The Student Room Group

Politics Unit 3c and 4c paper June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baffledchick
awww soorry, I must have proper scared you! Are you aiming for an A*? Any tips? Okay that's a relaxing thought

Yeah I am aiming for an A*, umm i think the only tips are knowing as many examples as possible for each point
Original post by Michalia
Yeah I am aiming for an A*, umm i think the only tips are knowing as many examples as possible for each point

I hope you achieve it :smile: do you think I could leave out one of the topics and just revise three rather than four? I sort of underestimated the content and became a bit complacent but really need the A*.
Original post by mserwaah123
You guys seem to know what you're doing so could someone help me or please? Last year I got 153/200 UMS marks combined (76/100 in unit 1 and 77/100 in unit 2) so overall I got a B. Can someone tell me 1) how high or low this B is? 2) how many points I was off an A and 3) how many raw marks I need to get to achieve an A overall. Thank you so much in advance

definitely needed 160 for an A and 140 for a B at AS so you were nearer an A than a C :smile:
you need 320 ums overall AS/A2 to get an A overall so you'd need to get mid/high As in both papers which would be like at least 66/90 in both
I hope you achieve it :smile: do you think I could leave out one of the topics and just revise three rather than four? I sort of underestimated the content and became a bit complacent but really need the A*.

I think it sounds risky but If you have good knowledge of American politics in general though I'd recommend to leave out political parties
have you only just started studying? :O

Thanks you too ! don't leave out any topics, i'll say the one you dont like do it briefly but dont leave it out of your revision completely
Original post by lachachacha
I think it sounds risky but If you have good knowledge of American politics in general though I'd recommend to leave out political parties
have you only just started studying? :O

Yeah literally :frown: I'm really risking missing out on the grade, I can get the A because I have high UMS at AS, but I don't know if I've left it too late :frown:
I'm hoping for a 45 marker on Race, I need to brush up with American politics as well by watching some videos and reading articles, what are you using to revise?
Original post by Michalia
Thanks you too ! don't leave out any topics, i'll say the one you dont like do it briefly but dont leave it out of your revision completely

Okay thank youu, what are you using to revise?
definitely needed 160 for an A and 140 for a B at AS so you were nearer an A than a C :smile:
you need 320 ums overall AS/A2 to get an A overall so you'd need to get mid/high As in both papers which would be like at least 66/90 in both

Thank you sooooooo much!!
Yeah literally :frown: I'm really risking missing out on the grade, I can get the A because I have high UMS at AS, but I don't know if I've left it too late :frown:
I'm hoping for a 45 marker on Race, I need to brush up with American politics as well by watching some videos and reading articles, what are you using to revise?

mainly the textbook, and anything that's not in the textbook that's in the spec I'm just researching on the internet, although there's one or two things I still don't know but if they come up I'll just answer the other questions

still super scared though!

good luck anyway :-)
mainly the textbook, and anything that's not in the textbook that's in the spec I'm just researching on the internet, although there's one or two things I still don't know but if they come up I'll just answer the other questions

Which textbook? I have that mini Edexcel guide. I guess I'll try do a topic a day and some exam practice Sunday :/ thank you and you too!
Original post by Bonnie and Clyde
Political parties really aren't that difficult, the topic is probably one of the only ones where you can ignore the textbook. That's because the parties topic requires you to be reading or watching the news constantly and being up to date with everything thats going on in Washington between the Republicans and the Democrats. So, if you wanna do well in the parties unit make sure you're reading the news. I have a lot of stuff on parties on my blog if you need more help:

Here's the news page which I update daily and add new stories to (most recent are at the bottom) with plenty of stuff to do with parties:
http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-news.html

Moderate conservatism in the GOP:
http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/is-moderate-conservatism-in-decline.html

Fiscal conservatism in the GOP:
http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/to-what-extent-do-fiscal-conservatives.html

Divisions within both the Democrats and Republicans:
http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/divisions-within-democratic-and.html

Hope that helps.

This blog is amazing!! Well done on putting it together. You know the notes section for each topic do they cover the whole specification or are they only revision notes? If that makes sense.
This blog is amazing!! Well done on putting it together. You know the notes section for each topic do they cover the whole specification or are they only revision notes? If that makes sense.

They're mainly just revision notes lol, don't necessarily cover the whole spec since I've spaced out the rest of the spec across various other posts.
Original post by Bonnie and Clyde
They're mainly just revision notes lol, don't necessarily cover the whole spec since I've spaced out the rest of the spec across various other posts.

Okay thanks, it's still a great bank of examples and articles which are up to date, I'll use my notes then and add examples from here:smile: I've got the advice of a few people on here which I really appreciate, would you recommend leaving out a topic and learning 3 rather than all 4? If so, which topic?
Which textbook? I have that mini Edexcel guide. I guess I'll try do a topic a day and some exam practice Sunday :/ thank you and you too!

just some generic A2 US politics textbook; it's blue and has Hodder education written on the front. It's not specifically tailored for edexcel though and I fear it leaves a fair bit out of unit 3 (although I think it covers everything for unit 4 as I got nearly full marks in my unit 4 mock just from the textbook)

I hate unit 3 though! Particularly pressure groups; they seem so easy but the questions on them are so easy to misinterpret and its difficult to have many examples :frown:
Okay thanks, it's still a great bank of examples and articles which are up to date, I'll use my notes then and add examples from here:smile: I've got the advice of a few people on here which I really appreciate, would you recommend leaving out a topic and learning 3 rather than all 4? If so, which topic?

Pressure groups since according to the pattern Edexcel typically follows in structuring the exam (3 pressure group 45 markers come up 3 years in a row and then skip a year) we can't get a 45 marker on it this year. But, I recommend still being prepared for it regardless.
- Would this question: Why did the Republicans win the 2014 mid-term elections? Be about the 2015 mid term rather than the 2014 elections
- Why did Obama win in 2012? - Unlikely to come up?
- What factors have contributed to the results of recent presidential and congressional elections in 2008 and 2012? - These years likely to come up or another year?

Thanks

Heyy how can I find the spec?
- Would this question: Why did the Republicans win the 2014 mid-term elections? Be about the 2015 mid term rather than the 2014 elections
- Why did Obama win in 2012? - Unlikely to come up?
- What factors have contributed to the results of recent presidential and congressional elections in 2008 and 2012? - These years likely to come up or another year?

Thanks

There isn't a 2015 midterm. Midterms take place two years into the presidents four year term so the next one won't be until 2018. So, yes you would definitely need to talk about 2014. :smile:
This sort of question could be fairly likely considering the paper was likely written just after the midterms, perhaps also consider 'To what extent were the 2014 elections a referendum on Obama'
Reply 78
Original post by Piledriver
There isn't a 2015 midterm. Midterms take place two years into the presidents four year term so the next one won't be until 2018. So, yes you would definitely need to talk about 2014. :smile:
This sort of question could be fairly likely considering the paper was likely written just after the midterms, perhaps also consider 'To what extent were the 2014 elections a referendum on Obama'

How would u answer tht q on to what extent midterm 2014 a referendum on Obama?? HeLP plz
Original post by TSweety
How would u answer tht q on to what extent midterm 2014 a referendum on Obama?? HeLP plz

You could argue either side, depending on your view but here's some points for the two sides :smile:

No it wasn't:
'Sixth-year itch' - The presidents party always does badly in midterms. In the 10 sixth-year elections an average of 6 sears have been lost because of the coattails effect.
Open seats - Statistically, the Democrats had more to lose with them defending 5 open seats of which they lost 4. Republicans had just 2.
Voter turnout - "There's two Americas, there's mid term America and presidential year America" The 2014 midterm had the lowest turnout of the post war period, with just 12% of under 30's turning out - A key demographic for Democrat support.

Yes it was:
Approval rating - Obamas approval rating was at just 39% plus exit polls showed 1/3 of voters used their vote as a means of expressing opposition. The failure of Bush in the 2006 midterms was due to Katrina and Iraq, for Obama it was ISIS Russia, and the failure to truly deliver the extent of universal care he promised.
The economy - 5 years after the recession Obama failed to convince the electorate that the economy was better than it seemed, with wages still remaining low. Exit polls suggested this was voters main concern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending