The Student Room Group

Politics Unit 3c and 4c paper June 2014

Did anyone do this unit last ear and remember any of the questions that came up? I'm in desperate need of them. Thanks in advance!!!

Scroll to see replies

I only have questions for 3C

The 15 markers:

1. To what extent are different groups of minority voters concerned about the same political issues?

2. Why has the role of professional lobbyists been controversial?

3. To what extent do initiatives and propositions promote democracy?

4. Explain the main ideas and policies of the Republican Party?

5. Why are congressional elections so uncompetitive?

The 45 markers:

6. To what extent are pressure groups now more important than political parties in US politics?

7. 'Race has ceased to be a significant issue in US politics.' Discuss

8. To what extent has the Obama administration departed from traditional Democratic values and policies?
Reply 2
Original post by Bonnie and Clyde
I only have questions for 3C

The 15 markers:

1. To what extent are different groups of minority voters concerned about the same political issues?

2. Why has the role of professional lobbyists been controversial?

3. To what extent do initiatives and propositions promote democracy?

4. Explain the main ideas and policies of the Republican Party?

5. Why are congressional elections so uncompetitive?

The 45 markers:

6. To what extent are pressure groups now more important than political parties in US politics?

7. 'Race has ceased to be a significant issue in US politics.' Discuss

8. To what extent has the Obama administration departed from traditional Democratic values and policies?

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
For anyone doing 4C I want to miss out congress and do the other 3 because it is by far the longest and takes up 40% of the whole unit! Is this a good game to play for this exam.... Thoughts?
Original post by Jcoe
For anyone doing 4C I want to miss out congress and do the other 3 because it is by far the longest and takes up 40% of the whole unit! Is this a good game to play for this exam.... Thoughts?

I was advised not to do that, last year you could learn 3 out of the 4 topics and getaway with it but this year the paper structured a little bit differently and getting away with that isn't so easy here. I only learnt 2 topics for each unit last year (Democracy + elections and PM + Parliament) and was lucky to come out with an A, but I'm not going to gamble with like that this year, I don't advise you doing so either. Congress sure as hell is long but it's easy too, there's only a limited number of questions they can ask you such as to what extent does Congress have a meaningful role in foreign policy or to what extent is Congress the broken branch. Literally, the vast majority of questions repeat themselves each year and are just re-worded differently.

The way I'm revising for this is by creating plans for every singe possible 45 mark questions (and 15 markers) that can come up and then revising from that, did it last year and it worked, looking at past papers over the years, it could work this year.
Reply 5
Original post by Bonnie and Clyde
I was advised not to do that, last year you could learn 3 out of the 4 topics and getaway with it but this year the paper structured a little bit differently and getting away with that isn't so easy here. I only learnt 2 topics for each unit last year (Democracy + elections and PM + Parliament) and was lucky to come out with an A, but I'm not going to gamble with like that this year, I don't advise you doing so either. Congress sure as hell is long but it's easy too, there's only a limited number of questions they can ask you such as to what extent does Congress have a meaningful role in foreign policy or to what extent is Congress the broken branch. Literally, the vast majority of questions repeat themselves each year and are just re-worded differently.

The way I'm revising for this is by creating plans for every singe possible 45 mark questions (and 15 markers) that can come up and then revising from that, did it last year and it worked, looking at past papers over the years, it could work this year.

I hear you but congresses long e.g 4x longer than supreme and the links are covered in presidency with 'relationship to congress'
Reply 6
Original post by Jcoe
I hear you but congresses long e.g 4x longer than supreme and the links are covered in presidency with 'relationship to congress'

Hey does anyone having any revision stuff on race and ethnic politics? I really like the topic but my teacher is rubbish and completely missed out all the stuff on civil rights and immigration? Be so grateful! Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Jenny1997
Hey does anyone having any revision stuff on race and ethnic politics? I really like the topic but my teacher is rubbish and completely missed out all the stuff on civil rights and immigration? Be so grateful! Thank you!

Hi there, I agree it's a nice topic to do a 15 or 45 marker on, loads of points to use.
I have attached an email i recieved off of my teacher i hope it is of use to you.
Some of the points about the supreme court cases and the 14th amendement link nicely to questions in 4C about the supreme court being an imperial branch of Govt making an act unconstitutional - Brown v Board of Education reversing Plessy v Ferguson or a question on the constitution being flexible or unflexible to changing social times- as it states in the powerpoint the civil rights movement served as an example for other groups civil rights advancement - think the National organization for women and how they pushed for equal rights for women under the law- passed by both house of congress over two-thirds majority , but fell short of that majority needed by the state legislatures - an example of the inflexibilty of the codified constitution they have.
The power point also covers Affirmative action which i think is likely to come on a possible 45 marker, I obviously don't know if you have covered that but if you need more information on that just ask.
The power point does not really cover immigration that much- I HIGHLY recommend that you buy yourself Edexcel Gov and politics UNIT 3 +4C, i bought mine on amazon they helped me a lot last year in AS and this year- they include examples on immigration such as Bush's 'guest worker' scheme in 2004 and up to date examples of Obama's administration and their lack of action taken on sanctuary cities.
Good luck in the exam, I hope that's useful to you.
Reply 8
Original post by Foxy123
Hi there, I agree it's a nice topic to do a 15 or 45 marker on, loads of points to use.
I have attached an email i recieved off of my teacher i hope it is of use to you.
Some of the points about the supreme court cases and the 14th amendement link nicely to questions in 4C about the supreme court being an imperial branch of Govt making an act unconstitutional - Brown v Board of Education reversing Plessy v Ferguson or a question on the constitution being flexible or unflexible to changing social times- as it states in the powerpoint the civil rights movement served as an example for other groups civil rights advancement - think the National organization for women and how they pushed for equal rights for women under the law- passed by both house of congress over two-thirds majority , but fell short of that majority needed by the state legislatures - an example of the inflexibilty of the codified constitution they have.
The power point also covers Affirmative action which i think is likely to come on a possible 45 marker, I obviously don't know if you have covered that but if you need more information on that just ask.
The power point does not really cover immigration that much- I HIGHLY recommend that you buy yourself Edexcel Gov and politics UNIT 3 +4C, i bought mine on amazon they helped me a lot last year in AS and this year- they include examples on immigration such as Bush's 'guest worker' scheme in 2004 and up to date examples of Obama's administration and their lack of action taken on sanctuary cities.
Good luck in the exam, I hope that's useful to you.

Yeah that's really great thank you! No she missed out pretty much the whole topic and she has not given us any examples! So annoying! So thank you so much:smile:
Reply 9
Yeah that's really great thank you! No she missed out pretty much the whole topic and she has not given us any examples! So annoying! So thank you so much:smile:

You are welcome :smile: , if you need any other information or up to date examples that are not on that power point just ask, Are you planning on doing politics in Uni ?
Do the Edexcel revision guides cover all the content? I was predicted an A* but have become really complacent with politics and haven't really touched it recently, so trying to find a short cut (if there is one) to cover all the content that we need to, as well as some essay practice :frown:
Original post by Foxy123
You are welcome :smile: , if you need any other information or up to date examples that are not on that power point just ask, Are you planning on doing politics in Uni ?

Thanks you! Do you have any of the factions/examples in each party? I'm no sure yet I'm taking a year out you?
Reply 12
Thanks you! Do you have any of the factions/examples in each party? I'm no sure yet I'm taking a year out you?

Democrats -Voter bloc of Democrats Blue collar Bloc - These are the conservative right faction of the democrats , more republican in the sense that they want limited immigration, more religious and socially conservative.In theory they should be more democratic make less than $30,000 per year, but have blamed Govt neglect and Govt greed; Obama helped the banks rather than the 'littleguy'.They believe in Reducing taxes, freedom of the right to bear arms, believe in Christian valuesThey have achieved considerable success in watering down the 2010 Healthcare Act, through securing withdrawal of proposals for a Govt public insurance option and by obtaining a commitment from Obama to introduce an executive order- Can be brought into Presidency in Unit 4 as a tool the president has as part of his power to persuade- this executive order banned federal funding for abortions in return for their support.individuals within this faction are-Georgia representative John Barrow who is the leading member of the Blue Dog coalition. He was one of the 34 representatives who voted against the 2010 HealthcareAct, strong advocate against gun control, having achieved an endorsement by the NRA in his 2012 senate race.However withthe retirement of it's most conservative members such as Ben Nelson of Nebraska shows the lessening degree of influence within the party.Moderate Democrats - Bill Clinton - Under Clinton the moderates adopted a more pragmatic approach to policy development, which attempted to appeal to Conservative heartland of America and the more progressive elements of society.another example of a moderate is Hillary Clinton former secretary who is positioningherself for a presidency run in 2016, she will need to adopt this moreprogressive element in terms of women's rights as in her 2008 run she was not seen to endorse advancement of women's equality enough.Barack obamais seen to be more left wing of the party Liberal activists- endorsed Liberalism- Healthcare Act- Bailout /stimulus package costing $800 billion- Wallstreet regulation- 2012 Taxincrease for the very rich, Gun control advocate - especially after the Sandy Hook massacre.- advocatefor rights of women , supports abortion rights example reversed 'Mexico city'policy , rights for gays and lesbians supported same sex marriage and repeal of'Don't ask, Don't tell', minority rights- fair sentencing Act reducing disparity between sentences for crack and powder cocaine.However, hehas been seen to go against Democrat values- Airstrikes on Libya in 2011- Mass NSA surveillanceprogramme revealed by Edward Snowdon.* Looking ahead to 2016 Bernie Sanders is of this faction and is running for president. Republican party Fiscal conservatives Advocate free- market economics , a minimalist Govt approach tothe economy and a balanced federal budget, promote a programme of reducing bothbusiness and personal taxation, moderating the regulation of businesses andcutting Govt expenditure. The influence of this faction within the party hasbeen evidenced by the rise of the tea party caucus.Leading members are for example Texan Representative Ron Paul, the influential Republican with Libertarian views.His son Rand Paul who is to run in 2016 - proposed a bill to cut $500 billion from thefederal budget on his first day in senate.Social Conservatives Referred to as the 'religious right', this faction encompasses a range of Christian political groups which advocate deeply conservative social policies, including opposition to abortion, same-sex- marriage and stem cell research.Leading members - House speaker John Boehner who claimed the No taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, part of the Republican 'pledge to America' passed by the house in 2011.There is asplit in the tea party caucus http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/22/nebraska-death-penalty-conservative-movement a nice up todate example of the pro- life Social conservatives conflicting with fiscal conservatives.Then there is the moderate conservatives much like the blue dog bloc.The republican moderates tend to adopt less conservative views towards many aspectsof social and fiscal policy. This faction has become known as the main street partnership, because of its more moderate and centrist views. Like the blue dog they have declined over the years as the parties have become more ideologically divided.Best evidenced by the fact the last two presidential candidates , despite seen aspreviously moderate individuals , were forced to adopt more conservative positions in order to secure the party's nomination.Main members include- Maine senator Susan Collins who has given a degree of support to both legalised abortions and gay rights. She was one of only eight republican senators to votein favour of the repeal of the 'Don't Ask, Don't tell' policy.
And yeah i am hoping to go to Chester Uni Hope this is useful. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by baffledchick
Do the Edexcel revision guides cover all the content? I was predicted an A* but have become really complacent with politics and haven't really touched it recently, so trying to find a short cut (if there is one) to cover all the content that we need to, as well as some essay practice :frown:

They cover each topic in a lot of detail, with examples as up to date as 2013, to get more up to date than this you would need to purchase the Edexcel up dated version which is only as up to date as 2014 or Bennetts annual up date 2015.
I really would not worry too much, there is time to do revision between now and the exam, although sadly there is no 'short cut' exactly, the edexcel books cut out a lot of detail you do not need, and there are exam examples of responses at the back of the book.
I can give you 2013 past papers if you need? on 3C and 4C.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foxy123
They cover each topic in a lot of detail, with examples as up to date as 2013, to get more up to date than this you would need to purchase the Edexcel up dated version which is only as up to date as 2014 or Bennetts annual up date 2015.
I really would not worry too much, there is time to do revision between now and the exam, although sadly there is no 'short cut' exactly, the edexcel books cut out a lot of detail you do not need, and there are exam examples of responses at the back of the book.
I can give you 2013 past papers if you need? on 3C and 4C.

Thanks for your response. So in your opinion the Edexcel revision guides cover everything we need to know? I think I've ordered the Bennets 2015 book too! Do you think I could get away with revising 3/4 topics for each unit? Are they available on the Edexcel website? If not, please do :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by baffledchick
Thanks for your response. So in your opinion the Edexcel revision guides cover everything we need to know? I think I've ordered the Bennets 2015 book too! Do you think I could get away with revising 3/4 topics for each unit? Are they available on the Edexcel website? If not, please do :smile:

Yes they cover everything, Bennets book will be good for examples on the 2014 mid terms.
If i am honest i am going to be take my chances and for 3C revise Elections, Race + partys in full and leave out pressure groups, leave one that you are least good at, because there are 5 questions and you pick 3 in the first section, so there is a good chance there will be at least 3 questions on the topics you have revised, then on the last section the 45 markers there are three pick one and you will be fine to miss pressure groups here as well. In 4C I think revising three and because congress is so long you can just revise the 15 markers that could come up in it, but here you could miss out congress completely, the presidency links to congress a lot, so revise president, judicary which is nice to revise and constitution. Yes you can get the past papers on the website.
Good luck, if you need any other help just ask!
Original post by Foxy123
Yes they cover everything, Bennets book will be good for examples on the 2014 mid terms.
If i am honest i am going to be take my chances and for 3C revise Elections, Race + partys in full and leave out pressure groups, leave one that you are least good at, because there are 5 questions and you pick 3 in the first section, so there is a good chance there will be at least 3 questions on the topics you have revised, then on the last section the 45 markers there are three pick one and you will be fine to miss pressure groups here as well. In 4C I think revising three and because congress is so long you can just revise the 15 markers that could come up in it, but here you could miss out congress completely, the presidency links to congress a lot, so revise president, judicary which is nice to revise and constitution. Yes you can get the past papers on the website.
Good luck, if you need any other help just ask!

Thank you so much for your response, I was worried I was the only one thinking to do this. For every past paper we would've been fine, except for last year only 3 topics came up in the 15 markers, so if we had missed one of them we would have botched one 15 marker. I think I am going to revise the same topics as you, Elections is looking likely to come up as it hasn't for a few years as a 45 marker, and race also looks likely. Thanks for the advice, I hope this pays of for both of us. I will stick to the Edexcel mini revision guides along with the Bennets notes and hopefully be done within a week. Best of luck :smile:
Here's a list of past paper questions sorted by topic for 3C and 4C, hope this is helpful to people!
Has anybody by any chance got a all the U4 past essay questions along with their mark schemes?

I've planed every unit 3 essay by hand but don't have the time to do it for unit 4 too, so a document like this would be very useful!
Guys I'm literally pulling my hair out on Political Parties. My textbook hardly covers anything that's covers questions that actually come up.. and when i look like exemplar answers i don't understand how people know that much stuff :frown: so scared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending