The Student Room Group

Losing Heat by Radiation?

Hi,

So radiation is the transfer of thermal energy via electromagnetic waves. I understand that the sun, producing electromagnetic waves, can warm us as we absorb the waves. But how do we produce electromagnetic waves to radiate out of our bodies?

Thanks.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Well, in essence, we do it in the same way that the sun does

Every single atom in the universe can absorb and emit infra-red radiation - otherwise everything you touch would have a temperature of absolute zero

Every atom in your body can conduct and emit energy to some degree. Infra-red radiation is has a relatively low energy/frequency, and a long wavelength, so it's an easy task for molecules in your body to emit it. This energy can also be passed from one atom or molecule to another, so heat (infra-red) energy from inside your body, generated by metabolic processes in our cells, can be radiated outwards

(It might also help to know, that infra-red and kinetic energies are very similar)
Reply 3
So if heat travels from your skin to the atmosphere due to a difference in body temperature and atmospheric pressure, would that be radiation? It just follows a temperature gradient, but I don’t know if this always occurs in waves, or what (or is this convection? In this particular case, I can’t tell the difference between the two).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending