prefer those with more muscular bodies or those who look simlar under clothing, but have a more "normal" body, with and average amount of body fat etc.

Scroll to see replies

I think it matters as much to women as women having big breasts and a butt with a small waist does to us.
They're both ideals presented by the media, but some girls aren't attracted to the male ideal for the same reason I'm not very attracted to the Pamela Andersons of society.
Reply 2
Original post by Alaric III
I think it matters as much to women as women having big breasts and a butt with a small waist does to us.

No, studies consistently find that men put more weight on physical attractiveness, while women put more weight on factors relating to social status

eg http://qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/121/2/673.short
I love footballer's bodies but I can appreciate an average body as well, especially if...he's not a footballer? Really, when women look at a fit man, they think:

healthy kids
good sex
good public impression of me with him
protection.

But you can have those ^^ without a muscular man, and you can have a muscular man without those.
Doesn't bother me
I don't think it ever hurt anyone to look fit/muscular, you look better and feel better about yourself. Being slightly more muscular probably means your more healthy which in the long run will be good for you. It should be more about how you feel comfortable looking though!!
It matters for males and females. I dislike how it's the epitome of awesome to merely not be unhealthy as a female, whereas the epitome of a male body must be actively healthy in every possible way. This isn't good for female health.
Original post by poohat
No, studies consistently find that men put more weight on physical attractiveness, while women put more weight on factors relating to social status

eg http://qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/121/2/673.short

It's hardly the only factor men look for in women though - but I suppose my own personal bias came through.
Original post by kaiwid23
Clarification: I'm not talking body-builder style muscle mass, more like footballer or perhaps model.

Do people prefer those with more muscular bodies or those who look simlar under clothing, but have a more "normal" body, with and average amount of body fat etc.

Some girls are really into muscles, but a lot of them don't care at all.
No, not bother either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

it's all personal preference, im a skinny guy, my girlfriend is a model and she hates muscly guys and prefers skinny guys with beard and tattoos so lucky me aha
Original post by TorpidPhil
It matters for males and females. I dislike how it's the epitome of awesome to merely not be unhealthy as a female, whereas the epitome of a male body must be actively healthy in every possible way. This isn't good for female health.

I don't understand what you're trying to say about women? That we're all unhealthy?

It doesn't matter to me.
Original post by Alaric III
They're both ideals presented by the media, but some girls aren't attracted to the male ideal for the same reason I'm not very attracted to the Pamela Andersons of society.

I think that might actually be a turn off for me. I know, i said it! Its true though.

For me its all about the LEGS!
Original post by PillsIV
I think that might actually be a turn off for me. I know, i said it! Its true though.

For me its all about the LEGS!

I agree with you, I don't like the extremely curvaceous physique.
facial aesthetics is everything
i love legs that have fat on them making them shapely but muscle underneath shaping that fat. Sounds uiltra fussy but lots of girls have this.
Original post by howitoughttobe
I don't understand what you're trying to say about women? That we're all unhealthy?

Obviously not.

What I'm actually saying is that the average woman's concept of a "perfect female body" is far from what is objectively "perfect" for one's health.

A hell of a lot of females think the perfect female body is one which is very low, or just low in fat. That is not true. Instead, one wants to be aiming for low in fat AND high in muscle.

The low in fat and high in muscle just so happens to be the typical idea of a "perfect male body" that comes into the minds of males in society.

I think these conceptions of anorexic models being the perfect body type is really damaging for female's physical and mental health and I wish they would stop it.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Obviously not.

What I'm actually saying is that the average woman's concept of a "perfect female body" is far from what is objectively "perfect" for one's health.

A hell of a lot of females think the perfect female body is one which is very low, or just low in fat. That is not true. Instead, one wants to be aiming for low in fat AND high in muscle.

The low in fat and high in muscle just so happens to be the typical idea of a "perfect male body" that comes into the minds of males in society.

I think these conceptions of anorexic models being the perfect body type is really damaging for female's physical and mental health and I wish they would stop it.

Ok yeah that makes sense. The stereotype of a perfect female body is definitely not healthy. And somehow we're expected to be stick thin and have massive boobs and bum? Which is naturally very hard to do because bigger boobs and bum generally means fatter unless it's faked. But anyway this thread isn't about women's bodies and personally I like men with nicely toned bodies but so long as they're not overweight I probably wouldn't judge exclusively on that.
Reply 19
Stay lean and you'll be fine, I've got a very good body for someone who really pays little attention to it, but I owe that to good motabolsm, which I'll presumably lose at some point lol :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending