The Student Room Group

Missed 4 weeks of uni...

Realistically, am I screwed? I have mitigating circumstances, but now I do feel determined to pull my finger out and catch up. I'm in first year.
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Realistically, am I screwed? I have mitigating circumstances, but now I do feel determined to pull my finger out and catch up. I'm in first year.

Given that you would have missed a ton of lectures, tests etc., I would call it alarming but not to the point of being screwed though you're close to that
If you have mitigating circumstances, I'm sure your department will be understanding and give you as much help as they can.
Does your department know about your mitigating circumstances? If yes then you ought to be able to speak to the lecturers to catch up on what you missed. If no then you should probably tell them.

In the grand scheme of things missing a few weeks in first year probably isn't going to cause you to fail your degree.
Original post by Manitude
Does your department know about your mitigating circumstances? If yes then you ought to be able to speak to the lecturers to catch up on what you missed. If no then you should probably tell them.

In the grand scheme of things missing a few weeks in first year probably isn't going to cause you to fail your degree.

Yeh they all know :smile: thanks this is reassuring
Yeh they all know :smile: thanks this is reassuring

As long as you do catch up then you'll be cool.

First year grades don't generally count but it's a great time to boost your academic writing skills. Also, stuff that you learn this year - even if just skimming through the 16 or so powerpoints, may be useful for the future.

You've submitted mitigating circumstances, so they'll have to take this into account. :yes:
Original post by Roving Fish
As long as you do catch up then you'll be cool.

First year grades don't generally count but it's a great time to boost your academic writing skills. Also, stuff that you learn this year - even if just skimming through the 16 or so powerpoints, may be useful for the future.

You've submitted mitigating circumstances, so they'll have to take this into account. :yes:

Ah thank you! I feel so so reassured :smile:
You spoke about how you pulled your finger out, my advice to you would be the same as most i guess, and to put it back in again.

All the best, i'm sure you'll be fine. Mate missed a month last year and he got a solid 3rd so i don't think you have anything to worry about.

Good luck!
Thanks guys - back on track now and I'm on track for a 2.2 despite missing most of the year... It definitely is achievable :smile:
Well done! Go you! :smile:
Reply 10

If you have mitigation I wouldn't worry too much plus you're first year so it should be okay. If you are really worried contact the uni or do you have a tutor to talk to? It's good to talk to someone in the uni and you can talk to them about anything! Hope I have helped could you please help me out and fill out my dissertation survey it only takes 30 seconds! Thanks in advance! https://docs.google.com/a/student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/forms/d/1-s0fcNoXPjS5JNnDVmyPwoNF2yjerEDTZ4b6mqw1ggM/viewform
Update - just got results and I got a 2.1 yay!!!!!!!! :smile:

Quick Reply