The Student Room Group

Anyone else feel like this?

Most people here posting about hating uni seem to be freshers. Well, I'm in my 4th year of a language degree and I've pretty much hated it here. I didn't realise how unhappy I was until I went on Erasmus. I pretty much have no social life here, I was expecting to meet so many people and go out all the time, well I met a lot of people in Fresher's Week and after that never saw half of them again. The girls in my halls were nice in first year, but they weren't the going out sort. I did have a few friends there who would come to the cinema and for a pizza and stuff, which was OK. After first year it went downhill completely. The people on my course are all unpleasant, unfriendly and stuck up. They just aren't interested in making friends. Most of them live at home, since the uni is in a big city, so they come to a lecture and then go home, and still hang around with their friends from school. I join societies every year, and it's always great the first few weeks then things taper off and there's never anything on. The same happened this year, I was having a great time meeting new people, doing random stuff and it all fizzled out after a week or two. The thing is, I'm not even a clubbing kind of person - I like to go out and do stuff, but just go to the pub for a few drinks and things, and I have no-one to do it with! I get so bored and lonely.

My Erasmus year was great - going out all the time, doing random stuff - it made me realise how rubbish it is here. I just can't seem to make any friends here, I don't know how to meet people!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That sucks, you're putting the effort in it's not your fault. Which city are you in? Where did you go for Erasmus? Sorry I'm just being nosy...not sure what to do in your situation =(
Reply 2
Anonymous
Most people here posting about hating uni seem to be freshers. Well, I'm in my 4th year of a language degree and I've pretty much hated it here. I didn't realise how unhappy I was until I went on Erasmus. I pretty much have no social life here, I was expecting to meet so many people and go out all the time, well I met a lot of people in Fresher's Week and after that never saw half of them again. The girls in my halls were nice in first year, but they weren't the going out sort. I did have a few friends there who would come to the cinema and for a pizza and stuff, which was OK. After first year it went downhill completely. The people on my course are all unpleasant, unfriendly and stuck up. They just aren't interested in making friends. Most of them live at home, since the uni is in a big city, so they come to a lecture and then go home, and still hang around with their friends from school. I join societies every year, and it's always great the first few weeks then things taper off and there's never anything on. The same happened this year, I was having a great time meeting new people, doing random stuff and it all fizzled out after a week or two. The thing is, I'm not even a clubbing kind of person - I like to go out and do stuff, but just go to the pub for a few drinks and things, and I have no-one to do it with! I get so bored and lonely.

My Erasmus year was great - going out all the time, doing random stuff - it made me realise how rubbish it is here. I just can't seem to make any friends here, I don't know how to meet people!

Anyone else feel like this?
Yes! Sorry, I'm not getting excited about you not enjoying uni, but the fact that several of the things you've said are so similar to my own experiences it's almost as if I could have written it. I've done 3 years at Uni and in several ways it's been one of the most disappointing experiences of my life. I finally got to like my course but socially it's been a non-starter. I think the only things I'll get out of it by the end will be my degree and to have matured and developed as a person. Which aren't insignificant, but I was hopin for more. What's Erasmus? Because I've got so fed up I've decided to defer my final year and go to Canada for the year.
Anyway, not sure whether everyone else wants to listen to my ramblings, would you like to send me a PM? I'd send one to you but you're anon...
Reply 3
I always thought that staying at accomodation is much more fun than staying at home :frown:
well, I'm a fresher, but um, I feel the same way?

I'd like to know how the hell everyone has met new people, I haven't! Even when I talk to people they just sort of forget about me or talk to someone else who's interrupted the conversation, and anything I say after that gets ignored.

I'm invisible, yay
stand up for youself more make it so people remember you and want to talk to you over the other people.
Everyone on TSR is making me worried about starting uni next year!
Reply 7
I'm a second year and last year was miles better than it is this year, due to a number of factors...people dropping out over the summer and during the first year...only being in uni 3 days a week, the lecturers are boring mofos, send everyone to sleep during lectures so no one is learning anything, some like myself are becoming depressed...which means a lack of motivation to do anything so no one wants to have some fun...the one thing that made last year so good! It's a shame as some people are thinking of leaving uni, including myself as I just can't be arsed wasting my time and money on this s*** anymore, if it doesn't improve in the next few weeks I think I might leave, and I'll probably not be the only one!
MissSurfer

to be fair..thats only because the people who hate it so much bother to post. All the others are out having fun.

as for me, my first year was ok, could have been better..but could have been worse.

but the 2nd year has been the most boring sack of...ever. Barely anyone goes out anymore, the atmosphere is appaling, and ive grown bored of my uni already (ie looking round the local shops, going to the local resteraunts etc) was fun for a while..but has quickly become dull.

but ive done enough whinging about uni on TSR this week, so ill end there!
M j R
I'm a second year and last year was miles better than it is this year, due to a number of factors...people dropping out over the summer and during the first year...only being in uni 3 days a week, the lecturers are boring mofos, send everyone to sleep during lectures so no one is learning anything, some like myself are becoming depressed...which means a lack of motivation to do anything so no one wants to have some fun...the one thing that made last year so good! It's a shame as some people are thinking of leaving uni, including myself as I just can't be arsed wasting my time and money on this s*** anymore, if it doesn't improve in the next few weeks I think I might leave, and I'll probably not be the only one!

i feel EXACTLY the same.

lectures (i do business) are either dull, or just patronisingly easy...and miss out all the important stuff off the course.

also we dont do enough hours in a week to get a good working rythm going, i have like 1 hour a day, 2 tops...so i have breif moments of motivation, then have to wait 24hours for the next lecture, but then the motivations been lost!

and people just dont go out anymore, theres no 'randomness' like there was in year1. Where people would just text each other and decide to go out. Now everyones tootired/haventgotthemoney/gottoomuchworktodo etc etc

nobody wants to have fun anymore...SOME of that is due to no longer living in halls, but not all of it..even the freinds i met in halls rarely do anything anymore.
Reply 10
Rooftopcowboy
i feel EXACTLY the same.

lectures (i do business) are either dull, or just patronisingly easy...and miss out all the important stuff off the course.

also we dont do enough hours in a week to get a good working rythm going, i have like 1 hour a day, 2 tops...so i have breif moments of motivation, then have to wait 24hours for the next lecture, but then the motivations been lost!

and people just dont go out anymore, theres no 'randomness' like there was in year1. Where people would just text each other and decide to go out. Now everyones tootired/haventgotthemoney/gottoomuchworktodo etc etc

nobody wants to have fun anymore...SOME of that is due to no longer living in halls, but not all of it..even the freinds i met in halls rarely do anything anymore.

I'm still in halls, just half my flat is me, kam and shambles but the other half are final year students who keep themselves to themselves...and on my course only me kam and now one more live in halls some live in houses miles away from uni...but two out of like 8 of my close mates take the train to uni...so we only see each other when we're at uni...which it's all cramed into about 5 hours a day for 3 days...with only a hour break at most! And travelling on the train they want to be home before like 7ish so they don't hang around, ends up being me and kam on our own watching TV eps...which is entertaining but gets dry after a few days!
You Lot Are Putting Me Off Goin Uni Nxt Year!!! Ur Makin Sound As Fun As Gettin Hit By A Train.............a Freight Train
Yep, well not exactly. I don't have problems with friends cos I have some great friends, though am not exactly in the cool crowd and am quite shy. My problem is the work. I can't do it- I do three different modules and in all three I'm struggling. I don't enjoy the practicals much and quite often don't understand the point of what we're meant to be doing. When I'm trying to do the class work I can sit for hours and go round in circles or get nowhere, only to hand in a blank page. Then in the classes I'm always the one that doesn't know the answers or have the vaguest idea what the teacher is on about. People have told us second year is far better because you're doing 3 modules not 4 but I just can't cope. I'm sick of it and just want to go home. There's barely any time to go out or even do things that aren't work or lectures, and then when you do you feel guilty cos of all the work. I just want to sleep all the time, I'm so tired, and it's not due to lack of sleep, I usually get 8 hours a night. Sorry, that was a rather long moan, think I just needed to get it off my chest.
londonboym
You Lot Are Putting Me Off Goin Uni Nxt Year!!! Ur Makin Sound As Fun As Gettin Hit By A Train.............a Freight Train

as ive said in this thread, bare in mind that only the whingers bother to post on here. Theres thousands accross the country that love uni.

whereas ive just never 'got it' and settled in really.
londonboym

Nah don't worry. When I was getting ready to go to uni I was so so frightened, I moved like 500 miles away from home and knew I wouldn't really ever be back again as my parents now live in spain... but I got here and although it was scary and a little lonely at first everything has settled down nicely.
Even two/three months in now I'm still meeting new people and adding people to the little social circle.
You will find when you get there it really isn't too bad, everyone has different tastes and likes and you just have to be open to everything. I've found from my own experiences it isn't always clubbing as some people make out, often our flat will just stick movies on and order pizza, or go and find a quiet bar in the locals part of town!

My one tip to all freshers would be not to dismiss your flatmates straight away, it's easier for everyone if there is a nice chummy athmosphere around the house!

Good luck and sorry for rambling and hijacking the thread!
MissSurfer

lol, not everyone has bad experiences with uni. Just people who are having problems obviously decide to post here. I've been at uni for about 2 months now, loving it. The work's awful at times but the social aspects are great.
Rooftopcowboy
i feel EXACTLY the same.

Don't complain about a lack of lectures, I have them 9-4 most days and I'd happily trade my timetable for yours.:p:
Reply 17
imma fresher and now pooin myself about next year..... thankyou :frown:
oxygenbubbles
Don't complain about a lack of lectures, I have them 9-4 most days and I'd happily trade my timetable for yours.:p:

loads of people say things like that..but its hard for them to understand how depressing it gets after doing 18months of it.

i have no schedule or structure, some days my lectures are at 5pm, others 9am, some 4pm...its all over the place.

so ive never been able to get into a rythm, whereas with more intense courses (and school back in the day) its usually 9am starts all the time, so you get used to waking up a set time, and generally are just more organised. Whereas now ive finished for the day..and wont have another lecture till monday at 5pm, which is ages and ages away!
Rooftopcowboy
loads of people say things like that..but its hard for them to understand how depressing it gets after doing 18months of it.

i have no schedule or structure, some days my lectures are at 5pm, others 9am, some 4pm...its all over the place.

so ive never been able to get into a rythm, whereas with more intense courses (and school back in the day) its usually 9am starts all the time, so you get used to waking up a set time, and generally are just more organised. Whereas now ive finished for the day..and wont have another lecture till monday at 5pm, which is ages and ages away!

You could just get into a routine of getting up and going to the library, doing your own work and fitting your lecture in at whatever time it might be at that day. That way, you'd be working all day and be in more of a routine. My flatmate is doing languages and she always says that my medical timetable's better because it's more structured and regular, I'm still not convinced, especially when I'm leaving for 9am lectures knowing she's still in bed.:p: In saying all of that, your timetable means you have time to do your own work and stay on top of things, it's easy to fall behind with a full timetable. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending