The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

What are my chances?

Hi all, I will try to keep this as short as possible. I am 17, currently at college studying BTEC level 2 in IT and will be doing level 3 for 2 more years. I have been looking at universities out of interest and found that UCL is one of the only ones to do the course I want to study on (comp science with cyber security). I recently returned from Spain with no qualifications at the age of 16 (I moved there when I was 10), since then I have obtained functional skills in English and maths at level 2 (equivalent to a GCSE grade C for each).

I see that in order to apply for the course I am aiming for I need a BTEC national (level 3, 2 years) at DDD. I believe this will be no problem for me, I am currently sitting at all Distinctions on Level 2 without trying too hard. One thing I am concerned about however is the fact I lack any GCSE's, luckily my BTEC level 2 will be worth 5 GCSE's, equivalent to at least an A for each. I will then do my level 3 and apply, but was wondering if the university will reject me based on the fact I have no 'original' GCSE's, also are they biased as to what qualifications you have compared to others (are they likely to take someone with 8 GCSE's and A levels rather than someone like me?). One more question, do universities take unofficial qualifications in to account? Such as a certification from Microsoft (I am currently scheduled for the Microsoft software development fundamentals exam).

I realise I may be looking a bit too far ahead, but I like to have a clear plan ahead of me ^.^, any advice/info is greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
There are loads of unis who do computer security related degrees:
Royal Holloway
Cardiff
Bournemouth
Gloucestershire
Northumbria
Uwe
Newcastle
Portsmouth
City uni London

Also consider in your search: Network security, Forensic computing, information security, cyber security management or security and ethical hacking

All will be similar in content
(edited 9 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Wow, I should have looked more in depth; thanks. I'd still like any advice on my original question however, UCL is also close to home (an hour on the train) so it would be my main choice anyhow.
Reply 3
Hmm I don't think a lower ranked university would care too nuch, however UCL would probably want to see a high grade in maths GCSE, it might be worth taking it next year

Also I juat looked at the UCL website and they don't actually offer comp sci with cyber security and for their general comp sci course they require A level Maths
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
Hmm I don't think a lower ranked university would care too nuch, however UCL would probably want to see a high grade in maths GCSE, it might be worth taking it next year

Also I juat looked at the UCL website and they don't actually offer comp sci with cyber security and for their general comp sci course they require A level Maths

Yeah, I am currently taking my maths GCSE alongside my BTEC; I have just decided will not even apply until I get a B minimum. Being the idiot I am I got UCL mixed up with city university, making this whole question irrelevant xD, may be off topic but what is city university like? I may just do comp sci by itself if I can get into UCL and city university is not as good; I can't even find it on some rankings online.
Reply 5
Original post by Sicarius_
Yeah, I am currently taking my maths GCSE alongside my BTEC; I have just decided will not even apply until I get a B minimum. Being the idiot I am I got UCL mixed up with city university, making this whole question irrelevant xD, may be off topic but what is city university like? I may just do comp sci by itself if I can get into UCL and city university is not as good; I can't even find it on some rankings online.

Fair enough, yeah I think a B in GCSE was part of my offer for Royal Holloway plus DDD in the IT Extended diploma, I'm not to sure what city is like I never went to the open day, if you wanted to apply to UCL you would need an A level in Maths at a high grade however they offer a course called 'Information Management' which by looking at the course content its basically a mix between comp sci and business and you don't need Maths at A level, I think the requirements are DDD for BTEC Extended
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
Fair enough, yeah I think a B in GCSE was part of my offer for Royal Holloway plus DDD in the IT Extended diploma, I'm not to sure what city is like I never went to the open day, if you wanted to apply to UCL you would need an A level in Maths at a high grade however they offer a course called 'Information Management' which by looking at the course content its basically a mix between comp sci and business and you don't need Maths at A level, I think the requirements are DDD for BTEC Extended

Hmmm. Royal Holloway does look good too. If UCL want a maths A level I may even do that after my L3 BTEC; not as if it won't come in handy even if they don't accept me. I have some buckling down to do I think, looks like my tutor was wrong in saying that the L3 would get me to any university; bloody college tutors.
Reply 7
Original post by Sicarius_
Hmmm. Royal Holloway does look good too. If UCL want a maths A level I may even do that after my L3 BTEC; not as if it won't come in handy even if they don't accept me. I have some buckling down to do I think, looks like my tutor was wrong in saying that the L3 would get me to any university; bloody college tutors.

it will get you into most unis for CompSci, its only like the top 10-15 that want Maths A level because of the high maths content, dont stress out about it, you can still get into a top uni, for example Birmingham are 7th for CompSci and they dont require Maths A level, their offer is D*D*D*/D*D*D (inc Unit 26).

But if you wanted to be in/close to London you could consider: UCL (for Info Mgmt), Kings College London, City, Royal Holloway, Brunel, Queen Mary, Reading or Surrey (which arent too far away).

for higher unis in/close to London:
Imperial: dont accept
Oxford: DDD + A* in Maths
UCL: dont accept on its own for CompSci (might be worth checking if they accept in conjunction with Maths)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending