The Student Room Group

Bursary

Hi! I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm planning on doing an access course next year to go into nursing so am a long way off starting yet but I don't want to start an access course unless I know if it's something I can do.

I have a five month old daughter, but she will have just turned 2 when I start the degree. So just wanted to know, in terms of placements how often are you in? I've just done a bursary calculator and apparently I wouldn't get a parents learning allowance and nothing was mentioned about any sort of childcare allowance that you get with student finance. I don't think my bursary would even cover childcare let alone other bills if the online calculator is correct. Has anyone done nursing in a similar situation to mine? Is it possible? To any nursing students...How often are you in work/university? Or is there anyone I can speak to about it and find out if there's any other help? 21 questions I know, but it's a lot of money to part with for an access course just to find out it's pretty much impossible to do the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincessB93
Hi! I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm planning on doing an access course next year to go into nursing so am a long way off starting yet but I don't want to start an access course unless I know if it's something I can do.

I have a five month old daughter, but she will have just turned 2 when I start the degree. So just wanted to know, in terms of placements how often are you in? I've just done a bursary calculator and apparently I wouldn't get a parents learning allowance and nothing was mentioned about any sort of childcare allowance that you get with student finance. I don't think my bursary would even cover childcare let alone other bills if the online calculator is correct. Has anyone done nursing in a similar situation to mine? Is it possible? To any nursing students...How often are you in work/university? Or is there anyone I can speak to about it and find out if there's any other help? 21 questions I know, but it's a lot of money to part with for an access course just to find out it's pretty much impossible to do the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each uni do placements differently depending on the local trust and placement spaces available etc. But expect to be on placement for 6-8 weeks and it's hard going and stressful. So make sure you have family and or childcare available for 12 hours of the day etc. You have about 3 placements a year.
You should get childcare allowance on top of your normal bursary. However I'd get in contact with your local bursary dept just to check if you are very unsure. Depending on where you are resident and where you apply you may also be entitled to a reduced maintenance loan as well. There are many students with children and they manage it so it is doable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Brilliant! I didn't know you could get a maintenance loan as well, even if it is reduced that would be really helpful. Glad childcare allowance is an option too. It's about 3 days of the week I won't have childcare sorted for. My partner works mon - fri 9-5 so he can account for any of the anti social hours and have 2 family members who will do 1 day each. So will just need to pay for childcare for 3 days (depending on when my days off are), which could be doable if I were to get a childcare allowance, brilliant. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some universities also have financial aid for students who are struggling with support. Many nursing students work part time as well. When you apply for your bursary you will be able to find out what you're entitled to. But many parents manage it. It just comes with a lot of juggling and being strict with finances. If anything I would advise to start saving as much as you can beforehand as it will come in very useful. You can also claim back expenses for travel when on placement etc (or at least you can where I am) so bare this in mind too. It's doable and worth it if it's something you really want to do. Good luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending