The Student Room Group

Suffering from skin condition, affecting uni

I have an unknown skin condition at the moment, it gives me quite a lot of pain each day, I have numerous flare ups throughout the day whilst at university, at home etc. I have tried covering it up with makeup but it doesn't work. I'm on heavy steroid medication at the moment which really messes with my moods, makes me drowsy and things, but the steroids aren't effective anymore so I have no medication to take. I have seen 3-4 doctors and they have no idea what my issue is, I have also seen a dermatologist but they don't know what it is. It's making me quite depressed because even now I was just trying to study and got a random massive flare up across my face, it tends to make my whole face red, burning, swollen and itchy. Some days I even wake up with swollen eyelids.

I really don't know what to do. Nobody knows what it is, my doctor has banned me from taking any more steroid tablets so nothing works. I'm feeling so miserable and depressed all the time that I just feel like feeling sorry for myself and not studying. What can I do?
Reply 1
The condition only got worse this year, it happened occasionally when I was in high school, I went to the doctors numerous times who just told me it was natural and nothing serious.. until it came back much worse years later.
Original post by Anonymous
I have an unknown skin condition at the moment, it gives me quite a lot of pain each day, I have numerous flare ups throughout the day whilst at university, at home etc. I have tried covering it up with makeup but it doesn't work. I'm on heavy steroid medication at the moment which really messes with my moods, makes me drowsy and things, but the steroids aren't effective anymore so I have no medication to take. I have seen 3-4 doctors and they have no idea what my issue is, I have also seen a dermatologist but they don't know what it is. It's making me quite depressed because even now I was just trying to study and got a random massive flare up across my face, it tends to make my whole face red, burning, swollen and itchy. Some days I even wake up with swollen eyelids.

I really don't know what to do. Nobody knows what it is, my doctor has banned me from taking any more steroid tablets so nothing works. I'm feeling so miserable and depressed all the time that I just feel like feeling sorry for myself and not studying. What can I do?

One of my family members was suffering from similar symptoms, which was then diagnosed in the end.
If your skin reacts like this due to sunlight, it may be the same condition.

It could be an allergy instead. Or it might be due to a poot diet?

I wouldn't worry so much about studying if you are in a lot of pain. Just try to cheer up.
Reply 3
One of my family members was suffering from similar symptoms, which was then diagnosed in the end.
If your skin reacts like this due to sunlight, it may be the same condition.

It could be an allergy instead. Or it might be due to a poot diet?

I wouldn't worry so much about studying if you are in a lot of pain. Just try to cheer up.

Thank you for responding. I think I'm just going to focus all my energy into my uni work because it takes my mind off the situation and it's more productive than moping around the house, feeling depressed. My doctor did blood tests on me but they came back clear, and my GP told me that the skin condition doesn't look like an allergy but something else altogether. My diet is quite good, I rarely eat junk food.. in fact I don't eat that much in general, I drink about 2 litres of water a day, eat lots of fruit/veg, I take multivitamins.. just been doing everything I can for months now in hopes that it'll help, but it doesn't.

I have hyperpigmentation for years due to injury I tried everything you name it ive tried it. It has a mind of its own and flares up red and itchy.. i bought a smal bottle of vitamin e oil and to my surprise its done it some good. Do you moistuerize?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending