The Student Room Group

Originally Applied for Children's Nursing, considering applying for LD nursing HELP!!

Hi,

I have sent my application off for Children's Nursing for Edge Hill, JMU and Chester. I have an interview for all 3 choices, already had my interview for Edge Hill yesterday but don't think I will get a place because I didn't finish my Maths paper. I am now worried that I won't get any offers because of the maths and because Children's nursing is so competitive.

I am no considering applying for Learning Disabilities Nursing at Edge Hill, as I am equally as interested in this career as I as I am with Children's.

My concern is when to do this because universities don't look upon this that highly and I also the first sentence of personal statement is 'Children's Nursing has been a career I have wanted to pursue for as long as I can remember'. Are they going to knock be back straight away even though the first paragraph of my personal statement talks about me working one to one with a little girl with server autism.

Thanks Becky
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not a nurse or a nursing student, so I may be wrong about how the application cycle works, but I think it would be best for you to take a year out and reapply for LD nursing next year if it's what you really want to do. If you apply with a statement for child nursing then it will look as though you're just trying to get onto any nursing course that will take you. You need to show focus, and your statement will need to demonstrate some knowledge and awareness of LD - saying "I worked with a little girl who had severe autism" will not be enough, they will expect you to write down what you learned from it about LD (assuming this little girl had LD, of course - not all people with autism do, even severe autism) and how the job prepared you for the LD nursing course (relevant skills gained, etc). Also, for LD nursing you will need to pass the same numeracy and literacy tests, so if completing them on time is an issue then you should practise a bit.

I had a full-time job with people with LD, including people who also had dementia on top of their LD, and it was fascinating - LD nurses are very badly needed and if you're sure this is what you want to do then go for it. But make sure it is what you want, and it's not just a second best option because you're worried about getting into children's nursing. I think people with LD are marginalised in so many areas of life that they need nurses who are prepared to put them first. Good luck. :smile:
Probably best to wait and see if you do get any offers. If you don't you could always go for extra or whatever it's called and apply for ld nursing then.
Original post by opalescent
I'm not a nurse or a nursing student, so I may be wrong about how the application cycle works, but I think it would be best for you to take a year out and reapply for LD nursing next year if it's what you really want to do. If you apply with a statement for child nursing then it will look as though you're just trying to get onto any nursing course that will take you. You need to show focus, and your statement will need to demonstrate some knowledge and awareness of LD - saying "I worked with a little girl who had severe autism" will not be enough, they will expect you to write down what you learned from it about LD (assuming this little girl had LD, of course - not all people with autism do, even severe autism) and how the job prepared you for the LD nursing course (relevant skills gained, etc). Also, for LD nursing you will need to pass the same numeracy and literacy tests, so if completing them on time is an issue then you should practise a bit.

I had a full-time job with people with LD, including people who also had dementia on top of their LD, and it was fascinating - LD nurses are very badly needed and if you're sure this is what you want to do then go for it. But make sure it is what you want, and it's not just a second best option because you're worried about getting into children's nursing. I think people with LD are marginalised in so many areas of life that they need nurses who are prepared to put them first. Good luck. :smile:

Original post by angel_delight
Probably best to wait and see if you do get any offers. If you don't you could always go for extra or whatever it's called and apply for ld nursing then.

Thanks guys really appreciate your responses. I think my plan is now I have had all 3 of my interviews for Children's nursing is to wait to hear back of them and if I'm unsuccessful, I will apply for LD nursing through Extra or Clearing.

Opalescent I defiantly understand what your saying I think I applied now with personal statement I've got I would be rejected straight away because of it. And I am aware that an English and Maths test is involved in the interview process for LD nursing too. My heart is equally in both, and I believe I have the relevant experience for both.

Thanks for your help xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending