The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Theres actually a scheme run by SGUL where they have a week long introduction to medicine course, for free...that does the job of medlink way better. Get to go on wards, example lectures etc etc all for FREE! Check it out...

http://www.london.ac.uk/tasters
Reply 21
It won't help you get into med school, like everyone says you need work experience and voluntary work for that, and you should want to do that anyway.
However, medlink can tell you a lot about the profession - note I say 'can', my school had already told me much of it and the rest you can find out yourself, but if you'd like to be told, then it could be useful. However Mr Motivational Speaker is one of the biggest prats I have had the misfortune to meet, and isn't even funny. He told the Law conference he was a lawyer, Medlink he was a doctor etc.
If you want to, go. People say it's a waste of money to go just to enjoy yourself, but I say people spend money going to Alton Towers or something purely to have fun, so you can't really say it's a waste just for that reason.
One hint - if you do go and they try to sell you the £10 'medfaxx' cd "vital" resourse about med schools, if you want one buy one between several of you and copy it, much cheaper. :smile:
edit: forgot to say, if you do go and it makes you decide that medicine is not for you, then it's all the more useful really - you spent £250 to decide that, not 5 years x £3000 tuition fees etc before you decided!

And, note to those saying 'you have to walk miles to lectures for 9am' - at least it helped you decide not to apply to nottingham then, presumably! :P
Reply 22
And, note to those saying 'you have to walk miles to lectures for 9am' - at least it helped you decide not to apply to nottingham then, presumably! :P

No way distance wouldn't bother me one bit, Nottingham was never on my list to study Medicine, loads of students have to travel long distances to go to lectures, I woludn't think that having to trek for ages to lectures would put somebody off selecting a particular Medical School,there are so many other factors to consider.
there should just be a sticky in this section - "medlink/medsim" are money making schemes cooked up by people who didn't make it to med school and staffed by a few random juniour doctors and med students.

Latest

Trending

Trending