The Student Room Group

How much sleep do I need?

I'm 16 years old and I only get around 2/3 hours sleep each night. This used to be because I wanted to put school off for as long as possible, but now it's just a habit. I find that I can do my homework best at around 1/2AM as well, so I usually have to stay up to finish it. I nap during school (accidentally) and when I get home I'll sleep for another hour or two, and I've been doing this for a few years now (but I get less and less sleep each year). Also, at the weekend I usually just crash and sleep for around 12 hours+.

I recently noticed that no one else in my year does this and I often see the recommended time is 8-10 hours. I was wondering what happens if you don't get enough sleep? If I slept more will I be more productive and generally healthier? I only get a minor cold once a year so it's not really affecting my physical health (well I don't think so anyway) but I worry that my sleeping habits might be detrimental to my GCSE results, and my mental health? I would like to be more confident and motivated but I don't know if that would change just because I sleep more :redface:

So if anyone used to have a few hours sleep and now sleep the recommended amount, did you notice any large changes? Or does anyone have any knowledge on this at all?
Thank you
It's not supposed to be very good for you mentally. I used to have a few hours a night during the week, admittedly I did get a very good lie in at the weekend, but now sleep kinda properly (in that I sleep 6-9 hours, generally towards the bottom, and lie about a lot) and while I wouldn't say that I feel much better, or think much better or anything I don't nap anymore. I used to nap all the way to and from college, which to be fair probably brought my total sleep up to a moderately reasonable amount, and it was hard to stay awake, particularly on the way back. Now the only times I need naps are after binge gaming sessions.
Disclaimer- this is just an opinion, seek a doctor for correct medical advice

I have generally gotten 1-2 hours a day for about 1 year and the previous year I had 3-4 and the effects are already showing e.g. random sleeping, muscle spasms in hands and pain in joints. If you continue on this path, the high likelihood is that it will mess up your sleeping pattern drastically, kill off brain cells and have physical discomfort, moreover you understand that your exams will be in the morning or afternoon. So if there is nothing essential that needs to completed, you should go to sleep and improve your sleeping pattern, or you will very likely regret it once you get to a levels and cannot stay awake in lessons or focus on your work.

GET SOME SLEEP AND STAY HEALTHY :smile:
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's not supposed to be very good for you mentally. I used to have a few hours a night during the week, admittedly I did get a very good lie in at the weekend, but now sleep kinda properly (in that I sleep 6-9 hours, generally towards the bottom, and lie about a lot) and while I wouldn't say that I feel much better, or think much better or anything I don't nap anymore. I used to nap all the way to and from college, which to be fair probably brought my total sleep up to a moderately reasonable amount, and it was hard to stay awake, particularly on the way back. Now the only times I need naps are after binge gaming sessions.

What a coincidence meeting you again :unimpressed:

:p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by polpo
What a coincidence meeting you again :unimpressed:

Just as off topic as your post, when was the first time?
Reply 5
Original post by Jammy Duel

thanks for the reply! I have noticed it's pretty much impossible to stay awake during some lessons, so no more napping is definitely a plus.

Original post by polpo
Disclaimer- this is just an opinion, seek a doctor for correct medical advice

I have generally gotten 1-2 hours a day for about 1 year and the previous year I had 3-4 and the effects are already showing e.g. random sleeping, muscle spasms in hands and pain in joints. If you continue on this path, the high likelihood is that it will mess up your sleeping pattern drastically, kill off brain cells and have physical discomfort, moreover you understand that your exams will be in the morning or afternoon. So if there is nothing essential that needs to completed, you should go to sleep and improve your sleeping pattern, or you will very likely regret it once you get to a levels and cannot stay awake in lessons or focus on your work.

GET SOME SLEEP AND STAY HEALTHY :smile:

Oh I have a lot of aches and pains but I thought that was just normalS: Thank you for the advice, I really don't like the sound of killing off brain cells.:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest